PDA

View Full Version : RR bird cage question

Ralphy
01-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Have to replace a damaged RR old style bird cage and was considering replacing it with the new style that has the separate shock and 4 bar brackets on bottom. Are the newer designed ones better and if so could you share why?

TheJet-09
01-06-2015, 01:31 PM
By "old style" do you mean a birdcage that has the shock mount welded to it? "New style" birdcages have bearings inside at each end, which are far smoother and require less maintenance than the old "sleeve" type. The shock mounts also bolt to the birdcage, which allows for the use of a swivel type mount which can typically be positioned at different heights. You do want to get the correct birdcage for your chassis though, so the link mounts and shock mount are in the correct place, for alignment and angle purposes.

Ralphy
01-07-2015, 04:52 AM
I have bearing bird cages, I meant the new style that the shock and lower 4 link mount to separate brackets instead of the same one. Just wondering if those were better and if so why? Seems like all newer cars have them now.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-07-2015, 06:08 AM
I have bearing bird cages, I meant the new style that the shock and lower 4 link mount to separate brackets instead of the same one. Just wondering if those were better and if so why? Seems like all newer cars have them now.
Sounds like you have the old A1 type cages. It is impossible to have shock angles and 4 link angles correct on newer cars with such a narrow cage. The wider cage also provides a more stable bade to resist side loading from the coilover and the bearings last longer as a result.

Ralphy
01-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys

Ralphy
01-07-2015, 08:28 AM
MBracer I sent you a PM but your inbox is full.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-07-2015, 10:30 AM
MBracer I sent you a PM but your inbox is full.

Cleared out