PDA

View Full Version : A few more ridiculous questions from a newbie

BigNilla
03-01-2015, 02:08 PM
I am perfectly aware that nothing is cheap. But with that being said here is my situation.I have a 2005 Rayburn Combo car Chassis only that needs some very minor work which I could probably do myself. (one rear tube gusset about 5-6 inches in length has a split). What are my options here? Should I fix that and have the front end updated to wide front and and possibly rear 4 bar mounts to have more angle options? Purchase front and rear suspension components for the car (not sure what all is interchangeable on Rayburn)or if any other manufacturers front upper/lower control arms and spindles will work. Or do I fix what is broken and leave the rest alone and build it as is? Again I don't know what is interchangeable. Or would it be more cost effective to purchase a used roller that is more complete. Trying to save a bit of money to get myself on the track quicker. This will be my first experience in a late model. I do have quite a bit of knowledge as far as how to put it all together although I would be lost on setup. Any information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hpmaster
03-01-2015, 02:48 PM
I am perfectly aware that nothing is cheap. But with that being said here is my situation.I have a 2005 Rayburn Combo car Chassis only that needs some very minor work which I could probably do myself. (one rear tube gusset about 5-6 inches in length has a split). What are my options here? Should I fix that and have the front end updated to wide front and and possibly rear 4 bar mounts to have more angle options? Purchase front and rear suspension components for the car (not sure what all is interchangeable on Rayburn)or if any other manufacturers front upper/lower control arms and spindles will work. Or do I fix what is broken and leave the rest alone and build it as is? Again I don't know what is interchangeable. Or would it be more cost effective to purchase a used roller that is more complete. Trying to save a bit of money to get myself on the track quicker. This will be my first experience in a late model. I do have quite a bit of knowledge as far as how to put it all together although I would be lost on setup. Any information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fix whats broke and run it.

BigNilla
03-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Any idea on suspension components that would match up and or work or do I need Rayburn specific?

zerolm
03-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Do yourself a favor and just find a complete roller you can afford. You can spend a LOT of money piecing a car together, even buying used parts. There are a lot of decent rollers put there very cheap these days. I guarantee you will save quite a bit of time and money, and very likely end up with a much more competitive piece especially if the roller you buy has the components on it that the manufacturer called for when it was new.. Good luck.

BigNilla
03-01-2015, 03:13 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking still open to more suggestions though

rakracing
03-01-2015, 05:39 PM
im with zerolm, I would search around for a cheap roller, the more stuff hanging on it the better, ps lines, pump, trans, fuel lines.cables and as many spares as you can get. the little stuff will drive ya crazy, for 2500 to 4000 you can get a older roller that will be better than what ya have and it might even see the track in the future

Brian Gray
03-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Here's my 2 cents. Put together what you have available. Make sure it's safe first off. Get the steering , braking and drive train in check. Put all this geometry out of your mind , spindles and bars and all the other stuff. Learn to drive and keep it out of trouble. All the you need this and that specific mean very little when your learning.

It's nice to have all the luxuries of seasoned teams but that is going to help very little until you get some seat time, run it into the wall a few times and cause some damage. Tear up the stuff your not gonna use first. It will save you in the long run from buying the specific components twice.

Trust me your gonna have some bumps and bruises in the beginning .

dirtrace09
03-01-2015, 06:58 PM
I would also suggest finding a roller that is affordable for you. Find one that is a brand name and that the previous owner will offer you a few setup notes or suggestions. Late models (even in a limited class) require a rather steep learning curve and help is needed. Don't lose your dream of running a late model. Just start with a base that will allow you to learn and grow in the class as your finances allow. Otherwise, it can be a long painful process that ends in frustration and a lot of wasted money. Just my opinion and trying to help you.

Brian Gray
03-01-2015, 07:03 PM
There are cars out there doing very well with mismatched and even chopped up components. Put it together with what you can afford and get the basics setup . Caster , camber, toe. Get the rear end squared up and neutral put some basic springs and shocks on it.

Get the car to the point you won't be concerned about a wreck. Prepped up so it will steer and stop well. Then make sure your not going to have issues. Weather it be running issues , electrical, mechanical. Make sure it all works and works reliably so you can spend time on the track driving vs sitting in the pits working on it.

Brian Gray
03-01-2015, 07:08 PM
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got.

The only thing the race car knows is what happens where the tire meets the race track and those tires don't know nor care what spring, caliper, spindle , chassis, driver or shock is on it!

BigNilla
03-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Let's for instance say I were to run this chassis. Would I need Rayburn specific parts or are they interchangeable? I figure rocket spindles won't work with say mastersbilt arms (maybe I'm wrong) just looking for options. I could have bought all the front suspension that came off this chassis a while back but it is now sold. Another option I was considering is repairing and re powdercoating it and throwing it up for sale. For what I paid for this I'm sure to profit a little bit. The chassis was basically free. It looks to be in fairly good shape.

Brian Gray
03-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Most parts are interchangeable as far as bolting on. Just need to pay attention to the lengths of things. The spindles all vary some but for the most part you can run rocket, masters and warrior spindles on a Rayburn, rocket or nearly any car out there.

BigNilla
03-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Gotcha Brian that's what I was kinda curious about. What will physically bolt on lol

rakracing
03-01-2015, 10:03 PM
my advise was based on you having nothing but a chassis, I've raced a long time on flee market and ebay parts and finding all the components you need to finish could take awhile, seen a lot of guys start with a chassis and never see the track you can always keep the frame for a back up you'll probably need it.

BigNilla
03-02-2015, 06:58 AM
The insight into this from all you guys is much appreciated. After researching the chassis a lot of people claim that a Rayburn and a Blue front Rocket are very similar in the front. I'm not trying to duplicate a Rocket rear by any means but does anyone know of any changes I could make to the rear that may be beneficial? A few thoughts that crossed my mind were maybe changing 4 bar mounts to some updated ones such as the ones that A&A sells to allow for more adjustment. I understand at this point that's the last of what I need to be concerned about but being that it is ina bare state now and iI'm going to be doing some welding on it anyway now would be the time to do it.

hpmaster
03-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Is a Rayburn like a Rocket, pretty much but do not worry about that get a list of Rayburn parts you need to get the chassis up on wheels and start talking to racers in your area. Swap meets and even 4M can get you most parts. I am sure most of what you need is laying in the corner of some guys garage that you can buy for little. Don't worry about updating a 10 year old chassis, if you want a better chassis go get a newer one.

BigNilla
03-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Good Points hp!!!

TheJet-09
03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Some of the most fun I've had in racing has come in cars that were a hodge-podge of parts. I've only bought a few rollers in my time, but I always take them completely apart anyway...to familiarize myself with everything as best as possible, but more so to make sure it's how I want it to be. Even things as simple as wanting a bolt to go "this" way as opposed to "that" way. And as others have mentioned and I believe, a 10" control arm is a 10" control arm. You can buy a $20 used one (as long as the shaft isn't bent) or spend $120 on a fancy one with heim ends. If your goal is to just get out there and learn how things work, I'd go the route of finding parts for what you have. Less chance of inheriting somebody elses problems that way. Good luck either way!

BigNilla
03-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks Jet!!!

donkypunch4u
03-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Tom Filkins in West Frankfort Il deals in a lot of used rayburn parts. He usually has anything from parts to rollers at decent prices. Also a good guy to deal with not a scammer. He usually has stuff listed on 4m but cant remember his screen name. Look him up on facebook under Lisa N Tom Filkins. Good luck!

BigNilla
03-05-2015, 03:10 AM
Thank you donkypunch4u I will look into that.

BMR
03-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Call Rayburn. He usually has tons of used parts laying around. He can also put you on track with what parts fit his car best. If you can see past all his b/s; but hey, that's CJ! Lol. I'd keep it on swing arm as well.

rakracing
03-10-2015, 08:05 PM
bignilla not for nothing but theres a 06 warrior posted above, there a lot like rayburns, complete roller you'll have way less in that then what you have till its done, done this along time trying to help get ya going and save ya some money