PDA

View Full Version : Head and neck restraint

modracer255
02-27-2015, 01:53 PM
How makes the best and most comfortable head and neck restraint?

BWRC_6M
02-27-2015, 03:03 PM
i didnt want to wear one cause i was worried about comfort I tried the Hans and didnt like it at all then I tried Simpson Hybrid pro and found it to be very comfortable wilth my ultrashield halo now i cant race without it

Punisher88
02-27-2015, 03:52 PM
I just bought the simpson hybrid amd look forward to trying it out next weekend.

Matt49
02-27-2015, 04:14 PM
I've been looking at the NexGen. Very compact and price is right. Curious if anybody has a review on that one.

stock car driver
02-27-2015, 04:57 PM
I tried hans. then necksgen and I like it, I leave it on my helmet all the time.

Id tell you I sell them for $550 shipped but I know that irritates you matt49.

dirtslinger4
02-27-2015, 06:46 PM
I've been looking at the NexGen. Very compact and price is right. Curious if anybody has a review on that one.

I have used nexgen for the past 2 years. Very comfortable to me and I use it with the simpson super shark helmet. Wouldn't get in a car without it!!!

Cody Thomason
02-27-2015, 09:44 PM
I have a Hans and love it just make sure your belts are over the lip every time u go out and keep them tight.

DRTRCR22
03-04-2015, 08:13 PM
I bought a NecksGen a couple years ago, to fit with my Impact Super Charger Top Draft blower helmet, because my foam neck donut wouldn't fit under the new helmet. I won't say this is not a good hans device, but I wish it had a chest strap so it would not slide around back away from your neck while you are trying to get strapped in. Also, the instructions for placement of the helmet anchors was WAY wrong, and I had to get a friend move, hold and mark so I could redrill my helmet moving upwards twice now to take the slack out of tethers, not something I wanted to do to my new $600 helmet. Maybe its because I have a short fat neck, but I highly recommend yuo have a friend hold the mounting achors to where you like them, fairly snug with just enough movement, then have him mark the spots before drilling your high dollar helmet. Being compact, it is easy to get into and out of the car with helmet and all attached, but kind of a pain getting the NecksGen slid back down onto the right spot of your chest and shoulders under the back of the helmet, so the belts hold it down right. If there was some kind of chest strap holding the chest bars down to your body this would be perfect... and I am thinking about trying to fabricate some kind of strap to keep it from flopping around so much while you are trying to get everything all cinched down in place. If I could afford it I would really like to try that new Simpson Pro that is receiving so many high reviews lately...???

lrnvlFan1w
03-04-2015, 08:50 PM
I don't have any experience to have an input on this as I don't race just help but it's been a hot topic this off season for us. Here are some links i found that go over the Neckgen and Simpson Hybrid.

http://youtu.be/nNqnpxaFUDk

http://youtu.be/_RDWunjZypA

FlatTire
03-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Stock Car- How do you sell them for so cheap? Doesn't your contract say you are required to sell at 599?

keeks
03-05-2015, 12:33 PM
I have the Necksgen and had the same concerns about anchor placement. My solution is to strap in with the NG further back towards the seat, it nestles in real nice against the seat. This tightens up the straps.

Keep in mind, I mounted my anchors in the Hans spot that was pre drilled.

Professor HANS
03-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Regarding installing helmet anchors for a head restraint - a poster talks about having a friend "hold the mounting achors to where you like them, fairly snug with just enough movement". I'm sorry but this is very bad advice and makes no sense at all. Safety manufacturerers, sanctioning bodies and test houses work together to make these standards, which include very accurate anchor location information. Impacts are violent, instantaneous high energy events. How fast? An eye blink takes 400 milliseconds but a race track impact takes only 100 ms. You cannot tell how snug your tethers/anchors should be while sitting in your car. As an example see attached photo showing how the HANS Device moves rearward and takes up tether slack during an impact. MIS-MOUNTING THE ANCHORS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY IN AN IMPACT. FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS DIRECTIONS. Please feel free to contact me for more information. Thank you for the opportunity of posting in this forum. Gary Milgrom VP, HANS Performance gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com

Brian Gray
03-05-2015, 03:25 PM
the rev has been discontinued . map pricing no longer applies.

i suggest getting a hans. or r3 you will get used to it. dont forget about the importance of your seat. a real full containment seat is a must.

Matt49
03-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Brian,
Could you elaborate on your statement about the REV being discontinued. They are still order-able on NecksGen's website.

Thanks,
Matt

Brian Gray
03-05-2015, 08:23 PM
I went to order one for a customer last week. In my distribution software it says "discontinued , no longer available from supplier"

My understanding is mastercraft won't be making anymore of them or they are coming out with something new.

DRTRCR22
03-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Professor HANS, I don't know the instructions for a HANS or Simpson Hybrid Pro, but I can tell you for a fact that when I was buckled in my seat tight, and thrust my head forward simulating a head on crash, I could slam my chin on my chest and still had slack in the tethers where NecksGen said to place the mounts. Having already suffered a head on wall crash with cranial stem concussion like what killed Dale Sr., I know for a fact I was not comfortable with these tethers not tightening up when I threw my head forward simulating a front head on crash. My new mounting positions allow me about 45* side to side movement but stop my head thrust just short of pulling my spinal cord in two... sorry, but I am leaving it where I trust it, because where they said to put it does not fit ALL necks short, medium and long. If you say I'm dead wrong, my only other option is to throw it in the trailer and take my chances going to see Dale Sr. before you do...

stock car driver
03-22-2015, 09:25 PM
I bought a NecksGen a couple years ago, to fit with my Impact Super Charger Top Draft blower helmet, because my foam neck donut wouldn't fit under the new helmet. I won't say this is not a good hans device, but I wish it had a chest strap so it would not slide around back away from your neck while you are trying to get strapped in. Also, the instructions for placement of the helmet anchors was WAY wrong, and I had to get a friend move, hold and mark so I could redrill my helmet moving upwards twice now to take the slack out of tethers, not something I wanted to do to my new $600 helmet. Maybe its because I have a short fat neck, but I highly recommend yuo have a friend hold the mounting achors to where you like them, fairly snug with just enough movement, then have him mark the spots before drilling your high dollar helmet. Being compact, it is easy to get into and out of the car with helmet and all attached, but kind of a pain getting the NecksGen slid back down onto the right spot of your chest and shoulders under the back of the helmet, so the belts hold it down right. If there was some kind of chest strap holding the chest bars down to your body this would be perfect... and I am thinking about trying to fabricate some kind of strap to keep it from flopping around so much while you are trying to get everything all cinched down in place. If I could afford it I would really like to try that new Simpson Pro that is receiving so many high reviews lately...???

I don't know what makes you think you need the straps tight. Ive got two helmets and both work fine with the necksgen and the holes were pre drilled by simpson and impact. the tethers are loose while in the car, I can put my neck forward and head and feel them tighten by basically pushing my chin forward.. its not supposed to be tight just sitting in your car.

Ive never remotely had a issue getting mine positioned, that makes no sense at all to me what your talking about. I leave mine on my helmet and put my helmet on and belts over it and its perfect every time.

stock car driver
03-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Stock Car- How do you sell them for so cheap? Doesn't your contract say you are required to sell at 599?

There is no MAP pricing on necksgen.

And Im not a greedy person, I don't need to make 150 plus profit per sale.........

merc123
03-24-2015, 07:03 AM
I prefer this one the best. You can put it on when you're in the car and by yourself if you have the new tether system. The old d-ring style was more difficult to put on by yourself but the new system is easier. My theory is there has to be something good/better about it if your competitor buys you out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5ZJGVU/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00E5ZJGVU&linkCode=as2&tag=lawsraci-20&linkId=IPHOM4ZFRBXZMQMV