PDA

View Full Version : moving metric rear upper arm mounts

racer67x
11-21-2014, 04:37 PM
is there anything to be gained by adding another hole above the stock frame locations on the rear uppers?
I made a bracket to add a hole above the left rear lower thinking its somewhat like a late model where you get increased bite by putting more angle in the bars..
I plan on adding a little length to the arms to keep the wheelbase the same but the way the factory mounts are made it would take some creative cutting to get a little more out of the uppers?
wondering if anyone has tried this or if there is a better way,basic rule is its legal if there is no panhard bar but some of the guys last year had the lr hiking up like they were running birdcages.
thanks..

racer67x
11-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Raise ride height?

no..keep the ride ht where it should be but put more angle in the upper arms.
I see guys running lower brackets on the rearend that almost touch the ground,since you can't lower the uppers..would it be beneficial to raise the mounts?

Racer96m
11-22-2014, 06:31 AM
There is an easier way to move the upper frame mounts on the chassis if that is what you want to do. You move the entire rear frame crossmember up or down. Really easy to do and the stock mounts in the crossmember never get touched. There are a couple big rivets to knock out and a little cutting and then you can put it where ever you want.

Dave

racer67x
11-22-2014, 12:42 PM
No

why are they running the lowers to the ground? if you don't know then why would you do it?

did you even read what I posted?

or do you just randomly throw off your 4th grade attitude?

DirtRacer9x
11-22-2014, 04:31 PM
You must be on your meds right now because you're not going off on people as much haha.

racer67x
11-22-2014, 10:40 PM
There is an easier way to move the upper frame mounts on the chassis if that is what you want to do. You move the entire rear frame crossmember up or down. Really easy to do and the stock mounts in the crossmember never get touched. There are a couple big rivets to knock out and a little cutting and then you can put it where ever you want.

Dave

thanks Dave,I looked at either doing that or just cutting the existing metal to add more adjustment.
was just wondering if the work would be worth it.
I don't know who you are Scd or what you're selling but I thought I made it clear in my first post that adding angle helps forward bite,ten years of running Rockets taught me that..I just don't have alot of experience trying to adapt the same principals to a Sportsman type car.
our rules have finally opened up to what most guys have been allowed to do for years and I'm looking at ways to be competitive..

DirtRacer9x
11-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Jet says, "LR angle adds drive to that tire".

koltveitracing67
11-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Im not knocking anyone else, but my advice would be to listen to what dave has to say. I know first hand that he knows what he talking about,and is very free with his helpfull advice.

Racer96m
11-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks Rick. There is many setups that can win. When we ran metrics, I had alot of angle in the uppers and yes that raises your rear roll center and will cost you side bite if that is all you do,so like anything else you have to work in other areas to compensate for that. I also had angle in the LR lower, to aide the roll steer. My car never carried the LF, I like 4 tires working more than 3. We were rather successful running this way, but like I said, there are many setups that can win.

Dave

DirtRacer9x
11-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Stocky boy has left the building 👍👍👍 Go back to Cali loser.

QQQQ
11-25-2014, 09:50 AM
You obviously have a problem with the guy, but lets not junk up every thread with this crap, starting to remind me of $UMP$ in the gossip section, and thats not a good thing. lol

racer67x
11-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks Rick. There is many setups that can win. When we ran metrics, I had alot of angle in the uppers and yes that raises your rear roll center and will cost you side bite if that is all you do,so like anything else you have to work in other areas to compensate for that. I also had angle in the LR lower, to aide the roll steer. My car never carried the LF, I like 4 tires working more than 3. We were rather successful running this way, but like I said, there are many setups that can win.

Dave

I never wanted to try it to lift the left front but was more interested in having the car hike up the left rear coming off the turn..get it up on the bars so to speak.
didn't want to start a pissing contest with this thread,just wanted to know if the reward justified the work involved.
thanks for the replies..
Danny

Racer96m
11-25-2014, 05:35 PM
There is no one magic thing that makes a crappy car and an average driver now win. Its alot of things working together. Is it worth it? You would have to be the judge of that. All I can comment on is what I did. When I got the car the way I wanted it, (took 3 seasons to sort) the thing drove its self and was very hard to beat. I threw a 16yr old kid in the car that never drove anything and a couple years later won the National Title.

Dave

Racer96m
11-26-2014, 11:47 AM
SCD would be correct, I ran 57% rear with a ton of LR. All lead was left of the center line. We didnt have a spoiler, but the UMP tires are better. Getting it balanced is the key so you get your side bite, but dont roll over on the RR so hard that it carries the LF. Took alot of work, but thats what I like to do.

Dave

Driver88
11-26-2014, 10:57 PM
SCD would be correct, I ran 57% rear with a ton of LR. All lead was left of the center line. We didnt have a spoiler, but the UMP tires are better. Getting it balanced is the key so you get your side bite, but dont roll over on the RR so hard that it carries the LF. Took alot of work, but thats what I like to do.

Dave

What are you calling a ton of LR?

Racer96m
11-27-2014, 07:11 AM
I ran it 440LBS LR heavy.

Dave

oilman
11-27-2014, 11:57 AM
A little research will prove that Dave and SCD were both very successful street stock racers. On a national scale.They are nice enough to participate, and yet someone tries to run one of them off. Unreal.
You don't see Jimmy Owens or Steve Francis responding to questions in the late model section.

DirtRacer9x
11-27-2014, 02:02 PM
A little research will prove that Dave and SCD were both very successful street stock racers. On a national scale.They are nice enough to participate, and yet someone tries to run one of them off. Unreal.You don't see Jimmy Owens or Steve Francis responding to questions in the late model section.Activate your old account 👍. You can go away stocky friend.

rcstreet1
11-30-2014, 01:16 PM
I ran it 440LBS LR heavy.

Dave

Did you run a lot of stagger when u ran 440 lbs of bite

Racer96m
11-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes, the "Big Bite" setup only works if you can get it to turn so lots of stagger when its heavy and less when its slick. I had at least 2" of stagger even on the slickest of tracks. Its a combination of Stagger, Offsets, Rear steer, left side weight and weight placement. You have to be able to read the track and make the necessary adjustments, nothings ever easy.

Dave

twizted
12-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Deleted post

fast_crew
12-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Twizted would you mind sharing with the public what you were able to find? While everyone has there different opinions and ideas his results showed on the track.

twizted
12-07-2014, 04:11 PM
If you remeber 5-6 years ago on here Stock Car was preaching a balanced setup that few people ran and most bashed him over. I got a baseline of that setup and made it work on my car.

cheaterleaddog
12-07-2014, 05:37 PM
my bad, the way I read your first post it said you were THINKING it added forward bite, as in meaning you were not sure.

Angle in lowers on a opposed 4 link gm car does not add forward bite or drive. all the angle does is add rear steer, so if you stack a ton of lead in the rear with a real high percentage and angle the lr a bunch it will add rear steer and let you turn still.

explain please.

twizted
12-08-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm not close enough friends with Jeff to post this but i guess he can throw me under the bus. It is in good humor man.

stockcar5
12-08-2014, 08:28 PM
I made than one. It was one of my favs!!

twizted
12-09-2014, 05:15 AM
Ok let me say I posted this as a joke not to make fun of Stock Car. I also will say I have a lot of respect for his ideas. I also want to know why people are commenting on my profile or private message with stuff like "JJ is a not nice word"? People gonna burn my house down cause I said a nice word about tha man?

nikk
12-12-2014, 08:48 AM
It seems that this thread has got away from the original question. I was told by a well respected chassis builder at his school that lowering the mounts on the chassis will improve the rear roll center in these cars. Thoughts?

pure 17
12-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Don't mean to sound rude…but does anyone have a straight forward answer as to if one should move the mounts up or down?

setup479point2
12-12-2014, 10:25 AM
I have seen all kinds of combinations work , there is no perfect position . Simplest thing to do is , leave mounts in stock position , and change ride height to get the drive you want . Start at 10" in back and 9" in front . Pulling the LF on exit , lower the ride heights . Not enough drive raise the back more . This isn't perfect , but it is simple and easy to change . I help street stocks all over the country , what works in Iowa may not work in New York , or what works for one driver won't work for another at the same track , with the same car . I've got metrics with 200 LR 175 RR , and another with 200 LR 275 RR , some running 51% rear , some with 56% . my point is , there is no perfect set up for everybody.

stockcar5
12-13-2014, 01:16 PM
I've run low rear % setups in the past and i currently run higher rear %. The low rear % and the more lever rear lower arms was ok but no better than what i run now. I have a hard time finding spots to put any more lead to even get my rear % low enough to work with level control arms.. I have all my lead in front of the rear end now and still have 56 rear.

dirtplay18
12-15-2014, 11:28 AM
I played around with this and had good luck with it. What I did was this: I simulated the ride height of the car as it went through the corner, did this by taking springs out and lowering car to where the travel indicator on the shocks touched. I then leveled both rear arms on the chassis side and drilled mounting holes. Car worked great and is still a winning car today. As long as your ride height isn't anything too exotic, the left upper will probably be close keeping in the stock hole. Just remember if u make a ride height change, its going to change your arm position a little.