PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think of This Format?

In The Gas
01-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Tri City is going to hot lap and time trials at the same time. Top qualifier draws a 1-6 for invert. I think this is brilliant. Less wear on the track and moves the program through a lot quicker. Seems like you could do this with all classes if the track uses transponders. Hope it works out for them. Brownstown, you might want to give this format a shot!

TheJet-09
01-28-2015, 05:17 PM
The Kokomo Klash (Indiana) did that. It was a first for me, but I think as long as there are not too many cars on the track at once and enough laps given, why not? I'd rather have that than waiting in line for a one lap qualifying run.

fastford
01-28-2015, 05:19 PM
I like the idea, even though it looks like a page out of the nascar book. although the cost could be a problem. how much does a transponder cost?

WVRACEFAN
01-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Tyler co been doing this the past 2 years , it works out fine.

In The Gas
01-28-2015, 06:48 PM
I like the idea, even though it looks like a page out of the nascar book. although the cost could be a problem. how much does a transponder cost?

I think most tracks require them so there would not be any additional charge.

cjp0354
01-28-2015, 06:48 PM
While I don't think it's a bad idea for fans, racers might not like it. Hot laps are not hot laps if it determines where you start in the heat. Can't really shake a car down and get a feeling for he track when you are worried about time. All things said, I'm positive it will work out fine. That seems like a well run track.

25 Jay 53
01-28-2015, 08:24 PM
I like it, maybe others will do the same

LITE-INN
01-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Tri City is going to hot lap and time trials at the same time. Top qualifier draws a 1-6 for invert. I think this is brilliant. Less wear on the track and moves the program through a lot quicker. Seems like you could do this with all classes if the track uses transponders. Hope it works out for them. Brownstown, you might want to give this format a shot!

no it doesn't just changes the format they haven't time trailed on a regular night in YEARS I think I might know been going there since 1962 how about you

LITE-INN
01-28-2015, 09:01 PM

in the st Louis area transponders cost no thing to the teams unless they are damaged by use of a hammer or such

fryefan
01-28-2015, 09:25 PM

I hate boring time trials. Thus, if you are going to do them, then during hot laps is the way to go.

LITE-INN
01-28-2015, 09:31 PM
I agree plus with more than likely a little higher car count since belleclaire is running sunday night we guess it might help out the the program that way also I just hope the racing is good or better

fastford
01-28-2015, 10:24 PM
no where I race requires them, and if they did , I doubt they would pay for them, so how much ?

LITE-INN
01-28-2015, 11:10 PM
The track has to invest in the time and money also laying down sensers and such

chupp n bloomer fan
01-29-2015, 09:13 AM
no where I race requires them, and if they did , I doubt they would pay for them, so how much ?Fast, it's a one time fee of just over a $100 I think if you buy it. A lot of tracks will rent them for a night if you don't own one. Them and the Raceceivers are great improvements in racing. Also help in line up guys not being needed near as much. Makes it safer and saves time. And more fair, it's on a computer, not up to the scorers interpretation. Unless one guy mounts it where they aren't supposed too.

Aluminium Block
01-29-2015, 09:29 AM
It's a stupid waste of time to time trial on weekly shows. Even if they are timing during hotlaps, it still draws out the show. Tracks can hotlap 8-10 cars at a time. They aren't going to put that many cars on the track when they do hotlap time trials.

Highside Hustler25
01-29-2015, 11:06 AM
no where I race requires them, and if they did , I doubt they would pay for them, so how much ?

They are fast becoming mandatory at most tracks in my area. You can buy one for around 150 or some tracks rent them for 5 bucks per night. Some tracks charge nothing (unless you don't return it).

vande07
01-29-2015, 03:07 PM
This is my opinion and opinion only.

This is a GREAT idea. Here's the only thing I think that hurts it. Late Model teams are so concerned about "clean air" (especially on big tracks) that it takes them 2 laps to get up to speed, not sure it will work as intended due to that fact.

Now, for the "racers", this is great as they don't worry about "clean air" and they actually may TT better than they would on track by themselves. The bonus is the drivers/teams can measure themselves against other cars and see how their car is driving. If you can manuever and out-time the other cars to beat during time trials, the confidence is up for them going into the actual racing.

Now, the potential downsides. Guys won't get up to speed and end up being terrible in time trials and everyone will complain about the format and you could lose cars.

I've seen group qualifying work very well in other classes (Knoxville does this every week with sprint cars, if they can do it, I don't see why a full bodied car with fenders couldn't). Seems like LM fans don't want any association with anything that isn't a Late Model......even if it's formats or how they qualify....

DLM06
01-29-2015, 04:17 PM
It's a good idea as long as the track isn't a slimy mess for qualifying like the Kokomo Klash. Cars getting tore up in qualifying/hot laps isn't good for the show. Seems like a pill draw and passing points is the best if you don't have a decent way to qualify.

Mittvok
01-29-2015, 04:24 PM
I like the format.

racer67x
01-29-2015, 04:26 PM
They are fast becoming mandatory at most tracks in my area. You can buy one for around 150 or some tracks rent them for 5 bucks per night. Some tracks charge nothing (unless you don't return it).

is that the yellow or red transponder?

around Western Pa the tracks use the red ones..they cost over $400 bucks and most places have rental for $35,sounds like you guys are getting a deal.
the raceceivers are just over $100..plus the ear buds.

Cardirt0
01-29-2015, 09:37 PM
If I want Time t and a big race ... i go too a nascar race.... If there no heats races then they need too charge me less you give me less you charge me less...Don't go to tracks that do fast 8 start up heat races front ether... If they don't race in too the show I don't go... Just me you all can do what you want...

Krooser
01-30-2015, 01:11 AM
$5 rental for a transceiver around here. Raceceivers are also mandatory.

Bubstr
01-30-2015, 01:13 PM
I don't think a lot of fans, think too much about formats. They go to the race and if it was exciting and there was a lot of passing, they come back. If not, they find some place or something, that does excite them.

In The Gas
01-30-2015, 03:24 PM
no it doesn't just changes the format they haven't time trailed on a regular night in YEARS I think I might know been going there since 1962 how about you

Since 1978. I wasn't quite born yet in 62.
Back in my early years they did qualify lates and stree stocks. Mods were not even ran then. I was just staing that if a track is going to hot lap all classes that they might try timing them at the same time. My thought is they put 4 cars on the track at a time for 4 laps, best lap is your qualifying time.

vande07
02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
I might be wrong but I think hall of famer revin kevin knows what he is doing and they don't,take 2 laps get going besides he give them close to to that why the mod mania is such a success

I was going off my experiences. When I watch LM's hot lap at a big track (1/2 mile) the Green is out for 2 laps before everyone is on the loud pedal as hard as they can. Because they are worried about "clean air".

Now, when I see group qualifying, it's not too bad as they cars qualifying together only go out in groups of 3 or 4, first car out is on it right away, and hte rest can space themselves out quickly. More cars than that though and it's the "clean air" deal again (from my experiences with group qualifying anyway).