PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Gustin?

Nasty55
02-14-2015, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know by chance what's going on with Ryan's latemodel plans for this yr? He has been in his modified the past 3 nights at shady oaks speedway in Texas running with the usmts series which he won the feature there tonight!

ksmitty79
02-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Saw an interview where he was asked about his late model plans and his comments were somewhere along the lines of "I couldn't make a living off of driving a late models. Those guys are so good and when your off just a litte bit you end up getting lapped." I think he is committed to the USMTS and running for points again this year. Just a guess after his comments.. I believe I saw it on USMTS facebook page

huskerdirt
02-14-2015, 10:34 PM
I saw the same interview..... At end he said, "To make a living, I'm probably gonna have to do this a little more."

I don't see him running usmts points. That schedule is brutal enough if you wanna run all the races. There are a lot of races close to the shop in Wichita. So some weekends instead of hauling the LM somewhere, they'll probably race the mod closer to home.

dirt33
02-14-2015, 10:39 PM
The schedule on his website shows plans to run the late model at ArkLaTex for the Pelican 100 in two weeks. (USMTS races in El Paso that weekend).

As good as he is in a modified, I can certainly understand his comments about it being more difficult to make money in the late model. Sure, the payouts for LM races are higher, but when you are a top 2-3 car night in and night out on the USMTS trail, you could certainly rack up the paychecks. Interesting dilemma for Ryan and his team.... Run USMTS and be at the front of the pack every night, or run late models and continue to build/learn, working towards being a consistent front runner where of course the prize monies would be substantially more.

He is certainly good enough to rise to the top of the late model ranks if that is what he chooses to focus on.

Bigracer93
02-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Gustin has made over 350k in a year in a mod before granted that all doesn't go to him but still it's extremelt hard to make that much doing anything so if he knows he can make that kind of money in a mod then why not do it.. Not to mention he has a kid at home that he has to support..

dirt33
02-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Gustin has made over 350k in a year in a mod before

He's real good, but that figure seems a little hard to believe. Let's say he ran 100 times that year, which I don't imagine he did... That would average out to $3,500 a night, which is more than most USMTS features pay to win. Even with winning the Jamboree, Modified Dirt Track Championship, etc, seems like it would be hard to average $3,500 (or more, assuming fewer than 100 nights) for a full season to clear $350K in winnings.

Edit, perhaps I am underestimating the number of nights that he has run in past seasons. It just seems like it would be hard to run 100 nights, I'm thinking the USMTS schedule has been more like 60-70 races most seasons... I could be wrong about that.

Bigracer93
02-15-2015, 12:37 AM
It was in that ball park may have said 250k and he won every crown jewel! I remember reading that number somewhere so I'll see if I can find the article!

huskerdirt
02-15-2015, 12:49 AM
2011 was the year he won like 20 races. The regional champs got 2500. The national champ got 20000 that year

Scott Boesel
02-15-2015, 01:32 AM
I wish he would have won the I80 silver dollar natls in 2013 he was gone and got in to a lap car and that was that if he would have won that race it would have been huge

retired racer
02-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Go's to show everyone that he wasn't as good or ready as everyone thought, it certainly wasn't because of a lack of dollars, so it must have been a lack of talent.

george w
02-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Talents there ask anyone whos seen him in person ......

retired racer
02-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Then why step back to the mods? he stated that late models is where he wanted to be,he was there but couldn't get the results that were expected.

dirt33
02-15-2015, 10:14 AM
I think maybe people could easily misinterpret his comments, and think that "he's going back to modifieds". Fact is, he is the best UMSTS modified driver when he shows up to those events, and to top it off, USMTS pays pretty darn well. Most drivers don't have the equipment/ability to switch between late models and modifieds at their discretion. Sounds to me like the team is contemplating hitting some more modified shows, to take advantage of the "upper hand" that they have in that division. I imagine he will still run the late model primarily. Being so good in the modified could seem to work against his ascent in the late model somewhat, as it certainly has to be tempting to run some of the biggest paying USMTS shows on weekends where there are well-paying late model races as well.

As far for comments above about him not being as good or as talented, I disagree completely. He has done very well for himself in his brief career in a late model, and will certainly continue to build consistency the more time he spends in one.

Here is what he accomplished last year in a late model; see how many guys in their first full year in a late model can match these stats:

Winter Extreme in Tucson - final three nights 2nd, 4th, 1st ($10,000 win to finish off the event)
NDRL at El Paso - best finish of 4th
SUPR at Texas Motor Speedway - 3rd
Pelican 100 at Ark La Tex - 3rd
MARS at Springfield - 2nd
Lucas Oil at ArkLaTex - 3rd
MARS at 34 Raceway - 6th
MARS at Dodge City - 1st
MARS at 81 Speedway - 1st
MLRA at Davenport - 4th
MLRA at Maquoketa - 6th
MLRA at Muskogee - 5th and 7th
Show Me 100 - 10th
Made the feature at the Dream
MLRA at Oskaloosa - 6th
MLRA at Donnellson - 2nd
MLRA at Moberly - 1st
MLRA at Humboldt - 1st
MLRA at Mayetta - 5th
MLRA at Salina - 6th
Lucas Oil at Tri City - 7th
Lucas Oil at Lakeside - 8th
MLRA at McCool Junction - 1st
MARS at Monnet - 5th
UMP at Tri City - 2nd
SLMR at Lakeside - 3rd and 1st
MLRA at Wheatland - 1st
Spooker at Tri State - 2nd and 1st

Now.... There were certainly some other finishes throughout the year that weren't as good as the ones listed above (1st full year in a late model). However, how could you compile a list of the finishes above without being pretty darn good? I guess anyone who had expectations that Gustin would come out and immediately be at the top level of late models would indeed see those expectations fall short. However, I think most fans would be pretty impressed to see what he did last year, and it's not hard to see that he will continue to get better the more he is in a late model. The beginning of his modified career was the same way. He picked off a win here and there, and displayed a ton of speed most of the time, enough to make people think, "Boy, this kid is probably going to be pretty good." Yep, within a few years he was the man to beat at USMTS shows, going from a guy who won some features to a guy who won multiple features in a row, often.

dirt33
02-15-2015, 10:29 AM
http://www.tricityspeedway.net/2014/09/12/results-september-12th-2014/ any more lies

His website listed him as finishing 2nd that night at Tri City. Looks like his website is wrong. The error is that they appear to have Tri City and I-55 swapped, as he did finish 2nd the following night at I-55 (finishing order behind him was Pierce, Moyer, Korte, Landers, Erb, Sheppard, Moyer JR JR, Birkhofer). So, the only "lie" above is the track name. Change it to I-55 and the point stands.

slydejob18
02-15-2015, 10:32 AM
The guy's got the talent. No way to deny that. Interesting that he would make the comment about being off just a little and getting lapped. Gotta say that sounds like an excuse IMO.

Most likely, this is about money. Plain and simple. And I agree with some others who posted---The Reaper's not done in a LM, hopefully just re-evaluating his plan. I wish him luck---the dude can put on a show.

Go 18!!

slydejob18
02-15-2015, 10:36 AM
You've got it right Dirt33. He finished second to Babb--they had a nice back and forth battle for about 2/3 of that feature.

Go 18!!

dirt33
02-15-2015, 10:45 AM
so why is he going back to mods explain that

Please show where he said he was "going back to mods", and then I'll contemplate how that strikes me. He hasn't ever quit running a modified, and I am not aware of any plans to sell the late models and return to running only modifieds.

He is better in a modified than he is in a late model, currently. He has run a modified hundreds, if not thousands, of times. He's raced a late model 50 times or so, if I were to guess. He is one of the few guys that could conceivably make more money in a modified on a given weekend than he could in a late model (Terry Phillips is another that comes to mind). That has to do with how good he is in a modified, and how much tougher the late model competition is. He's racing for a living, after all. A weekend of 3rd, 2nd, 1st in a USMTS mod earned his team $6,700 this weekend. Say he raced a couple MLRA shows instead (if it were later in the year, of course). I'm not positive what MLRA races pay, but I'm not sure he could win $6,700 even if he swept a MLRA weekend.

To make more money in a late model, he would have to not only turn his top 5-10s into top 2-3s like he does in a mod, but he would also likely have to put on more miles getting to WoO and Lucas Oil races. From central Kansas, that would be a ton more expense than it would be to run the regional MLRA/MARS stuff, and if you're in his shoes looking at it from a "making a living" point of view, how could you NOT show up to a USMTS race a couple hours from the shop knowing that you have a real good chance to equal or better your winning as compared to the late models races that are available in the same area?

dirt33
02-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Oh I agree, there are definitely a lot of other guys who could win some good money at the top levels of modified racing if they had cars at the ready. One of the things that I'm sure makes it appealing to Gustin to run some USMTS shows is that the competition isn't as strong as the late model races he runs (by that, I mean, the competition isn't as strong IF YOU ARE RYAN GUSTIN. I don't mean that the overall competition amongst all USMTS cars isn't tough.) The racing is good at USMTS shows, but Ryan is simply a slight notch above everyone not named Jason Hughes (last night's win was his 69th USMTS win). Whereas in the late model ranks, he isn't at that level at this time. As he gains more experience in a late model, he will get better, there is no doubt in my mind.

I'm sure it's not lost on Gustin that Rodney Sanders and Stormy Scott appear to be making a transition to late models as well. You add those two to this weekend's USMTS field in Texas, and it obviously makes it a whole lot tougher for Gustin to run top 3 all nights. Could that be a small factor in his thinking? A smart racer trying to make a living is going to run when/where he has the best chance to pad his pockets. Sanders won a ton of races last year. If by chance he decides to run his late model primarily this year, that frees up a bunch of money and races for someone else to win. Edit, certainly not saying that Gustin wouldn't run the USMTS races if Sanders and Scott were there. Just saying that to him, if you can look at those guys racing late models in Florida, and thus not being in Texas, it might make the cash register start dinging in your head a little bit more regarding the prospect of heading down to Texas. Interesting to me that, at this time, Gressel Racing does not have next weekend's USMTS triple header in Houston on the schedule. It seems surprising to me that they would drive well down into Texas and then go back home (many of the drivers that were at Shady Oaks have commented on Facebook, etc about being in Texas for 5 weeks, given that USMTS has triple headers in Texas (and 1 in Las Cruces, NM) each of the next 4 weekends). I'm not familiar with how frequently the Gressel website gets updated or how far out they post their schedule, but I certainly would not be surprised to see Gustin at Houston next weekend.

dirt33
02-15-2015, 11:19 AM
jason hughes another one that tried late model and went back

Not surprising at all to see him return to USMTS racing. He wasn't racing his own stuff in the Lucas Oil LM events, and when Rowland bought Reece's equipment and kept Owens in the car, meaning Hughes was back on his own, it was a no brainer for Jason.

Hughes definitely seems like a guy who actually prefers racing modifieds to late models. He even said as much after Friday night's UMSTS show.

Edit, it also serves Hughes well to run modifieds as his chassis building business thrives when he is running (and winning) USMTS races.

huskerdirt
02-15-2015, 12:47 PM
http://www.jrishocks.com/jri-shocks-announces-2015-usmts-partnership/ makes you say hmmmmmm

Gustins car run intergras........ Move along. There was a decent conversation going until you showed and your alter ego showed up. Please show yourself to the door.

Dirt33..... Pretty much spot on analysis.

Nasty55
02-16-2015, 02:27 AM
Saw an interview where he was asked about his late model plans and his comments were somewhere along the lines of "I couldn't make a living off of driving a late models. Those guys are so good and when your off just a litte bit you end up getting lapped." I think he is committed to the USMTS and running for points again this year. Just a guess after his comments.. I believe I saw it on USMTS facebook page

I saw the same interview..... At end he said, "To make a living, I'm probably gonna have to do this a little more."

I don't see him running usmts points. That schedule is brutal enough if you wanna run all the races. There are a lot of races close to the shop in Wichita. So some weekends instead of hauling the LM somewhere, they'll probably race the mod closer to home.

Thanks ksmitty and Huskerdirt I was just curious and I figured that someone knew better than me lol... Ryan definitely has a lot of talent and I am hoping that he continues to grow in his latemodel program... Ive watched him several times in the modified and hope to see him somewhere this yr in the latemodel.. How you been doing Huskerdirt? Long time no see my friend..

Nasty55
02-16-2015, 02:30 AM
I wish he would have won the I80 silver dollar natls in 2013 he was gone and got in to a lap car and that was that if he would have won that race it would have been huge

Yeah Scott he had that race won and just made a rookie mistake but I'm sure he was kicking himself afterwards....

Nasty55
02-16-2015, 02:35 AM
Go's to show everyone that he wasn't as good or ready as everyone thought, it certainly wasn't because of a lack of dollars, so it must have been a lack of talent.

It sures heck isn't from lack of talent retired racer!! Have you ever had the opportunity to watch Ryan race in person? I can probably answer that question for you and say NO because if you'd of seen him race you would know that the kid has the talent!!! :)

huskerdirt
02-16-2015, 05:30 AM
Thanks ksmitty and Huskerdirt I was just curious and I figured that someone knew better than me lol... Ryan definitely has a lot of talent and I am hoping that he continues to grow in his latemodel program... Ive watched him several times in the modified and hope to see him somewhere this yr in the latemodel.. How you been doing Huskerdirt? Long time no see my friend..

I've been doing good. Just waiting on race season.

Gustin and Gressel have invested too much into the late model program to be just throwing it off to the side.

huskerdirt
02-16-2015, 05:39 AM

He has talent. A lot of it. I've told people the only difference the national tour guys and your regional hot shoe was laps. Regional guys typically run 30 laps, while most national shows are 50. If you watch some races closely, especially when MLRA and Lucas mix it up. You'll find the regional guys can stay with national guys for most of the first half the race. Then they fade as the laps whine down.

I've never said he was ready for big time. Even after I witnessed that incredible charge to the front at I-80. I walked away from that night knowing I would probably never see something like that again. He did that in an older Moyer VC, BTW. The regional fields around here are tough. Just about every week you gotta deal with the Simpsons, Phillips, Jackson, Vaught, Stovall, Payne and now Sanders occasionally. When those boys roll into the same pit area. Whether it's a 20 car field or 50, you definitely know you are gonna see a car race.

There are tracks Gustin is extremely good at in a late model. Wheatland, I-80, Wichita, and Junction. So when Lucas or MLRA, or NCRA has a race at those tracks...... I would be shocked if the late model didn't roll onto the liftgate.

Birky15Bfan
02-16-2015, 07:01 AM
I would have liked to seen how the race at I80 would have played out if Ryan didn't get into Kyle Berck. There were still a bunch of laps left and it would have been interesting to see how his tires held up after the way he charged through the field.

retired racer
02-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Not trying to argue, just stating the obvious his talent level isn't there yet,yes he is great in a mod but it remains to be proven in a late model.

kazual
02-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Not saying its the same but reminds me of when Kelly Boen would pull out for hot laps, you knew things just got more interesting. He is a great addition to any racing event, mod or late model.

Bubstr
02-16-2015, 12:06 PM
I would have liked to seen how the race at I80 would have played out if Ryan didn't get into Kyle Berck. There were still a bunch of laps left and it would have been interesting to see how his tires held up after the way he charged through the field.

I was thinking the same thing about the I 80 race. Is he using up too much car, too early. He has more than enough talent. He just lacks some judgement at times. He has that seat of the pants ability to know when to push the go pedal and get more speed when it's available and when it's not. This can be a bad thing also. If all your tools are hammers, all situations are nails. I see a lot of improvement in discretion of when to go and when not to, this last year. It's a little less exciting, but a lot less Kile Berck incidences. I'm not sure, but I heard Gressel Racing lost their crew chief this year.

Scott Boesel
02-16-2015, 12:25 PM
he started dead last at I80 the year he was running in the lead sure was fun to watch and tony jackson jr had a great finish that night also

retired racer
02-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Ok so he has talent just lacks good judgement I wonder then how he has won so many mod races, Hmm? Until he wins consistently against the top late model guys can we agree that he is great in mods but not so much in late models , if you remember last year he was all the rage,next best thing to come along,now he appears to be taking a step back from where he himself said he wanted to be.

huskerdirt
02-16-2015, 03:20 PM
He had 8 wins last year, probably should've had 2 or 3 more. Which was more than pretty much everybody in the midwest except Terry Phillips who had 9.

He's great in a mod and pretty dang good in a late model. It's possible that people had the bar set alittle to high for Mr Gustin from beginning. Maybe that's why some think, "he isn't so good."

retired racer
02-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Exactly the point I was trying to make husker, thank you.

Nasty55
02-17-2015, 01:33 AM

That makes 2 of us Birky15fan he was definitely on a mission that night for sure!

Nasty55
02-17-2015, 01:38 AM
Not trying to argue, just stating the obvious his talent level isn't there yet,yes he is great in a mod but it remains to be proven in a late model.

No worries retired racer I think we can all agree that Ryan has a boat load of talent he just doesn't have the seat time yet to be proven... I'm sure though that he is going to be a force in the latemodel ranks in time but until then he has the modified to fall back on.....

J20in1st
02-17-2015, 01:45 AM
It sures heck isn't from lack of talent retired racer!! Have you ever had the opportunity to watch Ryan race in person? I can probably answer that question for you and say NO because if you'd of seen him race you would know that the kid has the talent!!! :)

Ryan has the talent but needs the seat time. He pretty much said he cant cut it full time in late models right now and needs to stick to mods

Deep_pockets
02-17-2015, 05:41 AM
He is good but you cant out spend everyone in a late model and win races like he can in the mod. He is talented no doubt. But money wise their mod program is way over the top compared to most of the guys he races against. His late model program is average compared to other late model teams and his talent is why he has had the success he has had there. If I read between the lines his car owner pays for everything and he keeps a large part if not all of what he wins. That would make those $2k and $3k a night wins look pretty good running a mod. To win consistently on a national level these days in a late model you need more than money and one or two guys working on your stuff if you dont have 20 years of experience. I am a fan of his for sure.

retired racer
02-17-2015, 07:33 AM
He had enough money to go from last to first at I80 then crashed, enough money to start on the pole at Davenport Ia. then went backwards,maybe someday it will come together for him but it's hard to improve in a late model driving a mod.

fryefan
02-17-2015, 08:11 PM
He is good but you cant out spend everyone in a late model and win races like he can in the mod. He is talented no doubt. But money wise their mod program is way over the top compared to most of the guys he races against. His late model program is average compared to other late model teams and his talent is why he has had the success he has had there. If I read between the lines his car owner pays for everything and he keeps a large part if not all of what he wins. That would make those $2k and $3k a night wins look pretty good running a mod. To win consistently on a national level these days in a late model you need more than money and one or two guys working on your stuff if you dont have 20 years of experience. I am a fan of his for sure.

There are several other USMTS teams that have just as good, and in some cases better, equipment as Ryan does.
Also, Ryan is going to be running his late model more than his modified this year. He did that last year also.

Deep_pockets
02-17-2015, 09:10 PM
Not according to what he said last weekend. He is going to be running the mod more so he can make some money. No one in USMTS has better equipment than he does. It isnt that he doesnt have good late model stuff. They just dont know what to do with it currently.

huskerdirt
02-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Not according to what he said last weekend. He is going to be running the mod more so he can make some money. No one in USMTS has better equipment than he does. It isnt that he doesnt have good late model stuff. They just dont know what to do with it currently.

He said "I'm gonna have to do more of this stuff". Which implies he will race the mod more. Does it mean he will race it more than the late model? Probably not. Btw...... The next race on his schedule is a late model race.

I can think of three teams right off hand that have just as good if not better equipment. Rodney Sanders, Stormy Scott, and Jason Hughes. Gustin drives a Hughes Chassis, btw.

dirt33
02-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Some good posts in this thread, some not so much. I'm not calling out any specific posters, as this is what internet message boards are for. However, it definitely makes me think that if I were a driver, I sure as heck wouldn't want to do any reading on here (as I'm sure 99% of them don't...). Although, if I'm Ryan Gustin, I probably get a good chuckle:

- people evidently know how much of a cut I get of race winnings
- they know how much we have invested in our equipment, and how that compares to other top teams
- I evidently don't know what to do with a late model (I wonder how the guys who won fewer than the 9 LM races that I did last year must feel about their chassis/setup prowess?)
- I don't have talent or good judgement
- people are certain of my plans for the year, even though much of the prognostication in this thread doesn't sum up my 2015 plans at all.... I guess I'd better get off of here and go let Ed know that we are running USMTS for points this year. I don't think he was aware of that yet. Or at least, he hasn't told me.

Edit, it does bear mentioning that the clown that was responsible for most of the hot air in this thread appears to have been banned, so that is definitely a step in the right direction 4m!

Deep_pockets
02-17-2015, 10:56 PM
I cant see where anyone was banned. I also cant see any hot air as I simply see a discussion.

TeamGRT12x
02-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Basically, without a full time crew chief who has been on the road with Late Models, it's a VERY tough learning curve. It's Ryan, Roger and the car owner most nights. There is a LOT more to the late model than the modified. Two completely different animals. He can tune a modified no problem, he's been doing it for 10 years. Late Models not so much, and when you have bills to pay, the learning curve can't be there.

Second, his modified program isn't "better than everyone elses" because of money. He rolls the same equipment out of the trailer that Hughes, Sanders, Krohn and so forth does nightly.

The late model will still get raced and he will still win. He's just very head strong and at the same time realizes he has to pay bills like the rest of us. Don't worry, he will be back in late models full time soon enough.

We did win a smooth $1,000 at an indoor go kart race last month, musta "out money'ed" those guys too huh ;)

TeamGRT12x
02-18-2015, 03:18 AM
Quick Note:
He'll be racing for $10,000 in a Southern Sport Mod this weekend, followed by the Pelican 100. Look for him to run strong at the Pelican.

huskerdirt
02-18-2015, 05:36 AM
Basically, without a full time crew chief who has been on the road with Late Models, it's a VERY tough learning curve. It's Ryan, Roger and the car owner most nights. There is a LOT more to the late model than the modified. Two completely different animals. He can tune a modified no problem, he's been doing it for 10 years. Late Models not so much, and when you have bills to pay, the learning curve can't be there.

Second, his modified program isn't "better than everyone elses" because of money. He rolls the same equipment out of the trailer that Hughes, Sanders, Krohn and so forth does nightly.

The late model will still get raced and he will still win. He's just very head strong and at the same time realizes he has to pay bills like the rest of us. Don't worry, he will be back in late models full time soon enough.

We did win a smooth $1,000 at an indoor go kart race last month, musta "out money'ed" those guys too huh ;)

Great post!!! Thanks for clarifying some stuff. Did you guys get that Kart win over at the Nebraska Kart Shootout in Lincoln?

Deep_pockets
02-18-2015, 06:36 AM
Of course his mod is better than most people because of money. Ya there are about five guys that have the same stuff. But show up at a big late model race and there is 30 guys with the same stuff. You took it as an insult that he has better stuff than most with a mod. It wasnt meant that way at all. It is just the facts.

J20in1st
02-18-2015, 07:07 AM
I cant see where anyone was banned. I also cant see any hot air as I simply see a discussion.

No worries you're on the review list

Nasty55
02-18-2015, 08:04 AM

Great post ty TeamGrt12x for clearing up my original question.... I have always enjoyed watching Ryan race...

dirt33
02-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Quick Note:
He'll be racing for $10,000 in a Southern Sport Mod this weekend, followed by the Pelican 100. Look for him to run strong at the Pelican.

Thanks for the info. I wondered why he wasn't going to be at the Baytown USMTS show this weekend. I hadn't been aware of the Longhorn Roundup at Super Bowl returning this year, wow 10 grand for sport mods?

TeamGRT12x
02-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I wondered why he wasn't going to be at the Baytown USMTS show this weekend. I hadn't been aware of the Longhorn Roundup at Super Bowl returning this year, wow 10 grand for sport mods?

Deep_Pockets

I would be surprised if they spent as much on the modified as you think they do. I agree with what you're saying, but it has nothing to do with money on the late model side either. His equipment is par with everyone else's, but he's lacking the knowledge setup, tire wise. Showed up to Knoxville in 2013 and ran up front until a power steering hose broke. Wasn't something we could prepare for, just a part failure. That was also a tire rule race.

Husker:

Went to Lincoln but didn't get the W there. Went to Emma Missouri for a special deal they were running and ran good. It's our solution to the winter time blues lol

x5lives
02-18-2015, 11:22 PM
FWIW, the kid earned the money ride by getting it done with a lot less.

fryefan
02-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Of course his mod is better than most people because of money. Ya there are about five guys that have the same stuff. But show up at a big late model race and there is 30 guys with the same stuff. You took it as an insult that he has better stuff than most with a mod. It wasnt meant that way at all. It is just the facts.

See that you have changed your tune. I tried to tell you on page 2 that several other USMTS guys have just as good, if not better, equipment than Ryan and you responded with this, "No one in USMTS has better equipment than he does."

TUTY
02-20-2015, 01:03 AM
There's a lot of money there but a lot of USMTS guys have that kind of money. Rodney Sanders, Jason Krohn, Stormy Scott, Johnny Scott, Jason Hughes, Rolland, Those Arnneson Kids, money isn't everything. Go to Deer Creek sometime for the World Finals or Fall Jamboree and you'll see money. More money is lost in the pits after the races in card games then you could ever win racing. There's 15 or 20 more cars that have UNLIMITED funds.

TeamGRT12x
02-20-2015, 02:05 AM
There's a lot of money there but a lot of USMTS guys have that kind of money. Rodney Sanders, Jason Krohn, Stormy Scott, Johnny Scott, Jason Hughes, Rolland, Those Arnneson Kids, money isn't everything. Go to Deer Creek sometime for the World Finals or Fall Jamboree and you'll see money. More money is lost in the pits after the races in card games then you could ever win racing. There's 15 or 20 more cars that have UNLIMITED funds.

Exactly. Ryan was beating the same guys with old equipment out of a one stall garage down the street and if you want to argue on it then so be it. I remember stripping shocks and parts from my car for him to run with. One motor, one car (2003 Skyrocket).