PDA

View Full Version : 12" Spoiler on a UMP style mod?

W2Racing09
01-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Just an opinion post here, we are looking at ways to make crates competitive in this division. Around here the Mods can run unlimited cubes (Engine rules just state Steel Block). This obviously makes it a lot more difficult for the Crates to keep up. There are very few Crates running as a result, especially at the bigger tracks. My question is, has anyone seen a 12" spoiler on a Mod? They do this in Late Models sometimes (usually 602s in a Crate Class, or I've seen them on CT525 running with SLM also). Would it work? Would it help the Crates enough in conjunction with a weight break of 75 for 604, 125 for 602 to make them competitive?

Thanks,
Jeff.

JustAddDirt
01-16-2015, 08:47 AM
too much spoiler for a crate.
If you were to take off some of the 12" spoiler on one of the crate lates back to a standard 8", they would be faster

W2Racing09
01-16-2015, 09:31 AM
too much spoiler for a crate.
If you were to take off some of the 12" spoiler on one of the crate lates back to a standard 8", they would be faster

Unfortunately this does not seem to be enough, the current rules are 8" Spoiler for all, and a 100lb weight break for the 604 and 602. If a crate car even bothers to show up they are struggling to finish on the lead lap. While we know not much can be done on a 5/8 mile would it help on 1/2 or 3/8 or 1/4? I think getting Crates to be competitive would really increase car counts for this division in our area.

The area in question is the Mid Atlantic area. PA/MD/VA. Our tracks struggle to bring in 12-15 cars in this class with no competition in the area. People seem to skip this division and run Crates or Limited Late Models. We are trying to grow the division to new tracks, but for that we need new cars as well.

Thank you,
Jeff.

Anonymous24
01-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Spoilers create drag. Down force is what we want. Look into funneling the air that goes underneath the car so it flows faster than free stream.

QQQQ
01-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Let the Crate run side boards like an "I Mod" that might get interesting.

bmodracer
01-16-2015, 01:44 PM
Don't water the track as much and let it dry out for the features. Your crates are getting killed because the big motors are hooking up. Give the crates a 5-8" spoiler and a weight break if need be. Your crates will be just as competitive as the open motors and the racing will be 100 time more exciting. Here in the Midwest, there is about a 50/50 split between crates and open motors. Either one can win on any given night.

twisterf5
01-16-2015, 04:20 PM
i run a 602 and a 358 built 3 to 4 seconds faster with my open motor tried the spoiler on crate car and it just slowed it down. most chassis can not get down enough in weight. track has to be slick slick before a crate works against an open engine.

LITE-INN
01-16-2015, 06:29 PM
if its a 1/4 mile it should do ok

LM14
01-17-2015, 11:29 PM
They need to control the air on the nose better. I would think with a 12" spoiler that the aero balance of the car would be a mess since mods have such lousy nose downforce.

Let crate mods have 2" wickerbills down the sides of the cars to keep air on the deck, keep the 8" rear spoiler but let them run a 4" tall fin up the nose.

Also look at running a harder tire for open motor cars.

SPark