PDA

View Full Version : has anyone taken apart a bilstein dhock

missile07
12-14-2014, 11:14 AM
I am wanting to replace a few shafts in some 36mm yellow and 46mm bilsteins. None have a shrader valove so I'm unsure how to depressurize them to take apart and how to pressurize when reinstalling. Any help/ideas would be appreciated

zeroracing
12-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Are you allowed to add a Schrader valve? If so drill a small hole in the top, enough off the hein to get a Schrader valve to fit but not down the tube, in the angle portion of top of cylinder. Drill a small hole 1/8" and it will let off the gas pressure. Then flip over pull your dust cover then compress the rod guide about 1/8" take out your c clip, pull rod guide back out or pry it. Some have a second c clip under the rod guide so when you get it up but before you have the piston out pull that c clip, pull out your piston. Too get the air chamber piston out dump your shock fluid and go over a rash can with tags or something soft in it, put some air in the hoke you drilled and it will pop the air chamber piston out. If it takes a bunch of air you have a dent in your tube. Should take very little pressure. Then tap and install a Schrader valve in your hole you make. Look up Bilstien rebuild for calving and fluid amounts replace any worn parts, look for piston damage... Pretty simple after you do a couple.

If your running a bump stop then put back in the clip under the rod guide, and your dust cover if not then omit both the clip under the rod guide(oil side) and the dust cap. Don't foget your c clip on the end or top of the rod guide (assuming shock is upside down in a vise) it will make a hell of mess.

zeroracing
12-14-2014, 01:12 PM
If you are not allowed a Schrader valve you need a special jig or tool that only a shock builder would have (pretty pricey)

TALON75
12-14-2014, 02:31 PM
http://www.accuforceshockdyno.com/equipment.html

Probably be smarter just to send them to Accu-force.

missile07
12-14-2014, 06:30 PM
I think the area on the tops of the 36mm is too small for a schrader valve. Not looking to rework valving or change pressures, just replace bent shafts. Most shock rebuilder will charge upwards of $25 plus shipping there and back.

missile07
12-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Not to be rude but what does you having $330 dollar shocks have anything to do with this? Again I am not looking to start a business....just asked a simple question about information on depressurizing a standard 36mm and 46mm...

thank you zeroracing for you answer. I may try to tap a few of the 46mm ones and try that. Bilstein's website has a pretty good set of instructions on reworking them with a schrader valve.

missile07
12-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Zeroracing....have you seen the 36mm shocks tapped with the schrader valve? I had a couple guys private message me on tools they have rigged up to work on them but most prefer the valve. Just not a lot of meat up there to work with.

zeroracing
12-16-2014, 09:44 AM
I have not on the 36 mm primarily because I have not ran them since I went to late models. If you can weld good, especially tig, then what about drilling a small hole in the top like 1/8" or 3/16" then weld a tube onto that, which you out your Schrader on? You only need a small hole to fill the chamber, not the full size of the Schrader. Basically like a valve stem.

twisterf5
12-16-2014, 10:09 AM
has any one here really took apart one of those shocks. i have seen some brands that have a pre filled bag in them. not sure of the brand was at a shock shop that was working on a shock like that.

powerslide
12-16-2014, 10:25 AM
I have not taken apart the small body shocks, but the big 46mm shocks do not have a bag in them.

zeroracing
12-16-2014, 10:29 AM
I have taken apart many of the large bilstiens but never a 36mm. Since Bilstien runs basically the same shock throughout their entire line I would assume it's just a smaller version. I have taken apart twin tubes with gas bags.

7uptruckracer
12-16-2014, 10:31 AM
I have a set of Bilstein SN shocks. I don't have their "tools" I use a piece of square tubing about 2" long. I take off the shock eye and lock nut. I slide the square tube onto the shaft and use the press to push the rod guide down so i can pop the clip out. That allows the rod guide to come out so you can get the inner snap ring off. Make sure if its a schrader valve you have depressurized it or you're going to get wet. If you don't have one stand back lol. Measure your shock oil so you know how much fresh to put back. Bilsteins are pretty simple shocks, a good starter shock and you can convert the 46mm to Ohlins with the 8mm/12mm bushing allowing you to run ohlins pistons

missile07
12-16-2014, 10:32 AM
It's worth a shot...I have a ton of them with either bent shafts or dented bodies, so I can play with it a bit.

Twister...the understanding I have of these regular bilsteins is that they have a disc/cup above the actual piston & the area between the top cap of the shock and this cup/disc is where the nitrogen cavity is. I am just going to have to play with them.

7uptruckracer
12-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Thats where it will hold the gas you can take the bulb cap off and get to the separator piston and change its oring as well

missile07
12-16-2014, 10:35 AM
thanks 7up....I have rigged a tool up similar to yours to use in a press but haven't had time to do it yet.

35smod
12-16-2014, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't recommend tapping the body for a schrader I have taken many sz series shocks apart its not difficult the guys above have pretty much spelled it out for you but the body is too thin to tap I tig weld on a small bung on top of the body where you drilled the hole and screw your schrader valve into that it will work much better and you wont have to worry about leaks hope this helps

missile07
12-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks 35 that's the plan....I'll post photo's when finished. How large of a hole have u been drilling?

Brian Gray
12-17-2014, 08:15 AM
That yellow shock is gonna blow oil and parts everywhere if you don't have the tool to work on it. They are under pressure and you cannot bleed it off . Call accuforce or look at their videos on the non Schrader valve shocks. They aren't like the sn shock at all.

The ones with the bag aren't under pressure those are twin tube shock . The bilsteins are gas pressure mono tube . If it doesn't have a valve to release the pressure and you try to take it apart your gonna have a mess.

Also yes you can add a valve to the small body shock if you get it apart. I weld them on , I wouldn't recommend tapping it tig it on there then drill the hole after.

powerslide
12-17-2014, 10:07 PM
It's still a monotube drill a hole in the top and it lets the gas out just like the 46mm

missile07
12-18-2014, 07:01 AM
SCD...I'd be interested in buying just the valves if you can't use them.

Bcollins82
12-18-2014, 08:53 AM
You can buy the valves at about any hardware store. They are just a couple bucks. They are pipe thread on one side, valve stem on the other.