PDA

View Full Version : Starter failure

wilwilbur
02-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Anyone else having starter failures on a standard brinn reverse bel housing . Starter still runs but looses pushing power to push and engage the idler gears. I've been through 5 starters this year different brands. All do the same thing after a while is this common? I take them and get them gone through at local electric shop they always work for a very short period. I mean like adjusting the valves and they quit again. Anyone have a solution ?

wilwilbur
02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Also. It's a brand new bel housing this season. I've had more trouble with one motor than the others. Am I doing something wrong ? It's same problem in two different cars

merc123
02-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Make sure that your bellhousing isn't warped.

hucktyson
02-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Make sure you pump that grease fitting full. Not keeping that thing well lubed can cause what you are describing

rakracing
02-02-2015, 05:51 PM
never had any luck with redoing a race starter, I actually bought a new starter on ebay from dbr starters there good to 15-1 compression ,3 years on a 11.5-1 358cid no problem.145.00 ebay motors, dirt late model starter. check it out

JustAddDirt
02-03-2015, 11:10 AM
make sure you cover them with a bag when washing.
I build my own starters, but I cover them when washing and take off the solenoid cover about once a month and clean the plunger, and the 2 contact ears with emery cloth.
Does starter engage or click, or does it go out to engage the idler gear and just quit?