PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump belt question

Wheelman33
03-10-2015, 08:03 PM
I think I know the answer, but does the belt length matter on a rear mount oil pump? Have a Peterson r4 and I can't get a 600 belt to work. Too tight! I have a 632 belt here also. Should be fine....right?

grt74
03-10-2015, 10:06 PM
most are a 600 or a 640,,and don't over tighten the belt,I've seen it to many times,especially on the htd belt(it has 75%more engagement)you'll run the htd almost loose(to most people that wouldn't know any better they would think its loose)

hucktyson
03-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Use what ever length is required to install with the correct tension. Make (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) sure that the pump is bolted tight and square to the bell housing. I had a guy tension the belt with the tensioner before the bolts were tight which resulted in the pump not tightening up flush and losing the belt at 8000rpm which cost about 8000 to fix ... The belts stretch after you run them also and after losing a belt like that and having a correctly tensioned belt break in the line up area I will only tighten a belt 1 additional time after the first install before I replace it.