PDA

View Full Version : Modified build guide?

W2Racing09
11-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Greetings All,

So it looks like I might pull the trigger on purchasing a somewhat old Mod chassis ('03 BMS). I expect this to be more of a learning experience than anything, considering I've never built a car from start to finish. This thing will include almost everything to make it a full roller, just not assembled.

My question is -- would there be any place that might have a guide to assembling these things? Or a diagram or something? I've never had any type of car street legal or otherwise that I needed to assemble from the ground up so I'm almost lost as to where to start.

Thanks,
Jeff.

powerslide
11-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Good luck my friend. Budget 400-500 for nuts and bolts. They dont say these things nickel and dime you to death for nothing. For it to be a "basket" buy it would have to be extremely cheap for me to consider it.

LateModel B23
11-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Start at the front and work to back OR back to front. Go to site like GRT and look at their parts detail for when someone orders a new car. They will be more on top of that like seat, belts, etc.

W2Racing09
11-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Good luck my friend. Budget 400-500 for nuts and bolts. They dont say these things nickel and dime you to death for nothing. For it to be a "basket" buy it would have to be extremely cheap for me to consider it.

About $500 for a 2003 BMS with just about everything to make it a roller. Seems like a pretty decent deal, but I am buying it for the experience of building it too. No better way to get acquainted with it than building it from scratch for the most part. That is a lot of nuts and bolts! At least I won't be bored in the garage from now on.

Thanks,
Jeff.

W2Racing09
11-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Start at the front and work to back OR back to front. Go to site like GRT and look at their parts detail for when someone orders a new car. They will be more on top of that like seat, belts, etc.

That is good advice, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to build one for sure.

Thanks,
Jeff.

W2Racing09
11-24-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm just thinking also --- while everyone is putting cars together this off season someone should put together a guide with pictures. I'd pay $50 - $60 for one, and if you get 10-15 people who would do that its $1000 to do something you would do anyway.

Thanks,
Jeff.

racin6mod
11-24-2014, 06:19 PM
http://pitstopusa.com/images/M14603980.jpg

closest book there is it's for lm but good info for any car.

Duckhnter83
11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
There isn't 500 to 600 dollars in bolts! That's a crazy figure for bolts. But it is the small things that add up fast putting one together. If its a chassis that has been disassembled and everything is therea guy who knows what he is doing could have it together in a day. Don't let these guys fool you. For 500 if the rear end is there and all front suspension you have that amount just in parts there. Have fun with it and it is the best way to learn what and how your car works by putting it together.

Krooser
11-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Clean and organize the parts. Separate them… front suspension, rear suspension, etc. You'd be wise to do a mock up and then change what needs to be changed. No doubt you will have to do some fabrication work… brackets, move the seat to fit, stuff like that. Take it slow and easy…

I'm starting with a bare chassis and a box of suspension parts… I have to fab everything else. Good clean fun...