PDA

View Full Version : ROCKET is out in space........

wismadman
12-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Tried some new things that a ROCKET dealer is running and runs fast. I changed my stuff and the season was a big struggle. The stacked right front killed me for most of the season trying to get it to work. How much would these other things hurt?
1) moving the birdcage and pick up points out on left rear? (1 1/2?)
2) standing the traction shock up on little bar out side the main tube.
3) running a shorter lift bar mounted in between the bells. Just right of center.
4) running j-bar lower than pinion shaft center on right side. ( 1 1/4 down )
5)Too much camber on right front.
6)stopping rearend moving with chain on left rear at 13 1/2 between bottom of frame and top of axle tube.
Call me crazy or nuts but thought I was doing all the new dates for 2014 but the crossmember.
Than throw a stacker 350 bottoming out to hit a 800. Plus running some crazy hold down shocks from Penske. Help Help Help. Thanks Racer of 18 years.

rocket1*
12-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a Ruhlman car. Is it a blue front car?

wismadman
12-11-2014, 12:52 AM
yep. won championship in 08 and be out to lunch since.

7uptruckracer
12-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Ruhlman runs hybrid spindle combos to didn't see that listed. He runs Frame Side Jbar lower then pinion did I read that right?

hucktyson
12-11-2014, 07:34 AM
No it says he's running the pinion side of the j bar 1.25" below centerline ... Nothing earth shattering there .

7uptruckracer
12-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Sounds like a car that would be really tight on entry IMO. Sorry Huck coffee isn't fully consumed its cold here in VA

Kwoods25
12-11-2014, 08:23 AM
what issues are you having, how was the car acting?

let-r-eat
12-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Sounds like you did everything to tighten the car up where it became undrivable. I'm with 25 here and have to ask what the car is doing. You won a championship so you can apparently drive the thing. What do you want the car to do that it isn't doing?

DRTRCR22
12-17-2014, 07:12 PM
just my opinion here... I am far from any kind of expert, but I have been to a couple driving and chassis schools... and the one thing I clearly remember the instructors telling us that we all need to quit the "Monkey See - Monkey Do" game. They explain that you can line up ten identical cars, and each one of them will need different setups for each different driver's driving style and different track conditions. They further explain that YOU need to find what YOU need, (or think you need), for your baseline setup that works for YOU, and if you have a problem fix that one problem only, one step at a time. they add if you were to put in a substitute driver it is highly unlikely he/she can drive your car near as well as you, because you have the car set up for YOU....! Too often we see drivers sneak thru the pits to spy on what the hot-shot's car setup is, then run back to their car and throw all his setups on their car... then have the worst night of their career. Why... because what they thought was the 'magic secret' from the best most winning pro out there will never work for them and they shot themselves in their toe, beating themselves instead of concentrating on their own program... "Monkey See - Money Do = fail :/ You never stated what condition you were trying to correct...??? Was there even a problem to start with, or are you looking for that secret magic sweet spot that will make you beat everyone else forever more...??? The largest percentage of drivers do not get beat by their competition, or because their car is trash, it is because they beat themselves. Find a firm baseline foundation setup that works good for YOU, then IF you have a problem try to chase that glitch down one step at a time... one change at a time... keeping good notes of what that change did or did not do to correct your problem, so you can go back to your original baseline foundation without having to start all over on the drawing board again. If you don't really have a problem... just learn to adapt and change your driving style where you and your car come together in a mutual understanding. I have heard so many war stories from the experts where their car got wrecked and crippled during a race, but they kept going and wound up finishing in better place than they normally would have when their car is 'perfect'... all because they adapted to the broken leg and learned to run faster... which surprised the hell out of them when it was all over and the dust cleared. I myself have been guilty of all the above many times, and sometimes still have to stop myself from doing it again. I stop and take a deep breath and remember what I have learned from the Pros in their sit down educational classes... and put their words into MY program, not worrying about what the cat in the pit stall next to me is doing... ;) Again... this is just my feeble opinion... not hating... just sayin...

setup479point2
12-17-2014, 08:06 PM
DRTRCR22 , Very good post . Always set the car up to the driver . Not to say we don't try things , but always keep that baseline handy if the changes don't work . Here the original poster had a set up that only worked for certain track conditions , and decided to see if they could get a more consistent set up . Hasn't worked out to well .

talclipse
12-18-2014, 05:21 AM
I spent the better part of two seasons working with the stack deal and in my opinion unless you have a shock dyno, spring crusher and someone giving you good feedback outside of the car you are pissing away time and money with that deal. If your tracks are consistently prepped the same way you may be able to get by, but I still think for the weekend warrior running a 350Rf with a relatively standard shock package will give you more consistent results than the dual rate/ bump stop/ jack hammer stuff does.

hucktyson
12-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Tailclipse I would also say without a shock dyno adjustable shocks are a waste of time and money. You don't know what those knobs are doing unless you are on a dyno.

lazermod3
12-18-2014, 07:29 AM
just my opinion here... I am far from any kind of expert, but I have been to a couple driving and chassis schools... and the one thing I clearly remember the instructors telling us that we all need to quit the "Monkey See - Monkey Do" game. They explain that you can line up ten identical cars, and each one of them will need different setups for each different driver's driving style and different track conditions. They further explain that YOU need to find what YOU need, (or think you need), for your baseline setup that works for YOU, and if you have a problem fix that one problem only, one step at a time. they add if you were to put in a substitute driver it is highly unlikely he/she can drive your car near as well as you, because you have the car set up for YOU....! Too often we see drivers sneak thru the pits to spy on what the hot-shot's car setup is, then run back to their car and throw all his setups on their car... then have the worst night of their career. Why... because what they thought was the 'magic secret' from the best most winning pro out there will never work for them and they shot themselves in their toe, beating themselves instead of concentrating on their own program... "Monkey See - Money Do = fail :/ You never stated what condition you were trying to correct...??? Was there even a problem to start with, or are you looking for that secret magic sweet spot that will make you beat everyone else forever more...??? The largest percentage of drivers do not get beat by their competition, or because their car is trash, it is because they beat themselves. Find a firm baseline foundation setup that works good for YOU, then IF you have a problem try to chase that glitch down one step at a time... one change at a time... keeping good notes of what that change did or did not do to correct your problem, so you can go back to your original baseline foundation without having to start all over on the drawing board again. If you don't really have a problem... just learn to adapt and change your driving style where you and your car come together in a mutual understanding. I have heard so many war stories from the experts where their car got wrecked and crippled during a race, but they kept going and wound up finishing in better place than they normally would have when their car is 'perfect'... all because they adapted to the broken leg and learned to run faster... which surprised the hell out of them when it was all over and the dust cleared. I myself have been guilty of all the above many times, and sometimes still have to stop myself from doing it again. I stop and take a deep breath and remember what I have learned from the Pros in their sit down educational classes... and put their words into MY program, not worrying about what the cat in the pit stall next to me is doing... ;) Again... this is just my feeble opinion... not hating... just sayin...

Call the folk's at Club 29!

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Tailclipse I would also say without a shock dyno adjustable shocks are a waste of time and money. You don't know what those knobs are doing unless you are on a dyno.

Or your builder actually gives you dyno sheets.

Sprint76
12-18-2014, 12:00 PM
If your builder is charging you to revalve and you're not getting dyno sheets, it's time to find a new builder.