PDA

View Full Version : 3 link pull bar mounting?

racing_kid
12-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Whats the difference between a pull bar ahead of the rear end and above center line? Putting a new housing in my b mod. And how far forward should it be if its Better ahead? Small and slick 1/4 mile. Not much banking.
thanks.

Lizardracing
12-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Can't answer that because it depends on the over chassis design.

The mount moves on arc about the axle center line that will either increase or decrease angle with axle rotation. The distance from center line it mounted also determines the the amount of leverage the rear end has on the bar.

racing_kid
12-12-2014, 08:06 AM
The car had a lift arm. So im putting in a new housing with pull bar mounts and have to put the mount in the frame still. Because im starting from scratch I was hoping there was the best way to go from. The pull bar I already have is 26 long with a progressive spring I plan on using.

setup479point2
12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
When pullbars first came into use much ( 1994 ) , the recommended setting was 3" behind centerline . Today most are 2 to 3" in front of centerline , with 15 to 20 degree angle . Have seen anything from 18" to 36" for length , and some are longer . 26" will work . Something you may want to do is search the web for pics of the top running cars , BMS , GRT , Shaw , etc.

racing_kid
12-12-2014, 12:14 PM
A few guys in the a mods here moved the rear end mount forward and chassis mount back and had good luck. Just wasnt sure if being 3 link it would want something different?

Lizardracing
12-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Yes the ideal will be different because on the floated four link stuff, axle wrap isn't acting the same way as the three link on the chassis. The three link springs play a part in tire loading when mounted in front or behind the axle. If on top the change is minimized. For all intents and purposes anyway. On a 3/8 oval track that's normal moisture content, an 800lbs spring, 11" above axle CL and 1" in front of center line with a total of 10'-20' adjustment will get you something to start with. The over length matters but it's a kinda a fine tuning type adjustment I personally would really would about until everything else is working well first. The overall length changes the amount of leverage the pull bar has on the unloading of the front wheels.