PDA

View Full Version : Advice for setting up a metric car.

Stvnjhnsn2627
03-19-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm building my first metric car and I'm needing advice where to start with the setup. I come from the leaf spring nova/Camaro cars so coil spring is all new to me. From reading other threads on here I've found that I would start with 900-1000 in the front springs but at what height? In the rear I found I would start with 225-175 but also at what hight? Do I need that big of a split in the rear? Does the height of the spring make that big of a difference in the rear? What caster and camber would we start with? Shocks I'm told that I should run are the bilstein street stock package. At the track where I'm running at we can run lead for weight, no screw jacks, 3200lbs on street tires.

save the racers
03-21-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm not a metric guy ,but here is some stuff that might help.Camber -3.5 r/f +1.5 l/f, caster +4 r/f ,+3l/f.Bilstien shocks are a good starting point.I would put the large Chrysler (772 moog i think) ball joint in the low a arms , then set the lower a arm level and use this as my front ride hieght.If you are going from a 8'' spring to a 10'' there is not any difference but if you are going from a 8'' to a 20'' the spring will bow some and act like it is softer.

save the racers
03-21-2015, 06:07 PM
772 is the upper screw in ,727 is the lower screw in

Fox_hunter42
03-24-2015, 05:16 PM
I agree with everything listed above except the l.f. caster. I would run + 1.5. Spring rates are close depending on track. Maybe an 1100 on rf. Spring height depends on frame heights. As described above, set the lower front a frames()control arms) level, use whatever spring length makes that happen. I used shorter springs and hid shims on top of spring to make adjustments.