PDA

View Full Version : Tire grooving help

iceman
02-09-2015, 11:07 AM
The class I race has just gone to the IMCA KK704 tire with grooving and siping allowed. Grooving and siping are new to me, and I'm looking for someone to explain the right way to do it. The best I've been able to garner from you tube and such is: Straight across for rear tires and diagonally for fronts on grooving, and shallow cuts for siping. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that. Thanks.

iceman
02-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Yes, It's the American racer G60. Thanks for the info.

drtrkr244
02-09-2015, 06:14 PM
If youre standing behind the front tires, with them mounted on the car, the angle should be 8:30-1:30. The rears should be straight across.

If budget doesn't allow it, just groove like scd said.

powerslide
02-10-2015, 08:06 AM
I would take it easy on the grooves/sipes to start with. You can always add more but cant take them out. Doesnt take long to ruin a tire.

It also depends how abrasive the track you run on is. I've only flew over new mexico but i'm guessing the tracks are sandy and abrasive. I wouldnt add to many grooves to the rear tires. The fronts you can cut up as much as you want they arent going to build any heat. Look at what the fast guys at your track are doing it will be a good indicator.