PDA

View Full Version : Southern Illinois Speedway

BadgerDirt01
02-10-2015, 10:20 AM
My daughter goes to graduate school in Carbondale, IL. at SIU. Just found out about this speedway which seems to run on Saturday nights. How is the track, car counts etc? Do they run any specials with a series? Thanks

Mcklovin85..
02-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Believe it's mostly sprints, micros, midgets. Never been there or know what their car counts are but I don't think they run late models, mods, etc..

Mcklovin85..
02-10-2015, 12:17 PM
But there are several tracks that run late models mods etc with in 2 hours of Carbondale if your not to familiar with the area..

CIRF
02-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Badger, this track is in Marion, Illinois which is just a half hour or so from Carbondale. It's just a 1/6th mile long and has a fair amount of banking. They run primarily micro sprints as a headliner division. As support divisions they run modifieds and dwarf cars.

The micro-sprint race they run in July pays $7500.00 to win and is one of the highest winners share purses in micro-sprint racing. I reckon this is a pretty big deal to the micro guys.

We've been to SIR while we were camping at Du Quoin for the Silver Crown and ARCA races at The Du Quoin State Fair but haven't seen a race there. SIR must be one of the premier tracks for micro-sprints since they run a POWRi micro show with the micros being the top division. Normally the POWRi micro's run as a support division to the POWRi National Midgets.

I would say if you can be there for the $7500.00 to win micro show in July it would be well worth the effort to attend that show. The micro's usually put on a great show.

Hope this helps.

BadgerDirt01
02-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks, going to try and hit it one time. Paducah, Kentucky Lake, and Fairbury to the north are also on the list. Might even try to squeeze to Tazwell!