PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump rod?

Race fan1
12-26-2014, 08:49 AM
I recently purchased an aluminum motor that had utilized a fuel pump ran off of the trans and has a cover plate and rod removed that drives the fuel pump. Are all of these rods the same or are there different sizes being used?

hpmaster
12-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Different lengths. Check with original builder on correct one.

hucktyson
12-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Cv products has a length checking template. You are much better off running a pump driven off the power steering pump and the block mounted pumps have barely enough volume to sustain full throttle conditions without running out of fuel

TALON75
12-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Ran all season with a block mount, never had one issue with fuel delivery even at Knoxville. You need to be sure the cam has a lobe for the block mount though, i have seen a few that didn't.

hucktyson
12-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Talon it's your money so run the block mount if you think it's adequate. On issues like that I defer to people I believe know more than I do, 2 carb guys and my engine builder all say the block mount is barely adequate so a dsr on the power steering pump it is for me.

TALON75
12-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Ya, they have been telling me for a couple years now to do it, but like i said, no issues. I almost did it before Knoxville, that was the one place on our schedule that i was worried about, but didnt have any problems there, Eldora would be another place but we didn't race there at all. I think for the weekly guy running 3/8ths or smaller they shouldn't worry about it.

swartzman
12-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Nothing's wrong with a block mounted pumps as long as you have the correct stuff..

Race fan1
12-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks for help guys.

Brian Gray
12-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Block mout pump will be fine. The only time I see people wit fuel delivery issues is when they are using something else.

Think about it. They worked in nascar even back in the day of monster big blocks at taladega. Why wouldn't they work now?

hucktyson
12-27-2014, 01:01 PM
No you think about it .... If your running a block mounted pump with a deadhead style regulator you do not have any excess fuel capacity as all fuel is being delivered to the carb. The belt drive uses a bypass regulator to send ADDITIONAL capacity back to the cell. Sustained WFO conditions are where the capacity is marginal and Gray you have never in your life held a car matted for multiple laps. With today's track prep those conditions don't occur very often and your car has to be free enough to take advantage of them when they are. When given the choice of hoping I have enough fuel or know (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) well I have plenty I will take option 2. There's an additional benefit to running the belt drive .... But I'm not going to waste time explaining it to people who know everything and never lose a race like the guys in here

Brian Gray
12-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Ok , today's motors must use more fuel than the late models of the late 70s running 454s with 2 big 4bbls on them right? That block mounted fuel pump on those big wide bore 480s that people have been running at eldora are just for show too.

Keep name calling and repeating how none of us know what you know. There are numerous ways to get enough fuel to these engines and they all work fine some are just cheaper and more reliable than others. Don't forget the weight benefit either. Or the engine load benefit. Or the cost of maintaining benefit.

I'll quit now sorry for hijacking. But this guy is an ego maniac from hell. Idk how that little frame holds that big a$$ head up.

big88fan
12-27-2014, 07:22 PM
As long as you are using a cv products billet pump or equivalent you won't have any trouble, I have them on motors from 400 through 450 wide bore and have had 0 issues on any of them.

SaddleUpLock&Load
12-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Do you run a return line then off of the block mount pump? Whats the best and most efficient way to plumb up the block style pumps?

Brian Gray
12-28-2014, 02:30 PM
You can do it either way on gas. Use a 7 psi spring with no return or use the higher psi springs and run a bypass regulator and send overflow to tank. Makes no difference under race conditions.

Without the return you will see a variance in fuel pressure when you fist pull onto the track and throttle up usually a drop in pressure for just a short period. The retun with bypas stops this issue and also keeps the fuel cooler.

hucktyson
12-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Gray honestly you deserve punched in the face for telling people run run a bypass regulator and return with a block mount
Pump. A cv block mount pump is run to a deadhead style before the fuel log and you DONT use a return line with that kind of pump. What he just posted is not only wrong but it's dangerous

Brian Gray
12-28-2014, 08:07 PM
That's what I have been using without issue. That's the way braswell suggested i run it and last I checked I wasn't the one with fuel delivery issues at the world. So suck it!

jrkracing54
12-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Not to get into the middle of ya'lls slap fight but my friend plumbs his Pro Power engines the way BG suggested with no problems. He originally had them ran into a dead head but like BG said the pressure bounced all over the place. He went to the bypass and the needle never moves. Just saying. John 1*

Brian Gray
12-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Jk This guy would argue with God .

keeks
12-28-2014, 09:07 PM
I use the Race Pumps block mount with their regulator, and a return line. Setup for methanol. I fine tune my fuel pressure not only with the regulator, but also with a jet in the return line. Works like a hot (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), with double the fuel requirement of a gas motor.

Brian Gray
12-28-2014, 09:39 PM
We do the same thing with our regulator. I drill an tap the head valve to fit an air bleed jet in place . It insures all the air gets purged quickly . You can buy a regulator from brawell set up the same way.

It's a simple but very good trick to make sure your keeping as much air out of the system as possible.

TALON75
12-29-2014, 03:24 AM
Gray honestly you deserve punched in the face for telling people run run a bypass regulator and return with a block mount
Pump. A cv block mount pump is run to a deadhead style before the fuel log and you DONT use a return line with that kind of pump. What he just posted is not only wrong but it's dangerous

Ran ours with a bypass all year, no problems! Glad I made it through the danger unscathed!

zeroracing
12-29-2014, 01:55 PM
What regulator are you guys running with a cv pump?

hucktyson
12-29-2014, 02:34 PM
The correct regulator is the CV Products/ Spin dead head style regulator. A dead head style holds the fuel back until the correct pressure is reached. A bypass regulator has a bleed jet inside of it that is always bypassing fuel and then the diaphragm opens at idle. I don't really understand why on earth " talon " would pay top dollar to have his engines done by the best in the business and then completely ignore his instructions on the fuel system. If you treat Darrel's advice like your apparately treat jacks advice no wonder why his and Owens club 29's are winning the Crown Jewels your taking provisionals for. I understand your running the block mount because jay (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ens said it was fine but there's no way jay (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ens told you to run a bypass regulator and return line with a block mount cv pump.

Brian Gray
12-29-2014, 03:08 PM
I use the volley version and build the bypass myself. You can buy a bypass already altered with the jet from braswell. .honestly if your not going to run a return just get the 7 psi pump and don't use a regulator at all. If your going to run the fuel return any reg will work fine. But I just prefer the jetted bypass to help keep air out of the fuel.

TALON75
12-29-2014, 06:36 PM
The correct regulator is the CV Products/ Spin dead head style regulator. A dead head style holds the fuel back until the correct pressure is reached. A bypass regulator has a bleed jet inside of it that is always bypassing fuel and then the diaphragm opens at idle. I don't really understand why on earth " talon " would pay top dollar to have his engines done by the best in the business and then completely ignore his instructions on the fuel system. If you treat Darrel's advice like your apparately treat jacks advice no wonder why his and Owens club 29's are winning the Crown Jewels your taking provisionals for. I understand your running the block mount because jay (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ens said it was fine but there's no way jay (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ens told you to run a bypass regulator and return line with a block mount cv pump.

I would strongly caution anyone from taking any advice from hucktyson, an apparent expert of the DLM world that races 3 times a year( mostly just at the rear of bmains though) . I'll clear it up for your dumba$$, Jay told me two years ago to run the rearmount pump and bypass, we had no issues so why spend the money? Jack just perfers you to have the rearmount pump but was fine with putting a block mount on . Both said to run the bypass style regulator, no matter the pump, and this is the first year I have ran a regulator at all on out cars . We had two motors brake valve springs this year, and one overheat that holed a piston, and one connecting rod come apart, thats it in 55+ races . Nothing fuel related caused any of these issues. I know what works and how to make (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) work,I dont need instructions, you keep paying people to tell you how it is supposed to work and shut your hole . What happens if the deadhead fails and no fuel to the engine? With the bypass on the rear of the fuel log at least the motor will still be getting fuel instead of leaning out .

Keep making the provisional comment too, its like someone calling me fat never heard that one before and it really hurts my feelings!!lol I remember at knoxville we had to take an emergency provisional(the worst kind!!!), but in the row in front of us (taking points provisionals) were Don Oneil and Jimmy Owens( I know he had a big wreck but....) , our little Cali team didnt feel so bad about it after that . We also used fewer than the ROY, but both of us had the most for the series and I am sure that is because we were running a bypass regulator .

zero- we use the spin fr-2000 regulator

kilroy be here
12-29-2014, 06:47 PM
how the fawk would running a bypass and return line be dangerous??? I gotta hear this one!!!!

hucktyson
12-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Let me get this straight talon , you had not 1 but 2 renown engine builders tell you to run a rear mount pump and you choose to ignore them. You say you " overheated and holed a piston " and what is a major cause of that ?? running lean. When I got my first aluminum engine years ago it came with a cv pump and I was previously running a spec engine on alcohol with a belt drive so I had a bypass style regulator with a return line. first night it happened to be hammer down on a huge half mile literally I didn't lift period for 10 laps look down and the temp gauge says 255. I put some holes in the nose for the feature and ended up having to pull off when I had an excellent shot of winning because I was at 260 Called the engine builder and he specifically asked how I was plumbed and he explained the cv pump does not have enough volume to be bypassing fuel back to the cell and that it would run lean and hot. I installed a dead head style regulator and problem solved, no heating issues ever after that. call cv products who makes pump and explain to them how you insist on bypassing fuel back to the cell with that pump and see what they think. I have heard 3 separate expert opinions on fuel pumps and all 3 said the cv block mount is barely adequate to support these engines under sustained WOT conditions. You said you overheated and burned a piston.... did you have a hole in the radiator or were you running lean ? CV makes a dead head style regulator to run with those pumps !!! I know because I have one sitting here , and they also make bypass style regulators to run with belt drive pumps .. once again I know because I have one sitting here. Anyone who hires jay (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ens and jack cornett to build their engines AND DOESNT listen to everything they say word for word is a flaming gaping a$$ hole who is too stupid to argue with.

Brian Gray
12-29-2014, 08:54 PM
I wanna see this 100 gpm fuel guzzling engine this motor builder conjured up.

TALON75
12-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Dipsh!t, have you ever raced at Paducah? Everyone runs hot there, Owens hurt a motor the same night from getting hot, not lean fuel condition, it was not nearly a hammer down track WOT for even one lap! Again you pay people to "tell" you whats "right", I have the knowledge to know whats right and what's not . By the way Jack and Jay are two very knowledgeable and great guys, but they are not gods, yes they know more than you but hell so does Gray!

TALON75
12-30-2014, 12:34 AM
Sorry Brian, I don't mean that in a bad way!lol

Brian Gray
12-30-2014, 08:24 AM
No offense taken .

jedclampit
12-30-2014, 06:54 PM
I need my head examined for replying to this, and just about anything on here anymore!

There are 2 different types of bypass regulators, one with a jet to lower idle pressure for alky motors, and one without.

Look into it!

dirty white boy
12-31-2014, 04:07 AM
dang,..this thread needs a regulator....just say'in!!

50j
12-31-2014, 11:18 AM
A fuel pressure gauge should tell you if it's working or not.

hucktyson
12-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Honestly I can careless if everyone melts every piston out of their motor. Everything I have said on this thread is sound advice that errors on the side of caution.

sj valley dave
01-09-2015, 02:24 PM
We use a CV block pump with their dead head regulator and the fuel pressure gauge shows a very consistent pressure reading. Never had any reason to change over, but of course this is on race gas...

Necrosis
01-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Jesse James runs a CV block mount pump on his 487" R0X in a Baja truck with a big, fuel wasting Braswell 4-circuit. Anecdotal, sure. I still prefer the DSR on the back, though.