PDA

View Full Version : Chub frank

paycheckracer
02-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Still in a ROCKET?

AnothaBenchRacer
02-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Still in a ROCKET?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/28/286164205bbb187f8515eb78a19149c852c4007e42e7aabe00 a705e2e9de388d.jpg

_keith_
02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Still in a ROCKET? Yes Chub has 2 new Rockets.....I hear he could be changing engine packages.....

SuperEight
02-01-2015, 10:26 PM
Still in a ROCKET?

I wonder the same thing all the time. Whether you like Rocket or not, everybody I think can agree that Chubzilla and a Rocket chassis haven't clicked in quite some time... Reminds me of Donnie Moran after the Million, free fall all the way to retirement. Best of Luck to the 1* team in 2015.

Josh Bayko
02-01-2015, 10:31 PM
I wonder the same thing all the time. Whether you like Rocket or not, everybody I think can agree that Chubzilla and a Rocket chassis haven't clicked in quite some time... Reminds me of Donnie Moran after the Million, free fall all the way to retirement. Best of Luck to the 1* team in 2015.

He hasn't been the same since that nasty accident he had at Hagerstown. Wrecks that nasty can stay with drivers, and they're never the same. I've seen it happen to a bunch of drivers over the years.

SuperEight
02-01-2015, 10:33 PM
He hasn't been the same since that nasty accident he had at Hagerstown. Wrecks that nasty can stay with drivers, and they're never the same. I've seen it happen to a bunch of drivers over the years.

I hadn't heard about the Hagerstown accident, when was that?

06Tireman
02-02-2015, 06:31 AM
4 or 5 years ago..may have been longer.. he hit the opening on the inside of turn 3... tore the car in half..

Kwoods25
02-02-2015, 06:48 AM
That was a bad wreck. It's a video on YouTube of it

PennDirt
02-02-2015, 12:25 PM

Without a doubt, 2008-2009 produced three wrecks for the 1* that any one of those three could have sent a driver to retirement let alone such a horrific short span in between them.

I didn't see this one live at Charlotte and I doubt there's and way to downplay its impact to the human body but a barrel roll allegedly offers a more energy absorbing impact. I just wonder if this wreck was the 'friendlier' of the three? Only Chub can say.

http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/images/dg0408colossal100__0797_lg.jpg

I did see the Hagerstown wreck live. His hit noise was above the roar of the racing engines. It was gruesome. There was nothing Miller could do to miss Chub at that point, Chub's Rocket was already destroyed. Chassis builders have amazing minds how they can design stuff to collapse or break away and yet keep a driver protected in other areas with no other failures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/OTE_TheMissile/ChubFrank_Wreck/cfrank4.jpg

To me, his McKean wreck was the scariest of all three. I really didn't think Chub was alive this time. He came out turn four full throttle and at this point, he was already unconscious from a rock hitting his helmet. He hit the wall in a way that wasn't a full front-on but still at a sharp enough angle the cracked the concrete wall and it stopped him dead right now. Not even one of those 'roll on down a-ways'. I wasn't optimistic. The impact just created that level of stadium-air being sucked out of the place. No one knew what to expect or what the outcome would be. But in true Chub fashion, he came back the next night and raced.

In all honesty, I haven't seen the same Chub Frank since his accident trifecta. I think his record since validates that, too. Maybe he did race with concussions for years. It's hard to say. Sometimes when people are busy providing for their family, they ignore what they can do versus should do.

Latemodel333
02-02-2015, 01:26 PM
While there is no way to gauge the effect of the accidents, the lost of his primary sponsor Lester Buildings was his biggest hit in the competition department. You cannot replace that typr of sponsor easily, and he hasn't yet. It cuts back the whole program from testing as much as possible to very limited testing or none..... Yes he does have most of the good stuff but how hard do you want to step on that proverbial egg under your foot for fear it could go boom! Cant afford to lose motor, or cars like before. much like anyone with a budget about half of what it was.

Barbecueboy
02-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Was I dreaming when somebody said that chub also had a longhorn in his stable????

RoundNrOUND
02-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Longhorn Rocket, whats the difference. I ask because I truly don't know.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-02-2015, 02:18 PM
I've watched Chub most of my life. Grew up going to Sharon and Raceway 7. Was always a fan and it's a shame he's gone down this road. Knew about the Hagerstown wreck, a little bit about the Charlotte one, no idea about the McKean one. I think at Charlotte he also was one of the guys who got hit with mud etc. Them couple of times where the track chunked up in just huge clumps.

I do think as 333 said, that the funding surely doesn't help him either. That Lester sponsorship I'm guessing was exceptionally good. And I think he is good dude, which makes me actually care more.

pink floyd
02-02-2015, 02:52 PM
I've watched Chub most of my life. Grew up going to Sharon and Raceway 7. Was always a fan and it's a shame he's gone down this road. Knew about the Hagerstown wreck, a little bit about the Charlotte one, no idea about the McKean one. I think at Charlotte he also was one of the guys who got hit with mud etc. Them couple of times where the track chunked up in just huge clumps.

I do think as 333 said, that the funding surely doesn't help him either. That Lester sponsorship I'm guessing was exceptionally good. And I think he is good dude, which makes me actually care more.

chub is a great dude. would love to see him make some noise this year.

Barbecueboy
02-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Was I dreaming when somebody said that chub also had a longhorn in his stable????

Thank you to whomever sent me that longhorn info on chub.......

paycheckracer
02-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Boomer Briggs has the Longhorn. He'll be touring with frank again this year.

Pennsboro23
02-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Good luck to Chub this year! At one point during the mid 2000's he was as good as they came.

pink floyd
02-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Good luck to Chub this year! At one point during the mid 2000's he was as good as they came.

he sure was. watched him dominate many races with the absolute best competition out there.

luke81
02-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Along with the major crashes he was one of the guys who got his face broke in Charlotte the year they ran topless too. When you make your main living doing something other than driving a race car that stuff will stick in your mind sometimes. I'm assuming Frank doesn't race for a living, so I think all that stuff happening may have affected him.

Matt49
02-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Didn't Chub also have his shop burn to the ground several years ago?
It takes a long time to build up the collection of tools and equipment it takes to properly build, setup, and maintain a race car. And insurance money doesn't replace it all either.

Highside Hustler25
02-02-2015, 07:02 PM
I'm as big a Chub Frank fan as anyone but lets face it. Chubs best days are long gone. This has become a young guy sport. Every year their seems to be another youngster who's not even old enough to have a drivers license, jump into a super late model.
It's not because of inferior equipment, he has R/Y power and updated chassis. Lack of help could be his biggest downfall considering he's no young guy and the vigor's of traveling have got to be challenging now days.
If he got off the WoO tour and started hitting regional specials, he'd probably start picking up lots of wins. On the WoO tour, their gonna be hard to get.

Josh Bayko
02-02-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm as big a Chub Frank fan as anyone but lets face it. Chubs best days are long gone. This has become a young guy sport. Every year their seems to be another youngster who's not even old enough to have a drivers license, jump into a super late model.
It's not because of inferior equipment, he has R/Y power and updated chassis. Lack of help could be his biggest downfall considering he's no young guy and the vigor's of traveling have got to be challenging now days.
If he got off the WoO tour and started hitting regional specials, he'd probably start picking up lots of wins. On the WoO tour, their gonna be hard to get.

I don't even know if running locally/regionally would help at this point. He often shows up at Lernerville on WoO off weekends. He used to be dominant when he did that. Now he's running 4th or 5th behind the local hot shots like Miley, Ferree, King and Garvin.

_keith_
02-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Didn't Chub also have his shop burn to the ground several years ago? It takes a long time to build up the collection of tools and equipment it takes to properly build, setup, and maintain a race car. And insurance money doesn't replace it all either. I am sure glad tat Chub was not injured in those minor mis-haps. I for 1 DO NOT attend the races to see the wrecks. I want to see everybody Racing next week nice and healthy. NOW Matt49 you prolly should do ya homework b4 posting something you know nothing about. Here ya go Chub doesn't seem to have many financial woes----->https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chub-Franks-1-Star-Bar/115305288636089?ref=br_tf

chupp n bloomer fan
02-02-2015, 09:31 PM
I am sure glad tat Chub was not injured in those minor mis-haps. I for 1 DO NOT attend the races to see the wrecks. I want to see everybody Racing next week nice and healthy. NOW Matt49 you prolly should do ya homework b4 posting something you know nothing about. Here ya go Chub doesn't seem to have many financial woes----->https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chub-Franks-1-Star-Bar/115305288636089?ref=br_tfKeith, I don't have Facebook. But, that bar deal is at Chubs house last I knew. He did lose his major backing. Lester helped him with the new building and they quit sponsoring him soon after. He did lose his shop, and his help has come and went. Hopefully Boom is with him more this year.

What Matt said is spot on. When your shop burns down, that'll set ya back a lot. Mentally, financially, time, energy. His life is racing, he works on cars and sells cars to customers. To lose your shop would definitely set you back. I just hope he isn't done running good.

Crossbones
02-03-2015, 01:18 AM
Keith, I don't have Facebook. But, that bar deal is at Chubs house last I knew. He did lose his major backing. Lester helped him with the new building and they quit sponsoring him soon after. He did lose his shop, and his help has come and went. Hopefully Boom is with him more this year.

What Matt said is spot on. When your shop burns down, that'll set ya back a lot. Mentally, financially, time, energy. His life is racing, he works on cars and sells cars to customers. To lose your shop would definitely set you back. I just hope he isn't done running good.

His shop burned in I believe 2004. I'm not sure how that would affect anyone from winning (he did win a lot after that).

chupp n bloomer fan
02-03-2015, 07:56 AM
His shop burned in I believe 2004. I'm not sure how that would affect anyone from winning (he did win a lot after that).You are right that it burned in 04'. How it would affect them? Instead of concentrating on racing, you gotta get a shop built and get all the sh!t you lost back. Some of it irreplaceable. It was longer than I thought since it burned. So I'd have to change my opinion to the fact he doesn't have Lester Buildings backing and his bad crashes. Simply because it's been over ten years since the shop burned.

Latemodel333
02-03-2015, 11:56 AM
In a sport where cash is King, and risk vs reward are so narrow money would put him back into the top 3 or 4 on tour. Last year on the WOO tour he didn't do half bad with a 5th in points tie with Wells and his money. Perfect example of how money effects a team or program would be Shane Clanton, in 13 he was a contender, and last year he struggled all year..... Money, Money... Name of the game.
The "Bar" is at the shop....

RoadtoPennsboro
02-03-2015, 12:37 PM
He was getting faster last year running those older rockets he found. I watched him set a new track record at Stateline in qualifying last summer. Never thought I'd see a latemodel break 15 sec there. It was insane. And he was flying in the feature before breaking. Maybe he just hasn't been comfortable in the newer rockets for a while? Not sure what cars he took to Florida but I'll be watching.

And yes, the bar is in the shop. It's not a public bar.

Here is his heat the night he broke the Stateline record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KXJ9A322lQ

And since I posted that, might as well post the feature. All hail the King.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ28_AJs5_A

goincircles
02-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Chub is and has been a favorite of mine for many years however like most drivers/Owners there is never enough money to go around.The traveling part is very expensive and JMO Chub would be further ahead to race regionally and pick a few bigger races he could handle and see how that works.If he comes upon a bunch of money hit the trail again.Miss seeing him at Eldora when I go

Mams
02-03-2015, 05:54 PM
I loved it when he'd show up at Wayne County with his small enclosed trailer (believe they were Hav-A-Tampa races) and blow the doors off all the series regulars. Must have been in the early 2000's when he was known as the shoestring traveler. Also saw his last major win at DTWC. Would love to see him competitive again.

Latemodel333
02-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Ya have to admit the WOO seem to be relatively good to its Dozen, $1250 or about that to start and all the other perks that come with a National traveling series team, he isnt making what Lanigan is, but cant be to bad. Really hope to see him and his team run really well the next couple weeks.

dirt33
02-03-2015, 08:42 PM
I was looking at the shirts on Chub's website. Some pretty cool shirts, although I have a feeling that the website hasn't been updated and those shirts are long out of stock.

Which brings me to a question. I see that Ron Slavic was doing Chub's shirts at the time the website apparel section was last updated. I remember Ron Slavic from several years ago. He did tons of awesome wraps and shirts. I tried to see about finding a way to inquire about the shirts, and came away thinking that Slavic's website also was outdated. Does anyone know if he still does graphics and shirts? I very well could have missed something, as I have been out of the loop for a couple years. I just remember him doing awesome work back when I was still "up on things."

Josh Bayko
02-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I was looking at the shirts on Chub's website. Some pretty cool shirts, although I have a feeling that the website hasn't been updated and those shirts are long out of stock.

Which brings me to a question. I see that Ron Slavic was doing Chub's shirts at the time the website apparel section was last updated. I remember Ron Slavic from several years ago. He did tons of awesome wraps and shirts. I tried to see about finding a way to inquire about the shirts, and came away thinking that Slavic's website also was outdated. Does anyone know if he still does graphics and shirts? I very well could have missed something, as I have been out of the loop for a couple years. I just remember him doing awesome work back when I was still "up on things."

He's still very active with wraps and shirts. His apparel truck is at all the big races in my area. I believe he does the wraps for the Rocket house car too.

dirt33
02-03-2015, 09:43 PM
He's still very active with wraps and shirts. His apparel truck is at all the big races in my area. I believe he does the wraps for the Rocket house car too.

Cool, thanks for the info. He definitely has one of the best "artistic eyes" I have seen when it comes to racing.

IZZOJR16
02-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Don't forget the pain narcotic medication ordeal in Florida. That's a sign he might of had problems with abusing medications. If that was indeed an issue i hope hes got it under control. I know first hand what pain meds can do to someone if they aren't really careful.

Highside Hustler25
02-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Don't forget the pain narcotic medication ordeal in Florida. That's a sign he might of had problems with abusing medications. If that was indeed an issue i hope hes got it under control. I know first hand what pain meds can do to someone if they aren't really careful.

that story was blown so far out of proportion:rolleyes:

IZZOJR16
02-03-2015, 10:18 PM
that story was blown so far out of proportion:rolleyes: thats what I would say to if it happened to me.

Latemodel333
02-04-2015, 08:05 AM

He was comming off an off season procedure, while I could go back and try to find out what the procedure was for I will let you know he was found with something like one (1) pill in his pocket and no rx to go with it at the time of citation, (bottle in toter) he mailed in proof of the rx and it was dismissed!!!!! A user or abuser of narcotics couldn't do what he does for a living and make it very long.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-04-2015, 08:18 AM
thats what I would say to if it happened to me.Well, read up on it before just saying sh!t. Like others have stated, it wasn't in the prescribed bottle. Many people do this, especially if it's something you take on a regular basis. Or if it's something you need short term, but just want to keep it with regular meds if you have some you take.

Nothing came of this. As an out of towner, they dam sure would have if they could.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-04-2015, 08:19 AM
He was comming off an off season procedure, while I could go back and try to find out what the procedure was for I will let you know he was found with something like one (1) pill in his pocket and no rx to go with it at the time of citation, (bottle in toter) he mailed in proof of the rx and it was dismissed!!!!! A user or abuser of narcotics couldn't do what he does for a living and make it very long.Cough cough, tell that to a certain drivers haters.

Josh Bayko
02-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. He definitely has one of the best "artistic eyes" I have seen when it comes to racing.

I agree his designs are amongst the best in racing. If I were to win the lottery and go racing, he'd definitely be doing my wraps and shirts.

SuperEight
02-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Without a doubt, 2008-2009 produced three wrecks for the 1* that any one of those three could have sent a driver to retirement let alone such a horrific short span in between them.

I didn't see this one live at Charlotte and I doubt there's and way to downplay its impact to the human body but a barrel roll allegedly offers a more energy absorbing impact. I just wonder if this wreck was the 'friendlier' of the three? Only Chub can say.

http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/images/dg0408colossal100__0797_lg.jpg

I did see the Hagerstown wreck live. His hit noise was above the roar of the racing engines. It was gruesome. There was nothing Miller could do to miss Chub at that point, Chub's Rocket was already destroyed. Chassis builders have amazing minds how they can design stuff to collapse or break away and yet keep a driver protected in other areas with no other failures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/OTE_TheMissile/ChubFrank_Wreck/cfrank4.jpg

To me, his McKean wreck was the scariest of all three. I really didn't think Chub was alive this time. He came out turn four full throttle and at this point, he was already unconscious from a rock hitting his helmet. He hit the wall in a way that wasn't a full front-on but still at a sharp enough angle the cracked the concrete wall and it stopped him dead right now. Not even one of those 'roll on down a-ways'. I wasn't optimistic. The impact just created that level of stadium-air being sucked out of the place. No one knew what to expect or what the outcome would be. But in true Chub fashion, he came back the next night and raced.

In all honesty, I haven't seen the same Chub Frank since his accident trifecta. I think his record since validates that, too. Maybe he did race with concussions for years. It's hard to say. Sometimes when people are busy providing for their family, they ignore what they can do versus should do.

I didn't know about all of these wrecks, but I did know about Charlotte. One of the reasons i've never supported the World Finals was because so many guys kept getting hurt their and utterly destroying equipment. Chris Madden flipped and got a neck injury, Jeff Cooke had to have facial reconstruction after being hit in the face by a clod or rock, Chub's devastating flip, Dan Schlepper had a car torn in half behind driver, Jackie Boggs, Billy Moyer Concussion and on and on. Its a dangerous sport, but when one place delivers so much carnage maybe something needs to change there. Like I said I don't support that event, I've never been there in person only watched on TV a couple of times and I'm only 2 hrs away. I guess hearing all about the brutality and misfortune that Chub has endured I can see now why he hasn't been himself. I use to build his shocks when he ran Carrera's and back then I was more in tune with what was going on with him week to week. Not sure what the solution is, but I hope and pray that, "The Shoe-string Traveler" can get his Mojo back, no matter what he drives.

I love the idea and format of the "World Finals" but something isn't right with that track in my view. I've been to places faster like the old Golden Isles or the old Cherokee Speedway, but they didn't have the carnage Charlotte delivers every season.

dirtisforracin
02-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Charlotte was dangerous a few years ago, has changed and had had less carnage and horrible wrecks. I believe only one sprint car flip the last couple of years. Chub, has won all the big races he needs to. Has won championships. One of the nicest guys in the pits. Dirt late model racing is better, for having him in the sport.

pink floyd
02-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Chub, has won all the big races he needs to. Has won championships. One of the nicest guys in the pits. Dirt late model racing is better, for having him in the sport.

amen to that!!

HighMaintenance2007
02-06-2015, 01:08 AM
He just pulled in Screven an hour ago

dirty-white-boy
02-06-2015, 01:02 PM
he need an operation on his right foot

To put some lead weight in it?

Rocket0108
02-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Can anybody clarify 100% what chassis chub is in

dirty-white-boy
02-06-2015, 01:11 PM

And how old is Bloomquist? Lannigan? Owens?

drano
02-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Chub 3rd fastest group b at the winter freeze

pa_dirt
02-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Can anybody clarify 100% what chassis chub is in

According to the woo website he was in a longhorn last night.

drano
02-07-2015, 06:31 PM
According to the woo website he was in a longhorn last night.

I saw the same thing good for Chub maybe a change will do him good.