PDA

View Full Version : Florence Spring 50 Postponed. Will run on April 4th as part of the OMG Spring Nation

RTW
03-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Florence has postponed the Spring 50 that was due to run on Saturday 3/28. It will now be run as part of the OMG Spring Nationals on April 4th.

DestinyUnbound
03-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Are you kidding me? Why??? due to weather??? I will never go back to Florence ever again. Don't they care about my feelings? I really wanted to go this weekend and now you say I can't because of weather? What a joke I'll never go back. If they're not going to care about the fans and take control of the weather then I'm not going back

W2Racing09
03-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Are you kidding me? Why??? due to weather??? I will never go back to Florence ever again. Don't they care about my feelings? I really wanted to go this weekend and now you say I can't because of weather? What a joke I'll never go back. If they're not going to care about the fans and take control of the weather then I'm not going back

Excellent, didn't realize you were joking until the second sentence. 10/10

aflack83
03-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Same day as the Final Four Games... SMH

MadDad Racing
03-24-2015, 07:39 PM

Depending on weather conditions on race day I can GUARANTEE you that a B'Ball game isn't a factor of me attending this race... No offence just sayin'..

LMPunk
03-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Florence had a race scheduled for 4/4 anyway.

aflack83
03-25-2015, 02:35 AM
Yea but I dont miss the Spring 50. And I don't miss a UK game. Going to be a tough decision for me. If UK is still in.

Sling Some Dirt
03-25-2015, 02:57 AM
If the Wildcats are in Indy, I know where I'll be.

Highside Hustler25
03-25-2015, 06:15 AM

Love it:)absolute excellent post for some to read.

WVRACEFAN
03-25-2015, 06:47 AM
You Kentucky fans can rest easy, WVU will end theyre season Thursday night.

zyoung25
03-25-2015, 07:29 AM

I think WV will definitely give them a big big test. Huggs is probably one of the most underrated coaches out there. He always has a good team, regardless of how many high recruits they have. A couple things that's always been consistent about his teams, great D and very gritty, even back to his UC days. If WV can control the pace, UK will be in trouble I feel like.

pink floyd
03-25-2015, 08:14 AM
I think WV will definitely give them a big big test. Huggs is probably one of the most underrated coaches out there. He always has a good team, regardless of how many high recruits they have. A couple things that's always been consistent about his teams, great D and very gritty, even back to his UC days. If WV can control the pace, UK will be in trouble I feel like.
Kentucky by 18, no contest.

SFrancisFan15
03-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Huggins does have a winning record against Calipari.

pink floyd
03-25-2015, 08:42 AM

he does, but calipari has never had a team like this before, and may never again.

SFrancisFan15
03-25-2015, 08:53 AM
2012 His national championship team had I believe 7 First Rd Draft picks they where right up there lose with this team. I do think this is one of the best if not the best college basketball teams I've ever seen.

pink floyd
03-25-2015, 09:14 AM
2012 His national championship team had I believe 7 First Rd Draft picks they where right up there lose with this team. I do think this is one of the best if not the best college basketball teams I've ever seen.

it is for sure, but I'm hearing that next years team may even be better.

Clayton_Wetter
03-25-2015, 11:44 AM

If only that could happen!! I really like the state of Kentucky, but the attitudes of so many fans and the fact that they have cornered the market on talent to the point of never having to rebuild just takes it too far. When you have a pro farm club competing in the NCAA it spoils the concept of fair competition.

It is likely that they will win the championship again and the fans will be crying like stuck hogs at any call that goes against Kentucky and the announcers will praise them and ignore their opponents like they did Wisconsin last year.

Highside Hustler25
03-25-2015, 01:44 PM

:Dfunny how this thread has gone from the Spring 50 to a couple of the biggest slime balls in college basketball.

pink floyd
03-25-2015, 01:45 PM
:Dfunny how this thread has gone from the Spring 50 to a couple of the biggest slime balls in college basketball.

try to be nice hustler.

Highside Hustler25
03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
try to be nice hustler.

No offense to W.V. or Kentucky:)Just sayin, them 2 are a couple of dandys if you know what I mean.

Gary
03-25-2015, 01:49 PM

Florence has races during the Final Four every year. I just take a radio and listen while I watch the racing. I did this last Saturday because my dad wanted to go to the open practice.

pink floyd
03-25-2015, 01:54 PM
No offense to W.V. or Kentucky:)Just sayin, them 2 are a couple of dandys if you know what I mean.

yes, I know what you mean. if it wasn't for being a Kentuckian, I sure wouldn't be a wildcats fan. calipari and the university are involved in things they shouldn't be, i'll just let it go at that.

zyoung25
03-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Kentucky by 18, no contest.

Remember 1991...unlv vs duke no gave duke a chance against a undefeated team...duke won.

I hear WV is bringing in Laettner to sit on the bench :D

pink floyd
03-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Remember 1991...unlv vs duke no gave duke a chance against a undefeated team...duke won.

I hear WV is bringing in Laettner to sit on the bench :D

I remember, but not this year. say it isn't so zyoung!

CIRF
03-26-2015, 12:32 PM
If only that could happen!! I really like the state of Kentucky, but the attitudes of so many fans and the fact that they have cornered the market on talent to the point of never having to rebuild just takes it too far. When you have a pro farm club competing in the NCAA it spoils the concept of fair competition.

It is likely that they will win the championship again and the fans will be crying like stuck hogs at any call that goes against Kentucky and the announcers will praise them and ignore their opponents like they did Wisconsin last year.

I agree with your whole post Clayton!!

I would only add that the NCAA has a history of dealing with UK with kid gloves and doles out slaps on the wrist to UK while coming down like a ton of brick on other programs for the same violations. In some cases UK has been caught doing much worse and was punished much less.

The benefits of being a blue blood program, I reckon!! Even so, it kinda' turns a person's stomach just a little!

CIRF
03-26-2015, 12:38 PM

Tell us how ya' really feel, HH!! LOL!!

However, I doubt you would get an argument from anyone. KU and WVU fans included.

How Cal stays off probation is beyond comprehension!!

buckeyebandit7
03-26-2015, 01:20 PM

However, I doubt you would get an argument from anyone. KU and WVU fans included.

Every big time college program greases the palms of the kids coming in some way or another. Whether it be fake classes like UNC was doing or paying of houses for family or cash in hand or whatever...some are just better at it than others.

As for WVU, after that freshman kid shot his mouth off in an interview yesterday, he has "poked the bear", so to speak. If UK doesn't win by 25, I'll be surprised

WVRACEFAN
03-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Kentucky may end up winning the game, but the comment about Huggins being a slim ball & the citizens in WV not arguing with that is crazy, Coach huggins is loved & adored in the state of WV he takes his teams into the coal mines every to see what real life is really like, and the players respond & play hard because of it. as far as Daxter Miles shooting off at the mouth and predicting a win. its not just talk him & this team believe they are winning and are not one bit worried nor intimidated by Kentucky I can assure. if you all have watched not WVU play this year do yourself a favor & tune in tonight. you will see the toughest basketball team in the nation play wearing gold & blue, win or lose. Kentucky will want no more of the mountaineers.

buckeyebandit7
03-26-2015, 03:25 PM
It wasn't the fact he said they were going to win. That is a good thing to have confidence in your team's ability to win.

What got him in trouble is when proceeded to say that UK doesn't play hard and that they don't play as hard as we do. That's what I meant by "poking the bear". UK didn't need anything to get them ready to play tonight, but that comment poured some gas on an already blazing fire, I'm sure.

CIRF
03-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Every big time college program greases the palms of the kids coming in some way or another. Whether it be fake classes like UNC was doing or paying of houses for family or cash in hand or whatever...some are just better at it than others.

As for WVU, after that freshman kid shot his mouth off in an interview yesterday, he has "poked the bear", so to speak. If UK doesn't win by 25, I'll be surprised
Can't dispute what you're saying at all bb7. All you have to do is look at the B1G 10 conference. What's the 3 toughest schools on athletes academically in the B1G 10? Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana. What 3 schools have the worst football programs and most generally the worst basketball programs (Indiana is the exception in basketball because of their heritage)? Northwestern, Illinois and to a lesser extent, Indiana.

Illinois has tried the cheatin' route in football and basketball and the NCAA has come after them with torches lit and pitchforks in hand, strung 'em up and hung 'em out to dry! That doesn't happen at places like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA and Carolina in basketball or Southern Cal, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan or Notre Dame in football.

That's the big difference I'm talking about.

Kentucky may end up winning the game, but the comment about Huggins being a slim ball & the citizens in WV not arguing with that is crazy, Coach huggins is loved & adored in the state of WV he takes his teams into the coal mines every to see what real life is really like, and the players respond & play hard because of it. as far as Daxter Miles shooting off at the mouth and predicting a win. its not just talk him & this team believe they are winning and are not one bit worried nor intimidated by Kentucky I can assure. if you all have watched not WVU play this year do yourself a favor & tune in tonight. you will see the toughest basketball team in the nation play wearing gold & blue, win or lose. Kentucky will want no more of the mountaineers.
Being loved and adored doesn't automatically exempt anyone from being a slime ball, and field trips to coal mines doesn't either. He!!, Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno were loved and adored (still are by some) but we all know what they were. Not at all inferring that Huggy is a pedophile, or someone who would cover up for one but I think you get what is being said.

zyoung25
03-26-2015, 05:15 PM

I'm sure a lot of us have seen it. The movie blue chips tells a lot about what goes on behind the scenes some of don't really see or think about.

I'm not really what you could call a Duke fan, I can't ever recall them being targeted for allegations of any kind over the years. The fact that Cal has been makes me wonder, he's a great coach no doubt, I just dont see why so many of these high profile recruits want to play there? Yea they have a heritage, but so do a lot of schools.

Highside Hustler25
03-26-2015, 05:26 PM

KU will pay the price after Cal bolts to the NBA. It's a shame innocent players will pay the penalty.

I'm sure a lot of us have seen it. The movie blue chips tells a lot about what goes on behind the scenes some of don't really see or think about.

I'm not really what you could call a Duke fan, I can't ever recall them being targeted for allegations of any kind over the years. The fact that Cal has been makes me wonder, he's a great coach no doubt, I just dont see why so many of these high profile recruits want to play there? Yea they have a heritage, but so do a lot of schools.
He gets those high profile players because of his ties to the pros and his NBA style of play that they say better prepares them for a pro career.

SFrancisFan15
03-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Can't dispute what you're saying at all bb7. All you have to do is look at the B1G 10 conference. What's the 3 toughest schools on athletes academically in the B1G 10? Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana. What 3 schools have the worst football programs and most generally the worst basketball programs (Indiana is the exception in basketball because of their heritage)? Northwestern, Illinois and to a lesser extent, Indiana.

Illinois has tried the cheatin' route in football and basketball and the NCAA has come after them with torches lit and pitchforks in hand, strung 'em up and hung 'em out to dry! That doesn't happen at places like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA and Carolina in basketball or Southern Cal, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan or Notre Dame in football.

That's the big difference I'm talking about.

Being loved and adored doesn't automatically exempt anyone from being a slime ball, and field trips to coal mines doesn't either. He!!, Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno were loved and adored (still are by some) but we all know what they were. Not at all inferring that Huggy is a pedophile, or someone who would cover up for one but I think you get what is being said.

Agree with you for the most part but I would say University of Michigan is a better school academically then Illinois and Indiana.JMO

buckeyebandit7
03-26-2015, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=Highside Hustler25;1906512]KU will pay the price after Cal bolts to the NBA. It's a shame innocent players will pay the penalty.

Cal isn't a saint, that's for sure. I bleed blue and have all my life. I went to school at UK. But, eventually, I think that he will leave UK in a shambles just like he did UMass and Memphis. But, he won't bolt for the NBA just yet. He's been there and done that and sucked at it. It won't be this year because there are no good openings available where'd he would be able to win right off the bat. He doesn't need the money so why take a job with the Brooklyn Nets or some other sub-par team where you're going to get your ass handed to you night in and night out. The only way I see him going to the NBA anytime soon is if he knows that the $@&$ is going to hit the fan.

zyoung25
03-26-2015, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Highside Hustler25;1906512]KU will pay the price after Cal bolts to the NBA. It's a shame innocent players will pay the penalty.

Cal isn't a saint, that's for sure. I bleed blue and have all my life. I went to school at UK. But, eventually, I think that he will leave UK in a shambles just like he did UMass and Memphis. But, he won't bolt for the NBA just yet. He's been there and done that and sucked at it. It won't be this year because there are no good openings available where'd he would be able to win right off the bat. He doesn't need the money so why take a job with the Brooklyn Nets or some other sub-par team where you're going to get your ass handed to you night in and night out. The only way I see him going to the NBA anytime soon is if he knows that the $@&$ is going to hit the fan.

I don't see him leaving to go pro anytime soon, I don't see him staying at UK forever either. There's no way one man could withstand the pressure of having to produce a team like he has every year since he's been there, and expect nothing but a national title each year. Last year I felt like was his best coaching year ever. That team wasn't that good (barely making the touney) and they made it to the title game.

The type of players he brings in are most of the time the best players in their high school teams and most likely that same state. How he gets those kids egos under control is beyond me.

SFrancisFan15
03-26-2015, 09:37 PM

Looking to me that Kentucky wouldn't mind seeing more of the mountaineers! This UK team is.R I D icolous

zyoung25
03-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Not that it had anything to do with the score. I hope they don't put the same refs in for championship game. The players couldn't fart on one another without a whistle being blown.

Looks like it's on the hot shooting Irish.

buckeyebandit7
03-26-2015, 11:12 PM

I hope ND is as tough as WV.

buckeyebandit7
03-26-2015, 11:17 PM
Not that it had anything to do with the score. I hope they don't put the same refs in for championship game. The players couldn't fart on one another without a whistle being blown.

Looks like it's on the hot shooting Irish.

Agreed...officiating was terrible going both ways.

CIRF
03-27-2015, 12:25 AM
Agree with you for the most part but I would say University of Michigan is a better school academically then Illinois and Indiana.JMO

No argument there SFF15. In some departments Michigan is rated higher than Illinois and Indiana, in others Illinois and Indiana is more highly regarded. Overall Michigan is probably rated the highest against Illinois and Indiana, it's been a while since I looked at the academic rankings.

An example of the comparison I mention, Indiana has a much better liberal arts department than any other school in the B1G 10, and Illinois has an engineering department that is rated third behind only MIT and Cal Tech. Illinois has a very highly rated accounting department along with the best science and agriculture departments in the B1G 10 (sorry Purdue, Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan State, Illinois' ag dept. is tops).

But, Northwestern has them all beat academically among undergraduates and also in their athletic programs.

That said, Illinois, Indiana and Northwestern all have higher academic standards for admission of student athletes than Michigan and the rest of the B1G 10. That's the reference I was making.

buster83
03-27-2015, 12:39 AM
and Big Blue Nation moves on to play ND.

CIRF
03-27-2015, 08:50 AM
and Big Blue Nation moves on to play ND.

Yep, and there will be a lotta' people pullin' for UK that normally would enjoy seeing them lose. ND brings that out in people.

Highside Hustler25
03-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Yep, and there will be a lotta' people pullin' for UK that normally would enjoy seeing them lose. ND brings that out in people.

Not necessarily so in a Catholic majority area. Them mackerel snappers stick together.

CIRF
03-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Not necessarily so in a Catholic majority area. Them mackerel snappers stick together.

No doubt about that HH, they do stick together. I'm from an area that is predominantly of Eastern European Catholic descent along with a fairly large contingent of Irish Catholics and they love their Notre Dame, for sure. Chitcago, which is too close, is a very large hotbed of alumni and subway alumni (the worst kind, even though 99% of them couldn't get into ND and couldn't afford to go there even if they were accepted along with the fact that the real ND alumni wouldn't piss in their mouths if their tongue was on fire).

Most of them believe everything ND does is personally ordained by God Himself and the athletic dept., coaches and players can do no wrong, no matter what, which has been proven wrong many, many times.

However, I've discovered in my travels around the good 'Ol U.S. of A. that there are many more people around the country that actively pull for whoever is playing ND. Given what I've heard of the Kentucky faithful, and this is from an uninterested bystander, the two fan factions are definitely made for each other. LOL!!

Highside Hustler25
03-27-2015, 05:23 PM
Chitcago, which is too close, is a very large hotbed of alumni and subway alumni (the worst kind, even though 99% of them couldn't get into ND and couldn't afford to go there even if they were accepted along with the fact that the real ND alumni wouldn't piss in their mouths if their tongue was on fire).

Got a good laugh there Cirf.:D

fruit loop
03-27-2015, 09:47 PM
high side, need to know your lawyers name.I feel a law suit coming your way for being racist about us catholics. I need to buy a new race car/

Highside Hustler25
03-28-2015, 05:16 AM
high side, need to know your lawyers name.I feel a law suit coming your way for being racist about us catholics. I need to buy a new race car/

Bring it on Toucan Sam:DI was baptized a Catholic 50 years ago. Just statin some facts here:)

MUD MAESTRO
03-28-2015, 08:18 AM
No doubt about that HH, they do stick together. I'm from an area that is predominantly of Eastern European Catholic descent along with a fairly large contingent of Irish Catholics and they love their Notre Dame, for sure. Chitcago, which is too close, is a very large hotbed of alumni and subway alumni (the worst kind, even though 99% of them couldn't get into ND and couldn't afford to go there even if they were accepted along with the fact that the real ND alumni wouldn't piss in their mouths if their tongue was on fire)

Not True! My son is a real Notre Dame alumnus....he uses a squirt gun.

CIRF
03-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Not True! My son is a real Notre Dame alumnus....he uses a squirt gun.

I sincerely apologize MUD, I stand humbly corrected in deference to a genuine ND alumna!! LOL!!!

racerx99
03-28-2015, 05:13 PM
what happened to the Spring 50 thread..... basket ball blows......... Dirt Racin is what its all about!!!!

Highside Hustler25
03-28-2015, 05:22 PM
what happened to the Spring 50 thread..... basket ball blows......... Dirt Racin is what its all about!!!!

Postponed till April 4th. Basketball is still on:D

Gary
03-28-2015, 06:19 PM

I think it's been turned into a basketball thread.

Here's a link to another thread:

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?341584-Spring-Nationals-at-201-Ponderosa-and-Florence-April-2-3-4-over-55-000-weekend

zyoung25
03-28-2015, 07:46 PM

Hard to talk about racing when there isn't any going on.

At least it's not 2 or 3 people arguing over something that doesn't matter to anyone.

NormP
03-29-2015, 10:43 AM
yes, I know what you mean. if it wasn't for being a Kentuckian, I sure wouldn't be a wildcats fan. calipari and the university are involved in things they shouldn't be, i'll just let it go at that.

Everyone says that, and there's never any proof. In fact there aren't even accusations by anyone other than the haters.

By the way, nothing against you WV folks, but we all knew how that game was going to go, didn't we?

NormP
03-29-2015, 10:48 AM
I just dont see why so many of these high profile recruits want to play there? Yea they have a heritage, but so do a lot of schools.

There's not a basketball heritage in the country that can compete with that of Kentucky. UCLA had one good stretch with Wooden and then disappeared again. Kansas, UNC and Duke are always tough, but they don't have the history UK has.

As far as others talking about us being "taken care of" by the NCAA, you should probably dig a little deeper. How do you think we got Rick Pitino back in the nineties? Because the NCAA gave us everything but the death penalty due to Sutton.

Anyhoo, I don't begrudge other folks cheering for other teams, I don't mind if you don't like the Cats, and if you still have a team in the tournament good luck to you. Hopefully you'll win the office pool.

Hopefully the games will be on before the racing starts and we can avert a disaster.

Highside Hustler25
03-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Everyone says that, and there's never any proof. In fact there aren't even accusations by anyone other than the haters.

By the way, nothing against you WV folks, but we all knew how that game was going to go, didn't we?

How many schools has Calipari coached at that were not investigated for wrong doings?
Don't get carpal tunnel typing all the schools:D

It's not that I dislike KU, it's all about the cheater.

*Bandit*
03-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Hopefully the weather turns out GREAT for next Saturday night I can't wait!!! Should be a good show

CIRF
03-29-2015, 01:30 PM
There's not a basketball heritage in the country that can compete with that of Kentucky. UCLA had one good stretch with Wooden and then disappeared again. Kansas, UNC and Duke are always tough, but they don't have the history UK has.

As far as others talking about us being "taken care of" by the NCAA, you should probably dig a little deeper. How do you think we got Rick Pitino back in the nineties? Because the NCAA gave us everything but the death penalty due to Sutton.

Anyhoo, I don't begrudge other folks cheering for other teams, I don't mind if you don't like the Cats, and if you still have a team in the tournament good luck to you. Hopefully you'll win the office pool.

Hopefully the games will be on before the racing starts and we can avert a disaster.

Norm, the point is, Kentucky SHOULD have gotten the death penalty. What went on while Hall & Sutton were there was equal or worse than what got SMU the death penalty! Joe Hall left KU under a shroud of controversy and it was found that there was a culture of cheating in the form of cash payments to basketball players and KU allowed them to sell their free season tickets and being paid for public appearances.

31 of 33 former KU players that were interviewed by the NCAA swore to having received and knew of outright payments to players in the form of repeated $100 handshakes and regular $500 payments from various boosters and friends of the basketball program at KU. He!!, Hall's lawyer, some shyster by the name of Dunn, actually bought season tickets from Jay Shidler for $4000 over the course of 3 years for his season tickets. Some of Hall's victories were vacated because of what was going on.

I'm not all that versed on what Sutton did but it's been documented that what Sutton did was at least as bad as what Hall had gotten away with. Sutton resigned and KU got no TV and no post season play. That was a slap on the wrist in relation to what had actually been going on.

Jerry Tarkanian summed it up pretty well when he said this about the NCAA coddling KU: "they're going to find them guilty and then give Cleveland State three more years of probation." Tark was good for a good chuckle but he was pretty much right.

Saying KU hasn't been coddled by the NCAA over the years is mile long stretch!!

To say that UCLA's basketball pedigree isn't a match for KU is a head scratcher, too. 11 national championships total, 10 in 13 years and 7 in a row for John Wooden's Bruins and they were never on probation while Wooden was there. How many does KU have? 8 is it, and soon to have 9? Hmmmm!

One last thing Norm. I'm pulling for KU to win the national championship!! I want KU to win it to shut the Indiana fans up that chirp about how Bobby the Knught went undefeated in '76.

So, GO BLUE! LOL!!

Sorry so long but there is a lot of material to cover when it comes to KU basketball cheatin'.

zyoung25
03-29-2015, 01:54 PM

Ill always see UCLA as the #1 powerhouse as far as college basketball programs just because of the Wooden years, they been down for a few years now, it wasnt long ago UK was in the same boat. don't have a favorite team, never have had. I got teams I root for and ones I don't. I personally root against UK because of all the band wagon fans. Some UK fans can almost be as annoying as the drunken Bloomquist fan.

NormP
03-29-2015, 05:31 PM
There are several things that makes UK the greatest program, first team to 2000 victories, most victories of any school ever, over 40 regular season conference championships, etc. UCLA had the Wooden years for 12-15 years and has been a mid level school for the 45 or so years since then (and the time before Wooden).
Schools like Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc., are better schools than UCLA because they are consistently good across several decades, not just one period of time in the 60s and early 70s.

I'm glad you're rooting for my Cats CIRF, you picked a good one to cheer for this year, but call them UK (University of Kentucky), not KU (Kansas University) haha! The jayhawks fans lay claim to KU.

Highside Hustler25
03-29-2015, 06:22 PM
Ill always see UCLA as the #1 powerhouse as far as college basketball programs just because of the Wooden years, they been down for a few years now, it wasnt long ago UK was in the same boat. don't have a favorite team, never have had. I got teams I root for and ones I don't. I personally root against UK because of all the band wagon fans. Some UK fans can almost be as annoying as the drunken Bloomquist fan.

I'm with you Z. Hate to pop Norm's bubble but maybe some day Kentucky can lay claim to the best all time. For now, UCLA hands down. They haven't done much lately, but no team has matched the dynasty they once had.

NormP
03-29-2015, 06:52 PM
You aren't bursting my bubble. We can disagree all day but it won't change the numbers that point to the supremacy of UK basketball. UCLA has a bunch of national championships all in a short time frame, then nothing. They don't even consistently win their conference. The Cats have been good since the forties. UCLA didn't even have 15 good years before they faded back to mid-pack. Our dynasty is around 75 years old now. You could stack 3-4 teams' dynasties together and not match that.
Duke is head and shoulders above UCLA because Duke is consistent. UNC is better than UCLA because UNC is consistent. Kansas is better than UCLA because they're consistent. It's all about consistency, and it hasn't been there for UCLA. Otherwise we'd see the top players going there instead of UK or the two schools in the ACC.

We can debate it all day but I don't think anyone is going to change their opinion. The numbers are there for anyone who wants to check. I'm just glad I've discussed it with guys who haven't resorted to name calling once the facts are presented to them. That stuff seems to have gone out the window lately thankfully.

Clayton_Wetter
03-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Norm, the point is, Kentucky SHOULD have gotten the death penalty. What went on while Hall & Sutton were there was equal or worse than what got SMU the death penalty! Joe Hall left KU under a shroud of controversy and it was found that there was a culture of cheating in the form of cash payments to basketball players and KU allowed them to sell their free season tickets and being paid for public appearances.

31 of 33 former KU players that were interviewed by the NCAA swore to having received and knew of outright payments to players in the form of repeated $100 handshakes and regular $500 payments from various boosters and friends of the basketball program at KU. He!!, Hall's lawyer, some shyster by the name of Dunn, actually bought season tickets from Jay Shidler for $4000 over the course of 3 years for his season tickets. Some of Hall's victories were vacated because of what was going on.

I'm not all that versed on what Sutton did but it's been documented that what Sutton did was at least as bad as what Hall had gotten away with. Sutton resigned and KU got no TV and no post season play. That was a slap on the wrist in relation to what had actually been going on.

Jerry Tarkanian summed it up pretty well when he said this about the NCAA coddling KU: "they're going to find them guilty and then give Cleveland State three more years of probation." Tark was good for a good chuckle but he was pretty much right.

To say that UCLA's basketball pedigree isn't a match for KU is a head scratcher, too. 11 national championships total, 10 in 13 years and 7 in a row for John Wooden's Bruins and they were never on probation while Wooden was there. How many does KU have? 8 is it, and soon to have 9? Hmmmm!

One last thing Norm. I'm pulling for KU to win the national championship!! I want KU to win it to shut the Indiana fans up that chirp about how Bobby the Knught went undefeated in '76.

So, GO BLUE! LOL!!

Sorry so long but there is a lot of material to cover when it comes to KU basketball cheatin'.

The General recruited team players and truly wanted his players to be successful in life. The Multi Millions dollar coaches and players that come to Kentucky are a different breed. Talent and money rather than intelligent team play and an education.

Highside Hustler25
03-29-2015, 07:19 PM
You aren't bursting my bubble. We can disagree all day but it won't change the numbers that point to the supremacy of UK basketball. UCLA has a bunch of national championships all in a short time frame, then nothing. They don't even consistently win their conference. The Cats have been good since the forties. UCLA didn't even have 15 good years before they faded back to mid-pack. Our dynasty is around 75 years old now. You could stack 3-4 teams' dynasties together and not match that.
Duke is head and shoulders above UCLA because Duke is consistent. UNC is better than UCLA because UNC is consistent. Kansas is better than UCLA because they're consistent. It's all about consistency, and it hasn't been there for UCLA. Otherwise we'd see the top players going there instead of UK or the two schools in the ACC.

We can debate it all day but I don't think anyone is going to change their opinion. The numbers are there for anyone who wants to check. I'm just glad I've discussed it with guys who haven't resorted to name calling once the facts are presented to them. That stuff seems to have gone out the window lately thankfully.

We can agree to disagree:)I will say tho, as far as top players going ACC,Big 10,SEC etc. is that it's all about TV for these kids. They want that TV exposure and playing on the West coast, well lets say most working folks are in bed before 1/2 time of their games. TV has helped create East Coast dominance.

Oh, and UCLA has prettier cheerleaders.:cool:

Highside Hustler25
03-29-2015, 07:20 PM
The General recruited team players and truly wanted his players to be successful in life. The Multi Millions dollar coaches and players that come to Kentucky are a different breed. Talent and money rather than intelligent team play and an education.

The General. One of the all time greats.

kidrock
03-29-2015, 08:04 PM
I'm with you Z. Hate to pop Norm's bubble but maybe some day Kentucky can lay claim to the best all time. For now, UCLA hands down. They haven't done much lately, but no team has matched the dynasty they once had.

Yep you got it. Until a team passes UCLA in National Titles. UCLA will be considered the best College basketball program of all time.

A team that consistently gets the best players year end year out should win on a consistent basis.

Clayton_Wetter
03-29-2015, 08:04 PM

http://www.greatlakesprep.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/1976-Indiana.jpg

Highside Hustler25
03-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Oh oh Clayton, that pic could create a bigger uprising than a bad Bloomer joke:D

lazyifoto
03-29-2015, 10:07 PM
So are you all saying UK is playing at Florence Speedway for 5000 to win.?

zyoung25
03-29-2015, 10:22 PM

That's what I always thought too. Some may not have agreed with the way he done things, and I didn't really agree, but no doubt one of the best ever. Thats another reason I tend to pull for other teams. I'm not a fan of the one and done type players. I'd like to see the NCAA do something about that. It would keep these type of super teams from being built. Those high recruits want to go somewhere like Kentucky that gets tons of attention and playing time, they don't care about what states name is on the jersey, if they cared they would stay and win all they could.

I loved it a few years ago Kentucky passed on one of the best in state players in Chris Lofton, and let him go to Tennessee. Where he absolutely lit them up.

CIRF
03-29-2015, 10:23 PM

I'm just curious as to whether you Knught lovers were the least bit disturbed by the fact that Bobby the Knught threw a potted plant at a female secretary and had to be physically restrained from going after her? This incident took place within the athletic offices of Indiana University. This isn't hearsay, it's documented. Personally I have no use, and even less respect for a guy that would do something like that no matter how good of a coach he was. I'm convinced that there were many other incidents that no one ever heard about. If anyone at Indiana had a spine Knught would have been out on his ear at Indiana long, long before he was ultimately canned. The only reason he finally got fired was because he no longer could recruit good players and was no longer winning, not because he got caught choking a player on video. Larry Bird had Knught figured out after just a few practices at IU before he split for Terre Haute!

The numbers do not support your opinion Norm. 11 to 8 (or 9) are the facts and there is just no way to logically dispute that. You're obviously a fan and I'm sure you probably believe what you say but that still doesn't make it a fact.

And one more piece of evidence the NCAA is soft on UK, besides the fact that Kentucky should have been put out of the college basketball business for what Hall and Sutton got away with. Illinois played UK in the regional final in 1984 AT KENTUCKY'S ARENA. Illinois lost the regional final by 3 on a very controversial call in front of an almost exclusive UK home crowd.

The outrage over that deal was such that the NCAA was forced to make a rule that all NCAA tournament games would be at neutral sites and no longer would a school play NCAA tournament games in their own facility.

Norm, how many of Calipari's top 7 or 8 players at UK do you truly believe actually go to class?

LMPunk
03-30-2015, 06:35 AM
I'm going to assume those that tear down Kentucky/Calipari for allegedly shady practices while propping up UCLA have never heard of Sam Gilbert.

SFrancisFan15
03-30-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm going to assume those that tear down Kentucky/Calipari for allegedly shady practices while propping up UCLA have never heard of Sam Gilbert.

Ole "Papa Sam" was something else.

Mud Packer
03-30-2015, 02:28 PM
I believe the rule about a college player playing only one year and then being eligible for the NBA is not an NCAA rule but rather the NBA rule. The NCAA in my opinion couldn't force any student/athlete to stay in school if they wanted to leave. The NBA on the other hand could change the rule and prohit any college age player from being eligible for the NBA draft. So blame the NCAA all you want, the rule now is an NBA rule that in my opinion is hurting college basketball with the one and done.

Highside Hustler25
03-30-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm just curious as to whether you Knught lovers were the least bit disturbed by the fact that Bobby the Knught threw a potted plant at a female secretary and had to be physically restrained from going after her?

Not at all. She was chuckin up 3 pointers all afternoon and never made a one. Only mistake he made was pickin a plant over the ever reliable chair:D

I know Mr. Knight was a lil intense at times, but he was still one of the best coaches.

Clayton_Wetter
03-30-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm just curious as to whether you Knught lovers were the least bit disturbed by the fact that Bobby the Knught threw a potted plant at a female secretary and had to be physically restrained from going after her? This incident took place within the athletic offices of Indiana University. This isn't hearsay, it's documented. Personally I have no use, and even less respect for a guy that would do something like that no matter how good of a coach he was. I'm convinced that there were many other incidents that no one ever heard about. If anyone at Indiana had a spine Knught would have been out on his ear at Indiana long, long before he was ultimately canned. The only reason he finally got fired was because he no longer could recruit good players and was no longer winning, not because he got caught choking a player on video. Larry Bird had Knught figured out after just a few practices at IU before he split for Terre Haute!

The numbers do not support your opinion Norm. 11 to 8 (or 9) are the facts and there is just no way to logically dispute that. You're obviously a fan and I'm sure you probably believe what you say but that still doesn't make it a fact.

And one more piece of evidence the NCAA is soft on UK, besides the fact that Kentucky should have been put out of the college basketball business for what Hall and Sutton got away with. Illinois played UK in the regional final in 1984 AT KENTUCKY'S ARENA. Illinois lost the regional final by 3 on a very controversial call in front of an almost exclusive UK home crowd.

The outrage over that deal was such that the NCAA was forced to make a rule that all NCAA tournament games would be at neutral sites and no longer would a school play NCAA tournament games in their own facility.

Norm, how many of Calipari's top 7 or 8 players at UK do you truly believe actually go to class?

CIRF Knight threw the potted plant at the wall, not at a secretary.

Clayton_Wetter
03-30-2015, 06:17 PM
So are you all saying UK is playing at Florence Speedway for 5000 to win.?

Nope nobody said that at all. And there was no race there to talk about either! Other than the discussion about the weather and cancellation. Did YOU have something of importance to add about that???

BIG MAC ATTACK
03-31-2015, 04:25 PM

So, GO BLUE! LOL!!

This guy knows KU basketball but is that Kansas University?