PDA

View Full Version : PRP under water

swarner69
03-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Saw this on twitter today. Thought i would share. I don't think they will be racing for awhile.

GEAR_HEAD
03-15-2015, 06:00 PM
That happens every year. That is why their schedule starts in May.

drtrkr244
03-15-2015, 07:04 PM
According to Google maps, those billboards are at the top of the back straightaway grandstands. So how deep is that water?

Clayton_Wetter
03-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Looks like the water has covered the entire grandstand! The stands are right on the other side of those two buildings.

Alex#242
03-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Yeah this isn't nothing to worry about they are under water every year like gear head said that's why they start so much later than other tracks

zyoung25
03-15-2015, 07:30 PM
According to Google maps, those billboards are at the top of the back straightaway grandstands. So how deep is that water?

I don't get the same local news channels as Portsmouth does. They normally call anything over 52' flood stage for the river. The last I seen for around here the river was at 57', not sure what it's at now. I'm about an hour west of the race track.

drtrkr244
03-15-2015, 07:38 PM
I don't get the same local news channels as Portsmouth does. They normally call anything over 52' flood stage for the river. The last I seen for around here the river was at 57', not sure what it's at now. I'm about an hour west of the race track.

Thanks zy25, does that water drain off naturally, or is there some kind of levy system that is used?

grumfan
03-15-2015, 07:45 PM
That's the Ohio River. The corp of engineers controls the flow of the river.

racingfool32
03-15-2015, 08:45 PM
If I remember right the bridge in the background rigs go under to get back on the freeway.

71PRPFan
03-15-2015, 09:51 PM
as many know pro is at the junction of the scioto river and ohio, so we get all the water from up north too. no worries, it will go down by may like it always does. the entire river valley is under water. the big river is touching the flood wall portsmouth

zyoung25
03-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks zy25, does that water drain off naturally, or is there some kind of levy system that is used?

They got 3 or 4 dams that control the water levels, closest one to Portsmouth is in Higginsport Ohio, which a good hour and a half west. Like said in another post, when it rains just as much up stream, it always floods in the area.

I can't ever remember a winter or spring passing by and not seeing Prp not being under water at some point. We haven't had what you could call a bad flood since 1997. Most of southern Ohio and northern Kentucky was declared a natural disaster area, it was bad.

Madcat
03-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Our seats for the DTWC are the ones directly next(right of) to the concession stand(left building) top row. Believe row 18? Figure 2 feet between rows, I would bet that water is at least 35 feet high probably higher by quite a bit.

Radio said today water is 6 feet over flood level, so it's way up but as stated it happens every spring, nothing new. I would love to see it someday though as is this time of year. Just be cool to really see what its like when flooded vs when the motors are running.

Cardirt0
03-16-2015, 10:40 AM

The billboards in pic are on top of the wall in the back straight.. so center of track water is 15 to 18 deep center of track.. seen a pic of the track were water was been center of billboards.. so this is no were close that the track has been under water...
Was there one year last race of year, and they had a moving truck there ask someone that worked there why, he said they move all the stoves and coolers and things out cause they get water in spring ever year.. they move all the the things they can cause every 3 or 4 years it gets deep enough to get bad...Thats why all the food and towers are on top of a mound....
http://www.kylakespeedway.com/photos/
go to there web site you can get a east /west view of the north/south pic with water
If you look at the concession stand the air con. is on the roof the highest the waters been is just under the air con. there is a reason the air con. is on the roof.....

Cardirt0
03-16-2015, 11:04 AM
I say its 4 or 5 feet higher then most years....

Thompy_04
03-16-2015, 02:12 PM
57' is what the guage read Sunday at crest, it hasn't been this high in 18 years and that was the '97 flood that's second only to the great flood of '37. That water at the track is a good 20' or better over the racing surface. There is Greenup dam about 10 miles east of P-Town but I'd say every dam is full open to drain all this water. It'll be awhile before we go racing down there, but as always, the Colemans will have everything ready opening night weather permitting!

Barbecueboy
03-16-2015, 02:21 PM
I'll bet with all that river silt left behind from the flooding that you can grow some wicked amounts of good garden veggies and fruits in that region........

drtrkr244
03-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Who woulda thunk it!...One month you fish on it, the next month, you Race on it! Only in 'Merica!

Cardirt0
03-16-2015, 05:43 PM
The good thing is its not a moving water so it don't eat things up.. just flows in and then flows out.. I thought it looks 5 or more feet high then most years.. but its been Higher then it is now....

Barbecueboy
03-16-2015, 06:33 PM
The good thing is its not a moving water so it don't eat things up.. just flows in and then flows out.. I thought it looks 5 or more feet high then most years.. but its been Higher then it is now....

Never thought about it that way, but a very good point..........

Where we are , when things get flooded it's normally by storm surge or fast moving river water, and it tears a lot of stuff up..........good post cardirto.

The pictures look devastating, but when you say it like you did, makes sense that they can open back up quickly.

muddy_mike
03-16-2015, 07:15 PM
I see they have the Swamp Cooler mounted of the roof for a reason..lol

zyoung25
03-16-2015, 07:48 PM
57' is what the guage read Sunday at crest, it hasn't been this high in 18 years and that was the '97 flood that's second only to the great flood of '37. That water at the track is a good 20' or better over the racing surface. There is Greenup dam about 10 miles east of P-Town but I'd say every dam is full open to drain all this water. It'll be awhile before we go racing down there, but as always, the Colemans will have everything ready opening night weather permitting!

I actually forgot about the Greenup dam...somehow haha. I remember a couple years ago it was under water, and 2 weeks later they were racing. For us from the area it's nothing new no doubt.

Southern Ohio Racer
03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
One year the track went under multiple times, the first race of the year was a sprint speedweek race. And that was in late June or early July!