PDA

View Full Version : Want to go sportmod racing from open wheel, any advice?

racecrzy
12-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Raced open wheel for several years but would like to race a sportmod for safety reasons and more options to race around me and have some questions. Is the learning curve to steep on suspension compared to a torsion bar suspension? I am limited on crew(my wife and maybe a friend now and then, it worked before but is this feasible with a modified ? Any other advice you have to offer I would appreciate.

racin6mod
12-04-2014, 02:16 PM
A local racer the switch and he's happier so fare. the hp difference took him a while to get used to. with the sport mod you have to keep your momentum up if you get out of shape or have to get on the breaks it takes a few more laps to get back to speed. In my area we've seen guys from all classes moving to sport mod and loving it. the lower cost to compete is making this the biggest class at a lot of tracks.

before buying a car research and see what chassis are doing the best in your area. a lot of guys are just modifying A- mods if done right they work very well. Some chassis builders are now building sport mods.

W2Racing09
12-04-2014, 02:47 PM
No advice to give here since I live outside of the IMCA area, but your wife is a keeper if she is helping out on the race car.

racecrzy
12-04-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm in the Kansas City are so there are a lot of chassis builders within a few hours of me so that should help maybe. There are a lot of different chassis that win around here but I will be looking at something newer and turn key, just not sure which sanctioning body to run with? we only have a couple of IMCA tracks and a lot of USRA tracks. I'm sure it will just take seat time as with anything. I know the learning curve will be a big hurdle as far as tuning the suspension goes and the driving style is a lot different also.

racecrzy
12-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Would it be worth it to go to one of the chassis seminars/classes ahead of time or later after a year in the car if at all?

racincowboy3
12-04-2014, 04:29 PM
I drive a modified, and crew on a usac sprinter, and believe that you wont find it as hard to understand the tunability of the car as you think it is. A lot of the principles are similar believe it or not. Go to a couple races. Find someone that might be able to "take you under their wing" and work with you, even if that means your buying into them liking a certain chassis or what have you as they will have more int he arsenal to help you get the job done.

racecrzy
12-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I drive a modified, and crew on a usac sprinter, and believe that you wont find it as hard to understand the tunability of the car as you think it is. A lot of the principles are similar believe it or not. Go to a couple races. Find someone that might be able to "take you under their wing" and work with you, even if that means your buying into them liking a certain chassis or what have you as they will have more int he arsenal to help you get the job done.

Thanks, nice to know at least some of what I know will translate a little.