PDA

View Full Version : Sprint car shocks on late model

A ron
02-19-2015, 06:39 AM
Would this be worth trying? I found 7 afco 16 series shocks that look new very cheap and the valving numbers seem similar to those on a late model. Everything I can find on them suggests they are sprint car shocks (owner has no idea). I'm new and just trying to get seat time this year but want to get some spares. I posted this question in the crate forum but didn't get much response.

SLM98
02-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Dont think Id try it. Sprint car shocks are valved completely different than late model shocks

Matt49
02-19-2015, 11:57 AM
The 16 series shocks (like just about any shock designed for sprint cars) has a much smaller diameter body and therefore smaller diameter piston. A 5 valve in a sprint car shock is WAY softer than a 5 valve in a late model shock. The numbers are just numbers. They don't mean anything other than that for any given shock a smaller number is softer than a higher number. From one brand to the next and from one "series" (like with Afco 16s versus 13s) the numbers cannot even be compared.
Plus the coil-over kit for a 16 series only accepts 1-7/8" springs. Late models don't run springs this small.

Bottom line is that there are a lot of reasons why you should really just not try this.

A ron
02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
That's what I needed Matt and SLM. Thanks guys.

LM14
02-19-2015, 03:27 PM
I have worked with sprints and late models. The sprint shocks use a different "curve" on the valving when dynoed. Sprint shocks are very soft at the beginning of the curve because they are dealing with much less weight to get the shock to start moving. Picture a "5" shock that acts like a "2" for the first portion of the curve.

That is one reason Pro shocks are a favorite of sprint drivers, they are a bit softer than other brands with similar numbers.

SPark

A ron
02-19-2015, 04:04 PM
I was just curious. There were 4 9 inch shocks and 3 6 inch shocks all with coilover kits and springs all for 200 bucks. They look brand new. Knew it probably wouldn't work but for that price I couldn't resist asking you guys.