PDA

View Full Version : the things you find....

zyoung25
01-25-2015, 01:47 PM
I've been digging around through some old things I've had over the years. I've found a few things that relate to racing. As a kid I was big about getting autographs from drivers I found this what looks like the back page of a 90s dirt late model mag I thought I'd share it.

LITE-INN
01-25-2015, 01:55 PM
give john mason a green pen lol

SFrancisFan15
01-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Racing John Mason is the one that stuck out to me! Awesome share zyoung,

zyoung25
01-25-2015, 03:48 PM
I always had a goal as a kid to fill up a flag with autographs at one race. This is closest I've found to doing that.

zyoung25
01-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Here's probably a rare find. I'm not sure...do they even make this magazine anymore?

zyoung25
01-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Here's one of prized possessions. I was huge Donnie Moran fan back in the day. I'll never forget the day I got this shirt. I looked up to him like most people looked up to Earnhardt. Shirt says 94 at the bottom which would've put me around 9, it's never been worn. Been folded up in a bag for 20 years now. My ol buddy Dave Latham hooked me up to meet Donnie and he had this shirt waiting on me when I walked up.

TheJet-09
01-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Is that Jack Boggs and Randle Chupp on your autograph page? Cool stuff! I also saw Skip Arp on your flag. A definite blast from the past. Thanks for the share!

zyoung25
01-25-2015, 08:25 PM
It is Jack Boggs and Chupp. That's the 2 that stuck out to me as well. Arp and Ol Earl Baltes are on the flag. Earl was always my buddy as a kid. I'd always run up to him after a race and ask him if he ever sold enough hot dogs. I can't remember what he said exactly. We all know the famous line he had for that. Im sure it was some where along those lines.

25 Jay 53
01-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Very cool, if I get a chance tomorrow I will post some old school dirt autographs and magazines that I have.

smith19
01-26-2015, 05:11 AM
hey mr. young i was doing some digging myself and found numerous articles where we won many races at atomic and 3 wins at eldora in 1970. i put some of my pic's on my facebook. oldies but goodies. sprintcar stuff...

chupp n bloomer fan
01-26-2015, 12:08 PM
It is Jack Boggs and Chupp. That's the 2 that stuck out to me as well. Arp and Ol Earl Baltes are on the flag. Earl was always my buddy as a kid. I'd always run up to him after a race and ask him if he ever sold enough hot dogs. I can't remember what he said exactly. We all know the famous line he had for that. Im sure it was some where along those lines.Yep, them are the two that stuck out to me also.

chupp n bloomer fan
01-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Here's one of prized possessions. I was huge Donnie Moran fan back in the day. I'll never forget the day I got this shirt. I looked up to him like most people looked up to Earnhardt. Shirt says 94 at the bottom which would've put me around 9, it's never been worn. Been folded up in a bag for 20 years now. My ol buddy Dave Latham hooked me up to meet Donnie and he had this shirt waiting on me when I walked up.I had that exact shirt, probably gone now. But I did save a lot. But if at my moms, probably gone. I remember that one because of the hauler on the back and the Frazeysburg Flash Deal. I made a big checkered flag deal in Home Ec in high school of Donnie. He was also my favorite driver growing up.

25 Jay 53
01-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Here are a couple of things I ran across that I had put up

25 Jay 53
01-26-2015, 01:52 PM
And a couple more, the license plate was a gift to my dad I give him when I went to the World 100 in 2001, he collected license plates so I thought he would enjoy that and he did, he has since passed and it makes it even more special to me now.

CIRF
01-26-2015, 04:42 PM
These are 2 of my most prized racing related possessions. I bought the white T-shirt when Jack was running a Ford engine in this dirt late model and was on the front row (that is until ol' snort bloomquist turned him into the wall before the first turn of the first lap and broke Jack's wrist!!!) of the very first Eldora Dirt Late Model Dream.

The black T-shirt was the car Jack drove on Eldora Million weekend. Jack was leading his heat race by about 1/2 a straight away and the engine let go with about 5 to go. There were a bunch of disappointed Hewitt fans (myself included in a big way!!) in the Eldora grandstands that evening!!

I had them both tucked away deep in a closet and had forgotten about them. The wife found 'em and showed 'em to me. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

pink floyd
01-26-2015, 05:22 PM
this thread has brought back a lot of memories, thanks guys.

LITE-INN
01-26-2015, 05:25 PM
These are 2 of my most prized racing related possessions. I bought the white T-shirt when Jack was running a Ford engine in this dirt late model and was on the front row (that is until ol' snort bloomquist turned him into the wall before the first turn of the first lap and broke Jack's wrist!!!) of the very first Eldora Dirt Late Model Dream.

The black T-shirt was the car Jack drove on Eldora Million weekend. Jack was leading his heat race by about 1/2 a straight away and the engine let go with about 5 to go. There were a bunch of disappointed Hewitt fans (myself included in a big way!!) in the Eldora grandstands that evening!!

I had them both tucked away deep in a closet and had forgotten about them. The wife found 'em and showed 'em to me. Almost brought a tear to my eye.what no chilli bowl or kyle Larson goods amazing maybe there is hope for you yet

LITE-INN
01-26-2015, 05:26 PM
give john mason a green pen lol

guess you guys never had the pleasure of getting one

zyoung25
01-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Here are a couple of things I ran across that I had put up

That's pretty cool. A few names I haven't seen for a while on there. Gusty Christenberry and Rex Richey. I know we lost Rex a couple ye assets ago. Wonder what ol Gusty is up too now days? I know he was a big farmer back when he raced.

I remember both of those cars CIRF and I remember when Jack broke his wrist. The black car had the polished frame....very sharp piece.

Highside Hustler25
01-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Some nice shares guys. Some nice memorabilia for sure.

25 Jay 53
01-26-2015, 09:17 PM
That's pretty cool. A few names I haven't seen for a while on there. Gusty Christenberry and Rex Richey. I know we lost Rex a couple ye assets ago. Wonder what ol Gusty is up too now days? I know he was a big farmer back when he raced.

I remember both of those cars CIRF and I remember when Jack broke his wrist. The black car had the polished frame....very sharp piece.

Thanks. I didn't know that Rex had passed away. Hate to hear that, he won the very first Hav-A-Tampa race that I ever seen back in 1990 I think. It was at Hohenwald, TN. And, actually that is Clayton Christenberry not Gusty. I believe I got the flag autographed at Atomic in 1998.

zyoung25
01-26-2015, 09:48 PM
Ah I get them mixed up I just seen the last name. I could have Rex mixed up with another guy too, maybe a Douglas? I can't get nothing right today lol. Still yet cool find though man. I got a few more things I found and never posted pics of yet.

I remember now who I'm talking about, Rex is still with us don't believe he races anymore though. I always get Rex and Scott Sexton mixed up, i believe Sexron is one who passed a couple years ago, sure where I came up with a Douglas.

MILLER7FAN
01-26-2015, 11:17 PM
This is a good thread that I for one, will continue to check. Thanks to all for the shares

25 Jay 53
01-26-2015, 11:34 PM
Ah I get them mixed up I just seen the last name. I could have Rex mixed up with another guy too, maybe a Douglas? I can't get nothing right today lol. Still yet cool find though man. I got a few more things I found and never posted pics of yet.

I certainly have days like that myself. I know Scott Sexton passed away. I will try to see what else I can find to post.

zyoung25
01-26-2015, 11:41 PM
I just fixed my post about the same time u posted. I remember that now.

GotDirt1313
01-27-2015, 07:11 AM
That's pretty cool. A few names I haven't seen for a while on there. Gusty Christenberry and Rex Richey. I know we lost Rex a couple ye assets ago. Wonder what ol Gusty is up too now days? I know he was a big farmer back when he raced.I remember both of those cars CIRF and I remember when Jack broke his wrist. The black car had the polished frame....very sharp piece.why would you say Rex Richey passed away a few years ago, he started on the front row at Boyd's back in April of last year in a limited late model less than a year ago, if he's passed away since then, then that's news to me, did he pass away in the last few months???

LITE-INN
01-27-2015, 07:31 AM
http://gaobits.tributes.com/browse_obituaries?city=Ringgold&state=GA no proof here

25 Jay 53
01-27-2015, 09:02 AM
why would you say Rex Richey passed away a few years ago, he started on the front row at Boyd's back in April of last year in a limited late model less than a year ago, if he's passed away since then, then that's news to me, did he pass away in the last few months???

I think he was just mistaken. That happens.

Nasty55
01-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the memories guy's a lot of nice old stuff shared on this thread!!

GotDirt1313
01-27-2015, 12:03 PM
I think he was just mistaken. That happens.Yeah, no biggee, just thought I might have missed somethin... used to love watching him race!!

Head Wrench25
01-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I always collected drivers wives.

25 Jay 53
01-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Yeah, no biggee, just thought I might have missed somethin... used to love watching him race!!

Yep. Me too!

chupp n bloomer fan
01-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Yep. Me too!Good stuff Jay. All your posts on this thread, really good. Especially about the license plate.

chupp n bloomer fan
01-27-2015, 06:14 PM

I had them both tucked away deep in a closet and had forgotten about them. The wife found 'em and showed 'em to me. Almost brought a tear to my eye.Cool shirts. Only remember Jack at Eldora and he came to Expo in NE Ohio on a weekday to race a late model in the mid 90's. He was in the 21 JW Hunt car very similar to the one on your shirt. Hope to see him again, obviously he doesn't race, but I don't think I have his autograph.

25 Jay 53
01-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Good stuff Jay. All your posts on this thread, really good. Especially about the license plate.

Thank you!

zyoung25
01-28-2015, 01:06 AM
I feel like these things are a part of the past. Not many drivers hand these out anymore. I believe Feger and Owens do....I know Feger always has a stand beside his car where anyone can grab one and he'll sign it. Moyer and Francis ones were found in my closet. The Moran one was found in the bottom of my Micheal Jordan basketball card collection inside a boss mustang model car box, like I said before Moran was my hero as a kid haha. I found a few more I'll post them later on.

I really liked that Moyer car.

25 Jay 53
01-28-2015, 03:17 PM
A never worn World 100 shirt from 1994, a never worn Eldora Million shirt, and an autographed card from Josh Richards.

25 Jay 53
01-28-2015, 03:19 PM
And finally an autographed card from Justin Allgaier

chupp n bloomer fan
01-28-2015, 11:43 PM
I feel like these things are a part of the past. Not many drivers hand these out anymore. I believe Feger and Owens do....I know Feger always has a stand beside his car where anyone can grab one and he'll sign it. Moyer and Francis ones were found in my closet. The Moran one was found in the bottom of my Micheal Jordan basketball card collection inside a boss mustang model car box, like I said before Moran was my hero as a kid haha. I found a few more I'll post them later on.

I really liked that Moyer car.Always liked the GVS car. Wether it was Freddy, Moyer, or Babb?, nice cars. Can't picture Freddy or Billy using bass tubes;).

SuperEight
01-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Here's probably a rare find. I'm not sure...do they even make this magazine anymore?

That was a great magazine, I loved it. No, they went belly up in the late 90's. I think I have just about every issue they put out, even the jumbo over sized ones. Thanks for sharing that.

CIRF
01-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Here are 3 more antique T-shirts.

The Dirt Track World Championship T-shirt is from 1991 when the DTWC was still at Pennsboro, WV.

The Eldora Million needs no explanation. I have our ticket stubs from the Eldora Million stored in a fireproof safe. I also had a Sprint Car Eldora Million T-shirt but it was sadly enough inadvertently destroyed.

The Ascot Park T-shirt is not dirt late model related per se but probably the most prized of the 3. Ascot Park was the most iconic dirt racetrack West of the Mississippi River, with due deference to Manzanita Speedway, both of which, sadly, are long gone.

I fear when I'm long gone all of the racing stuff I've accumulated over the years will be merely a nice bonfire for whoever has to sort through it all. LOL!!

dirtrace09
01-29-2015, 12:00 PM
This is a really good thread. I still have my Kodiak hat that Ken Schrader signed at Spoon River Speedway in the late 80's. I was just a kid and was so excited to have him sign the hat my dad had bought me. Fast forward to the early 2000's and I was lucky enough to race against him several times.

zyoung25
02-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Here's my Eldora million seat tickets, I believe my dad has the ticket stubs. An old Moran hero card from I think 93 or 94. The Freddy Smith card I got when I bought a shirt. It's a 25th anniversary of dtwc.

Funny story about the million, it made us feel dumb then but we can laugh about it now. We went to Eldora on the original date of the race....showed up and there was no one there. My dad is hard headed and wouldn't listen that it had been canceled cuz we figured ol earl would get it in...even though it was cold. Drove 4 hours to sit in the cold and shoot the chit with a few guys who drove down from Minneapolis. We burnt up all of theirs and our wood and then headed back home. We was the only rv in the parking lot that day. Made some new friends though haha.

Does anyone remember if they changed the dates on the tickets after they rescheduled it for June?

zyoung25
02-14-2015, 02:52 PM
CIRF will probably like this one. I always thought this Hewitt car package was pretty cool to look at, anyone know where they took that pic at? On the Mark Kinser car I also had Karl sign. The Dale Blaney card was another one I found in the box of cards.

Not sure why some of my pics are coming out side ways but you guys will figure it out lol...sorry for that.

zyoung25
02-14-2015, 03:04 PM
but d o you have th e 2nd 13 th ANNUAL JACKSON100

Considering I wasn't even alive of during the 2nd jackson race I highly doubt I'd have it. I've been Brownstown several times but never to the Jackson. I only keep things like this that I've been to or seen.

bigq11
02-14-2015, 03:07 PM
ZY

We were there for 3 days, through rain and then snow, before we left after he canceled. You must have arrived after we left as there was still several campers there when we pulled out. My brother and the group is his motorhome actually stopped to play golf at Cambridge City on the way home. When the race was ran the next June, we sat in our usual seats in lawn chairs above the top row of bleachers in Sec. I on the aisle. Still have those seats for some of the big races.

zyoung25
02-14-2015, 03:14 PM
ZY

We were there for 3 days, through rain and then snow, before we left after he canceled. You must have arrived after we left as there was still several campers there when we pulled out. My brother and the group is his motorhome actually stopped to play golf at Cambridge City on the way home. When the race was ran the next June, we sat in our usual seats in lawn chairs above the top row of bleachers in Sec. I on the aisle. Still have those seats for some of the big races.

My dad was working at Strickers near Cincinnati at the time. We never got to leave until around 5 on Friday night or so if I remember right. We got there a good bit after dark I do remember that. And it was very deflating to say the least lol. Expecting to see huge crowd, campers, and race cars, ended up being a empty gravel parking lot.