PDA

View Full Version : billy moyer sr.

pink floyd
02-13-2015, 09:08 AM
does billy not have many fans?? when he wins, it seems that few people on 4m ever congratulate him or even talk about his success in general. is he disliked?? if so, why?? I have only spoke to billy a few times through the years, but he always took time to answer all of my questions and was very polite each time.

W2Racing09
02-13-2015, 09:11 AM
does billy not have many fans?? when he wins, it seems that few people on 4m ever congratulate him or even talk about his success in general. is he disliked?? if so, why?? I have only spoke to billy a few times through the years, but he always took time to answer all of my questions and was very polite each time.

I think Lanigan has the same kind of situation as Moyer does, not a ton of fans out there. Its probably the driving style, consistent, smooth, not much of a risk taker, and never makes any waves.

badacefaist19
02-13-2015, 01:14 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Smooth this past weekend at Screven. Very cool dude, extremely nice. I would say I am a fan of his.

CIRF
02-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Hmmm!

A guy drives clean for the most part, is very good by anyone's assessment, doesn't risk his car or well being or anyone else's car or well being and doesn't make waves. I'll interpret the "doesn't make waves" as racing clean and sensible and not hitting people in order to win or advance their running position or running his mouth and making a fool of himself.

That is an odd criteria for not being a fan.

Interesting.

I have always really liked the guy for all the aforementioned reasons.

TackyTracker
02-13-2015, 02:28 PM
always been a love/hate for me and Moyer... Ton's of respect but always seemed he would win every show I went to growing up... During the video last night after he won Moyer is closing in on 800 career wins...

Everybody should at least respect that

Pennsboro23
02-13-2015, 02:33 PM
I respect him, but I do not root for him. Him and Lanigan are two of the guys I actually root against...

W2Racing09
02-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Hmmm!

A guy drives clean for the most part, is very good by anyone's assessment, doesn't risk his car or well being or anyone else's car or well being and doesn't make waves. I'll interpret the "doesn't make waves" as racing clean and sensible and not hitting people in order to win or advance their running position or running his mouth and making a fool of himself.

That is an odd criteria for not being a fan.

Interesting.

I have always really liked the guy for all the aforementioned reasons.

I watch racing to see some exciting racing and people taking chances, not to watch someone settle for second because they think it would be difficult to pass the car in front. Like him or hate him, you can't deny that if Josh Richards didn't take chances there would be significantly less posting on this forum over the past week.

I can always count on you to make a post like that CIRF.

Thanks,
Jeff.

plunks7
02-13-2015, 02:59 PM
I respect him, but I do not root for him. Him and Lanigan are two of the guys I actually root against...

That's a HUGH BIG 10-4 right there!!!!!!!!!!! Up until right now, this is my Favorite Post. :)

Kwd1253
02-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Billy, is one of five my all time fav. Driver next to Freddy,frye,bloomquist, doug ingalls. Alway like how he runs he rarely wrecks other drivers. But it goes back when I was a kid. The first race I went to at Baton Rouge raceway billy won that night. That also why the other 4 drivers are my all time fav. Drivers watching them as kid at tracks.

moyerfan1
02-13-2015, 04:37 PM
one of the all time best to sit behind the wheel.. been a fan of his for over 25 years now... keep the wins coming billy...

Birky15Bfan
02-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Always have to root for an Iowa native. Billy has always taken the time to talk to me whenever I went up to him in the pits.

lb_sa
02-13-2015, 11:14 PM
I've been huge Moyer fan my entire life. I think with what others have said about him being a calm guy, smooth driver, etc also fits his fan base. After he wins you don't see his fans on here gloating or talking a bunch of smack like a lot of guys. Moyer is a legend and pure class. He and Scott are the best we will ever see.

Bumpandrun
02-14-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm a Moyer fan. He has been a top late model driver for many years, and will be until he retires. I have a lot of respect for him and the way he races. I feel he races other drivers clean and treats them with respect.

rickybrown1952
02-14-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm a billy moyer fan last night was his 25th win at east bay if you like late model racing you have to be a fan of that

CIRF
02-14-2015, 12:17 PM
I watch racing to see some exciting racing and people taking chances, not to watch someone settle for second because they think it would be difficult to pass the car in front. Like him or hate him, you can't deny that if Josh Richards didn't take chances there would be significantly less posting on this forum over the past week.

I can always count on you to make a post like that CIRF.

Thanks,
Jeff.

I wasn't at East Bay to see Richards take all of those exciting chances so I can't speak to that. However, taking chances is part of being a quality race car driver and Moyer has taken plenty of them in order to amass his stellar record. He just doesn't seem as if he'll stoop to the level of wrecking a guy or deliberately drive dirty in order to advance his position. At least not all that often, it would seem.

How these drivers treat each other on the race track is of no particular concern, none of that costs me as nickel as a spectator and I don't have to fix the damage anymore. Driver skill, determination and a sense of fair play is what is most appealing. Quite simply a guy that can get it done without resorting to what amounts to stealing from a fellow competitor. It takes no skill, determination or guts to take a guy out or deliberately hit a guy to pass him. If that is what puts the "excitement" in racing that's fine. But, lets call it what it really is, which is dirty driving, not taking chances, unless the guy whose being roughed up is Jack Hewitt, or someone like him, that is more than willing to rearrange the perpetrator's facial features in the pits. That's where the chances are really taken with a guy like that! LOl!!

Bubstr
02-14-2015, 12:43 PM
I've been a Moyer fan since he was a young man running in the NASCAR points races in Iowa, not that I don't enjoy seeing other racers beat him. It's just part of being a fan of racing, and not a particular driver. When he doesn't get the exuberance that some others get, after a win, I think it's because, most expected him to win. Billy has been threw the wars. He was booed for being the kid with the silver spoon. He is booed for winning too much. Now he is loved for being a Icon of the sport. Soon he will be viewed as one of the greatest of all time, by all. One of the most complimentary things ever said about him, was when Brian Berkoffer said, he learned to race with the big boys from Billy. Billy has laid down a record that will be hard to match.

CIRF
02-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Good post Bubstr.

There was a stretch of season's back in the 1990's that saw Moyer pretty much clean up almost everywhere he raced. What was impressive is we watched him win at The Springfield Mile, The Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile and also at Mighty Macon and every configuration and size track in between.

And yes it did become a bit monotonous.

A friend, who is now retired, was a pretty good dirt late model driver and I helped on his car for a while back in those days. This is a guy who's a multiple time late model points champion at a track that is considered by many to be the best weekly late model track in the country. Following his retirement we were having a few beers together and I asked him what he felt was his greatest moment while at the controls of a dirt late model and he said without hesitation it was beating Billy Moyer in a Summernationals show. Keep in mind this same driver raced against and on occasion beat Bloomy, Pierce, Freddy Smith, Moran and several others.

I also asked him who was the best he ever competed against and again, without hesitation, he said it was Billy Moyer. He said you could trust him to not put you or your car in jeopardy and run you clean, fair and square. From that day forward we took on an undivided regard for Mr. Moyer even though I don't consider myself a big fan.

SuperEight
02-15-2015, 11:47 AM

We aren't the gloating boastful types, we just take care of business.
Picking Cherries and sneak attacking the rest!
Long Live Mr. Smooth

BadlandsBandit12
02-15-2015, 07:38 PM
I was glad to see Billy win 3 times this week. He is after all 57 years old and still winning. When a guy that old beats a bunch of younger guys, that is just something else!

zyoung25
02-15-2015, 07:56 PM
I know some don't like him because he whines or whatever. He does whine when things don't go his way, but who dont? Moyer has always been a favorite of mine. Kinda reminds me of myself in a way. He's quite and keeps to himself for the most part. His driving style is what I like more than anything. Always straight and smooth, never out of shape, he just seems to have the ability to sit and wait for a mistake to make his move. I can't remember ever seeing him use someone for wall on purpose. It's rare to see him finish a race with a bent up race car.

I just wonder how much longer he will stay with it at the level he's at?

rickybrown1952
02-15-2015, 10:12 PM
I know some don't like him because he whines or whatever. He does whine when things don't go his way, but who dont? Moyer has always been a favorite of mine. Kinda reminds me of myself in a way. He's quite and keeps to himself for the most part. His driving style is what I like more than anything. Always straight and smooth, never out of shape, he just seems to have the ability to sit and wait for a mistake to make his move. I can't remember ever seeing him use someone for wall on purpose. It's rare to see him finish a race with a bent up race car. I just wonder how much longer he will stay with it at the level he's at?Wow great post I too wonder how much longer he will run as he does now I would guess about 2 or 3 more yrs.

moyerfan1
02-16-2015, 05:03 PM
i hope its atleast 5 or more years...

rocket1*
02-16-2015, 06:15 PM
I have always liked Billy Moyer. When his wins he's not arrogant about it and when he gets beat he doesn't have a bunch of excuses. He will tell that the guy that won" kicked our butts". I really respect that.

dirtracefan21
02-18-2015, 10:30 AM
have always been a Billy Moyer fan ever since I can remember going to my first race back when I was 6 or 7. My mom was a huge Billy fan and having met him and his wife several times you can not find any friendlier people. Little Billy is the same way! Nobody likes a winner and Billy has done a lot of that his career! He cant still kick the young guns butts whenever he wants and is always one of the favorites when he pulls into any pits!

Matt49
02-18-2015, 11:01 AM
I think you'll find that most fans of any sporting figure are fans of the guy because they admire (and in some cases emulate) the way the person is on and off the track. When Billy wins a race, he gets out of the car, waves to the fans, gets his picture taken, and goes home. So you wouldn't expect his fans to be tearing the catch fence down after every win he gets.
Just for the sake of a contrasting example, take T-Mac. He's a ball of emotion win he wins. There's nothing wrong with that but it's just different. When he wins you know about it...banging on the roof, hootin' and hollerin'. And his fans likewise are ready to bring the house down. He certainly doesn't have as many fans as Moyer does but the crowd sure is a lot louder when he wins. This is the reason why.

cmmg42
02-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Love him or hate him, you have to respect his accomplishments. One of the best.

TS FAN
02-18-2015, 11:13 AM
The Moyer family has been great for racing. Personally, I do not get to see them very often so I am kind of indifferent when they win. Billy used to run at Florence a couple times a year, and I enjoyed watching him.