PDA

View Full Version : RIP Earl

amalone09
03-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Just read on twitter Earl has passed away this morning at 6:45. The dirt racing world jut lost an amazing man! I will always remember our first encounter with him. My dad and I were out in a bean field looking for his mile track. (we did see the lay out of it) All of a sudden a car slowly comes down the road. My dad goes, "we better get out of here it's probably some old mad farmer." Well, it was old man Earl! He proceeded to invite us up to his barn. He showed us around and told us many stories about war and nascar. We ended up hanging out with him for close to two hours. The sites were incredible and stories were better. It was an honor to meet Earl and just be in his presence.
RIP Earl Baltes!

cutman
03-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Sad day. Eldora and earl are a big part of what got me hooked as young one, Godspeed Earl

zyoung25
03-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Very sad news....huge loss to the racing world, as he was a racing god. There will never be another racing promoter like Earl Baltes....ever. I remember asking him several times over the years if he ever broke even at these races as a kid. He would always reply...."if I could sell one more hit dog I'd break even."He always greeted me with a smile.

It's almost hard for me not to shed a tear over hearing this.

R.I.P Earl Baltes.

Tony should have another million dollar race in his honor imo.

BadgerDirt01
03-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Godspeed Mr Halted.....

EATIN DIRT AT FALS
03-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Never forget the first time I met him. I was walking up to the track and he stopped me and ask me for directions to Eldora Speedway we had a pretty laugh. R.I.P. Earl at least I know there will be a heck of a track in heaven when I get there.

plunks7
03-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Very sad day indeed!! Prayers go out to Family and Friends.

Spongebob
03-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Deepest sympathies to Berniece

SWITCH 625
03-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Very sad news, Eldora is the house that Earl built and it won't quite be the same without him. Godspeed Mr. Baltes.

SFrancisFan15
03-23-2015, 08:54 AM
R.I.P to the best Dirt Racing promoter to ever live!

TS FAN
03-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Goodbye Earl.

buster83
03-23-2015, 09:17 AM
R.I.P Earl one thing for sure u reached a lot of racing fans.

Mudweiser
03-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Sad news indeed.. Godspeed Mr Baltes, and prayers for Berneice and the entire family.. Earl was a true legend and pioneer in our sport...

TheJet-09
03-23-2015, 09:53 AM
As I've claimed of certain drivers is most certainly fitting for Earl...DLM racing would not be what it is today if it were not for him! Think of how many people he attracted to our sport as fans. A great visionary! We owe a great deal of gratitude to him. God bless you and those you leave behind!

Slideways
03-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Rest in Peace Mr. Baltes.

B_K
03-23-2015, 10:05 AM
The words legendary and innovator get thrown around far to much today. Earl Baltes was both. He helped advance the sport we love, and racing on dirt in general as much as anyone I can think of. Godspeed to a true pioneer. His legacy will live on.

Dante Toledo, OH
03-23-2015, 10:07 AM
They have done a great job on the write up on Eldora's website. Usually when a former track owner or promoter dies, they have a moment of silence or maybe even a memorial race or something. I believe Earl is probably the only one that deserves a moment of silence and memorial race at every track. He will missed everywhere.

over4T
03-23-2015, 10:11 AM
I'll always have fond memories of Earl from the late '60s when I ran Eldora in the Sunday shows in one of the support divisions. Never won so much as a heat race and broke a lot of stuff. Earl, on more than one occasion, would slip me $5 for gas to get me back to Indiana where I was working. Went back to California and it was over 20 years till I saw him again and he still remembered me. Never again in all my years in the sport have I seen a promoter his equal. Thanks again Earl. R.I.P.

Captain Happy
03-23-2015, 10:29 AM
This sport was elivated beyond anyone's expectotions by Earl alone. May he rest in peace, and in his memory let this sport be bountiful with the seeds he planted. Racing was lucky to have him. Thank you Earl!

TerryM
03-23-2015, 10:55 AM
The term "GOAT" gets thrown around far too easily these days, but when it comes to dirt track promoting, there's no doubt Earl Baltes was the greatest of all time. My dad took me to Eldora for the first time in 1969 when I was 6 years old. It was my first dirt racing experience and I was hooked for life. At one point I attended 22 straight World 100's and 10 straight Dream 100's, as well as the one and only Earl's Million and several other big shows at the Big E. Not once did I ever leave there having not had a great time -- even the times we got rained out.

There's nothing like coming up the road, peaking that little hill, and seeing that incredible scene up ahead. It still gives me chills all these years later. Whether it's that or the cars pulling on to the track for the first heat race on World 100 Saturday, there's nothing like the Big E and there never will be anything like it for me. And it's all because of the great Earl Baltes. He had big dreams and big plans, and he always followed through with his vision -- even the Million to win race he talked about for years. There will never be another Earl Baltes. I guess he finally sold that last hot dog he needed to sell before moving on. Godspeed Earl and Bernice.

GotDirt1313
03-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Never got the pleasure of meeting Mr. Baltes, wish the opportunity had came, I do know that the world lost a legend, not just the racing world. I 've always wondered why they didn't just call it "EARLDORA" because it should have been, that 's what it will always be to me, R.I.P Mr. Baltes and God speed!!!

fastford
03-23-2015, 11:05 AM
its always sad when someone passes away, considering the person he was, he would probably would want everyone to celebrate the legacy he is leaving behind, which for the dirt racing community was one of the greatest there's been, R.I.P. Mr. Baltes.

TDRacinŽ
03-23-2015, 11:35 AM
A very sad day in motorsports. He was a hero of mine who was one of the hardest working people I have ever met. He always had time for me or my son whenever out paths crossed.

miso_ohio
03-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Sad day for the racing community everywhere, my condolences to his friends and family.

Just about everybody who has been to Eldora can tell a story or two about him, he will be greatly missed.

mantooth
03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Best quote ever " If I could sell one more hotdog I might break even-Earl Baltes" RIP Earl

racer67x
03-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Rip...........

golddirt
03-23-2015, 01:07 PM
A good man has been called home thanks for all you have done for dirt racing, earl r.i.p.

buster83
03-23-2015, 01:09 PM
we at a winged sprint car race it came a down pour and we went to the big barn Earl was there and he told us don`t worry we will get this race in,hell i was ready to go home the rain finally let up they packed the track they got the sprint cars on the track and ran everything, it was 4:30am when got home. that was Earl thing to complete the program if at all possible.

25 Jay 53
03-23-2015, 01:38 PM
RIP Earl. I am fortunate enough to have got to see the Million and 4 World 100's under his leadership, greatest promoter of all time. If there was a mount Rushmore for dirt racing he would be on it.

HoosierDirtFan
03-23-2015, 01:40 PM
RIP Earl Baltes. You gave the dirt racing community and family and great racing facility thee hallowed ground of Eldora Speedway in west central Ohio on Route 118 where you could take your family and watch drivers do battle at high speeds. You gave us so much with hard work and sweat you cut a 1/2 mile of speed out of a field, Many a great names have circled the facility, names that include Kinser, Rayburn, Swindell, Bloomquist, Moyer, Wolfgang, Hewitt, T. Stewart, Pervis, Boggs, Moore, Haudenschild, and many more. You put on races that other tracks where maybe afraid to try and some of those turned into huge yearly traditions including the Kings Royal, Dirt Late Model Dream, World 100, and some 1 time happenings like the Eldora Million, Mopar Million, & Historical Big One. The facility is in many ways like no other with a great family atmosphere where you can see folks wearing there favorite drivers and race tracks t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, souvenir flags, race DVD's, with 5 separate camping grounds that surround the track and are usually filled to capacity during the BIG races each year. I doubt we races fans will ever see anyone quite like you in the rest of our life times. For giving people like my self a dirt racing facility I can enjoy for many years to come. For all that and more stated above I say thank you sir. You will be missed by the many who flock to ELDORA each year to watch those races you made so famous and enjoyed by the masses.

ALSO TO remind others here on 4M.net and the many race fans - Earl was a WWII veteran <> So from some one who can appreciate the U.S. Armed Forces for what they do to keep folks like my self FREE I say Thank you for your dedication & service to this country.

I hope Tony Stewart and staff at the Eldora Speedway would create a race in Earls memory not just the Baltes classic. A truly HUGE race that Earl was known for putting on.

God Speed Earl Baltes (93) 1921-2015

Captain Happy
03-23-2015, 02:20 PM
Make The Baltes Classic into something the caliber of the Dream and World but bigger!!$$!!

MUD MAESTRO
03-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Earl had a vision.....followed through with it and just look at the incredible things he gave back to fans and drivers alike. RIP Mr Baltes, you left a legacy in the sport few people can match.

TackyTracker
03-23-2015, 04:55 PM
pretty sure there will and should be a EARL memorial race with big money attached.... Earl was great and probably the last promoter to come along like him

nlhenry55
03-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Rest in peace Mr Baltes, Atrue legend in our sport of dirt track racing. Our thoughts & prayers go out to the family.

Highside Hustler25
03-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Thank You Earl Baltes. RIP

caz15b
03-23-2015, 05:41 PM
i was able to be lucky to have been at Earls last raced as he was still the track owner and after all the races were over, all the race haulers gone and fans i was able to to sit at the bar and there was just a handful there...some of the track workers was there but the only one that was talking was Earl and we sit there for about 2 hrs just listening to his stories and the budweiser were on the house. I still have the budweiser can in my case sitting right beside Earls bobble head. R.I.P. Earl and thanks for the memories.

Senroc-Systems
03-23-2015, 05:45 PM
This is a truly sad day. I was wearing an old Snap-On hat when I heard the news. I took it off, bent the brim up and it will now be worn that way every time I attend Eldora Speedway!
Rest in Peace Earl!

Nasty55
03-23-2015, 05:49 PM
R.I.P God speed Mr Baltes

george w
03-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Thank you Earl !

HoosierDirtFan
03-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks a million for the memories.

MILLER7FAN
03-23-2015, 06:24 PM
We have many memories of Earl. One that I would like share is of the many late, late nights that he would be out working on the track to give all the best racing possible. THANKS EARL, RIP

lazyifoto
03-23-2015, 07:03 PM
They ought to do a fun fest type of deal to celebrate the life of Earl and the track he gave us....rest in peace Earl.

ride height
03-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Earl was obviously the king of dirt racing promotion. Sympathies to the family. Surely there will be a Earl Baltes named race of some kind yearly at Eldora honoring him.

dirtrcing
03-23-2015, 07:44 PM
The Earl Baltes World 100. That is the race that started it all.

ride height
03-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Just like the Wally for the NHRA winners....they need to make bronze Earls for the winner of the annual Earl Baltes World 100.

amalone09
03-23-2015, 08:15 PM
I believe they already have the Baltes Classic the weekend before the World 100. They need to rename that and create a whole different program dedicated to Earl. JMO

dirtrcing
03-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Just like the Wally for the NHRA winners....they need to make bronze Earls for the winner of the annual Earl Baltes World 100.

With Earl holding the globe above his head

lokwaidid
03-24-2015, 06:57 AM
a fun fest kind of event I think would be the best tribute. Eldora raced all classes of cars and they should all be involved in any kind of memorial race. they have something in oct. , but it is usually cold and gets canceled. they could move it up to late September and make a fun memory of earl. I've been going to eldora for almost 40 years and every race has a good memory. rip earl

edavis71
03-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Very sad news. RIP Mr. Baltes, a man that will definitely never ever be forgotten in the world of dirt racing.

TONY STEWART, you must have a huge race in his honor!!!

CrankedUp90
03-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Rest easy Earl. Thank you for everything you did for the dirt racing world. Will never be another like you. Nothing like the World 100 weekend. So many memories and good times had out there. And the many friendships created, all thanks to him. You will never be forgotten..

chupp n bloomer fan
03-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Where do you start? I mean, he was the man who set the bar for dirt track promotors. I don't have any really cool stories. Yeah, I seen him around, and have I think it's his book signed. We knew his days were numbered, but it's still a shock.

Once someone leaves this Earth is when you see if they really mattered. To those of us who love dirt track racing, Earl will always have a place in our hearts. I'll always miss him at The Big E. Hopefully they do something to really memorialize him.'

I'd honestly rename the World 100. That was his brainchild and baby, it would be the most fitting.

I can't forget, hopefully Berneice can pull through and enjoy life again. They were married for over sixty years.

zyoung25
03-24-2015, 08:58 PM

I think a smaller replica of the one him and Bernice together up by the race tower would be a good addition to the globe trophies.

I'm sure tony has something up his sleeve he cared for Earl just as much as the rest of us did.

Highside Hustler25
03-25-2015, 04:59 AM
Their is a good video over at DoD with Bloomer, Moyer, Moran, Purvis and Larry Moore telling their favorite stories about Earl.

You don't have to be a member to view this one. Enjoy.

TTS_JF
03-25-2015, 08:46 AM
After the Dream several years back we were old enough to know better but still to young to care. It had rained 2 of the 3 days we were there, can't remember for sure we might have ended up staying an extra day. The race ends that night and our campsite turned into a free for all, basically a boatload of people drinking, beer pong etc. Were awoke the next morning to a couple of guys basically knocking on the sides of our tents. We come out in a hungover stupor and it's Earl and one of the track officials. He said it looked like we had a really good time, and proceeded to tell us we had 15-20 minutes to get the mess picked up or the law would be there to see us.

One of the guys with us didn't have a clue who the old man with the bent bill on his hat was. We cleaned that mess up really quick. He came back by the campsite and told us he hoped we had fun and looked forward to seeing us again. Earl was just no nonsense, and he treated everyone the same. I liked that about him. We spoke several times after that experience, but I'll never forget it.

RIP Earl

Captain Happy
03-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Earl didn't take noshT from nobody! It was his way or the highway, and he gave you a choice:D. He was tough, but fair. Drivers learned to respect that, and love him for that. He was and always will be the Godfather of Eldora!!!

buster83
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
his pride and joy was the sprint cars running around that track.however he did like the late models so in 1971 he created the world 100 it paid 4k and that was a lot of money back then,and every year after it was to raise 1k.