PDA

View Full Version : Hp gain going to Bert and loss through QC

twizted
12-14-2014, 06:33 PM
We were wondering how much HP gain you might see in a 350Hp engine going from Muncie 3 speed and stock clutch to a direct drive type trans like a Bert? Also how much HP it takes to turn a Quickchange over a ford 9"? I have heard some one say a bert was like having 40 more HP but forgot where i heard that. Thanks for your time.

phenom08
12-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Every 15 pounds of rotating weight reduced uses up
30 less horsepower.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Every 15 pounds of rotating weight reduced uses up
30 less horsepower.

The distance from the center of rotation must also be factored in.

Matt49
12-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Is it time for another moment of inertia thread?

I'm sure somebody has run these on a chassis dyno back to back but getting that info for free might be asking a lot.
I'd be particularly interested in seeing the difference between a first gen Bert and and a second gen Bert.

7uptruckracer
12-15-2014, 06:44 AM
I didn't know their was a difference besides the output shaft? Good to know. That's in reference to the Bert Transmission

Matt49
12-15-2014, 07:52 AM
I didn't know their was a difference besides the output shaft? Good to know. That's in reference to the Bert Transmission

I think you're talking regular spline versus ball spline. But I'm referring to first gen versus second gen.
Both first gen and second gen come with both output shaft options.
The second gen has completely different internals, is 17 pounds lighter, and doesn't spin the counter shaft when in direct drive like the first gen does.

Brian Gray
12-15-2014, 08:41 AM
First gen to second gen is about 4 hp. It's within the tolerance of the chassis dyno. We do see a significant variance it the amount of time it takes to accelerate and decelerate though.

A qc vs a9" though there is on average 15 to 30 hp used up on the qc. And acceleration is better on the 9" but decel is advanced on th qc .

Now I'm taking this from a shop that did the tests so this is only what I've been told.
I do know the 7.25 clutch through a Muncie uses up a lot more power than the original Bert/brinn

7uptruckracer
12-15-2014, 10:57 AM
I've had first and second gen while the length of the output shaft was the same I don't think they were splined the same length because the long slip yoke would bottom out on the splines

Brian Gray
12-15-2014, 12:03 PM
The second gen Bert has 2 options for tail shaft length on a slip yoke version as well as a ball spline option.

Brian Gray
12-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Yes but honestly I don't think it will show a difference in lap times.

You will see however and huge increase in life of components and reliability. Truth though is the original Bert is still pretty darn bullit proof.

Matt49
12-17-2014, 05:06 PM
They are claiming less rotating weight so that would have to result in some gain (less loss) at the rear wheels. Whether it is significant or not is a good question. But the way I'm looking at it is a hundredth here and a hundredth there eventually get you a tenth.