PDA

View Full Version : Cracked magnesium side bell

RW57
11-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Jones Quick Change cracked at top bolt hole on side bell . 1st question can it be welded.2nd question does it need to be the 4 bolts are threaded into the axle tubes which are steel it looks like to me if the bolts are threaded into tube if all 4 are tight it can not go anywhere it took a big hit on right side last race breaking the j bar.I know a lot of bells I look at have stress cracks also did some one not come up with a jig that enables you to check tube for straightness that slips over snout of axle tube if so where can I find one thanks.

hammond motorsports
11-24-2014, 09:04 PM
If mag it can be welded , The bolts to the bell to tubes you can just drill them to 3/8 and use a 3/8bolt and nut , Just put head of bolt inside the tube But before you pull it apart just remove any of your mounts on center and put tires on rear . with the rear end just setting on your tire (on the floor out of car) just spine the rear end 360 degrees around holding the tires still so they do not turn . If the tire moves in and out its bent . Then as your spinning it look and bell where and tube meet and see if that is running true or not as spinning the rear end around.

TheJet-09
11-24-2014, 11:59 PM
I like Hammond's method for checking. Keyser (Port City Racing) also makes a tool - part #100 7400 ($69.95).

Matt49
11-25-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure I understand why a special tool or special method is required to check for a bent tube.
Just measure from the flat edge of the bell out to the brake rotor. Measure in about 8 places all the way around and they should all be the same. If they're not, it's bent. No tools required and no need to take anything apart.

Brian Gray
11-25-2014, 03:17 PM
You can even do a quick check with your toe plates

hpmaster
11-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Mark a spot on inside of tires measure between tires at rear of car, rotate 180 degrees to front measure between again, rotate 90 degrees measure between at top then rotate 180 to bottom and measure. A little toe in isn't bad but toe out can kill a car. All should be pretty close. Not saying right or wrong but seems to work for us.

RW57
11-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks I checked it front and back did not think about checking it in several places like that sometimes I out think my self. I have to take it out anyway so I am gonna do it like Hammond is talking about also .Where I went today they told me they had a jig to straighten them but they may have thought I had aluminum tubes.

hpmaster
11-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks I checked it front and back did not think about checking it in several places like that sometimes I out think my self. I have to take it out anyway so I am gonna do it like Hammond is talking about also .Where I went today they told me they had a jig to straighten them but they may have thought I had aluminum tubes.

After having an aluminum tube break once I am gun shy about them having any issues. jmho

RW57
11-26-2014, 04:59 PM
We are required to have steel tubes car weighs 2700 pounds I would not use aluminum if they were legal car to heavy in my opinion