PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Oil and the tarp rule

Highside Hustler25
03-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Just wondering how the rule is being enforced so far. I remember earlier in the season down in Florida, they said this rule would be enforced. Anyone take notice at Atomic or BT last weekend?
Supposedly, violators will be required to partake in the ride along program with 50 pounds of additional weight if caught.
I remember Bloomer was not real happy with this decision. I don't believe it was enforced too much at Speedweeks.

pink floyd
03-27-2015, 06:52 AM
bloomer had one on his car at atomic, then removed it.

bloomy18018
03-27-2015, 07:32 AM
They should be allowed to tarp until the pit meeting... After that, no tarps the remainder of the day/night. There are still things drivers don't want other teams to see, otherwise drivers will be arriving later and later to the track

SFrancisFan15
03-27-2015, 08:34 AM
I don't remember seeing any at Atomic when I went to pits around 5:00.

george w
03-27-2015, 10:29 AM
First let me say i like the rule . But do you guys think lucas would actually enforce this rule on say a bowyer team or bloomer ? Just intrested to here others opinions . I guess it'd surprise me somewhat if they did.

huskerdirt
03-27-2015, 11:03 AM
First let me say i like the rule . But do you guys think lucas would actually enforce this rule on say a bowyer team or bloomer ? Just intrested to here others opinions . I guess it'd surprise me somewhat if they did.

They already are.... It's easier to police now because you have the top ten parking together so that helps.

I was watching the golden isles race on MavTV. It appeared that some teams are shifting there equipment in the pit. Pit carts are now being positioned by the right rear. Now if every team does that all the way down the pit road. Problem solved.

george w
03-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Husker, they got a good picture an article up on dod.

Captain Happy
03-27-2015, 11:26 AM
bloomer had one on his car at atomic, then removed it. Almost would appear Lucas is trying to outs the Bloomers of this sport. If so... hope that works out for them.

COKEandaSMILE
03-27-2015, 11:31 AM
The rule is to enhance the fans experience.

Not sure that is accomplished by seeing a wheel/tire as opposed to a covering of the wheel well.

Dirt Track*UMP
03-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Almost would appear Lucas is trying to outs the Bloomers of this sport. If so... hope that works out for them.

That would be a big mistake on Lucas if that was true. Bloomer might be getting old but he still has what it takes to win a lot of Lucas and other races. Keep BLOOMING Scott. You are doing just fine.

Captain Happy
03-27-2015, 11:34 AM
That would be a big mistake on Lucas if that was true. Bloomer might be getting old but he still has what it takes to win a lot of Lucas and other races. Keep BLOOMING Scott. You are doing just fine. I totally agree!!!

Captain Happy
03-27-2015, 11:41 AM
The rule is to enhance the fans experience. Not sure that is accomplished by seeing a wheel/tire as opposed to a covering of the wheel well. Lucas is so much like NASCAR now it's pathetic...

WisWildManFan
03-27-2015, 01:42 PM
When did they start enforcing top 10 to pit next to each other? I went in pits twice at East Bay and didn't know where bloomer was parked. Could've been too many Buds tho lol

huskerdirt
03-27-2015, 01:47 PM
When did they start enforcing top 10 to pit next to each other? I went in pits twice at East Bay and didn't know where bloomer was parked. Could've been too many Buds tho lol

I believe that started at Atomic.

As far as the tarp deal. IMO, I thought it was getting out hand. Just look at that picture on DoD. I see why drivers would complain. Once you change the routine a little bit, it ruffles some feathers. Its no different than let's say your place of employment.

I wouldn't have a problem if they allowed those rear covers that were so popular in 90s. Still keeps most of the car visable and keeps the rear end covered.

Captain Happy
03-27-2015, 01:57 PM
To many Buds??? Hows that work???:D

Wish ole Bloomer would dump'um and run the Summer Nats!!! With some real outlaw thrown in there... :cool:

MRM
03-27-2015, 02:11 PM
I think the pitting together and the no tarps go hand-in-hand. Keep the teams together to watch them easier.

Captain Happy
03-27-2015, 02:30 PM
I think the pitting together and the no tarps go hand-in-hand. Keep the teams together to watch them easier.

Well yeah, that's the idea here but where does this "police act" stop?? When they all are running as equal to the same as NASCRAP???

Wait, that's already in play... Nevermind! :rolleyes:

COKEandaSMILE
03-27-2015, 02:46 PM

If that is their reasoning then they should say so. They claim it's to enhance the fan experience., ,,, which it does not.

huskerdirt
03-27-2015, 03:12 PM
If that is their reasoning then they should say so. They claim it's to enhance the fan experience., ,,, which it does not.

In the article on DoD. I get the impression that it does go hand in hand. The article drivers do agree that it does increase the fan experience. I believe they are trying to cater to the casual fan to make the sport grow and maybe potential sponsors.

I do think they need to make a cut off time though. That should been in the rule before they applied it.

Crossbones
03-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Just like everything else in our society mystery is not allowed, gotta make everything boring and sterile. Wrong headed theories on what really draws people.

vande07
03-27-2015, 03:26 PM
My question is what is to gain by having the tarps?

No other form of racing allows you to "hide" your racecar from officials and competitors on a race weekend do they?

I find it very hard to believe that dirt Late Models have more secrets than F1, NASCAR, IndyCar, Sportscars, World of Outlaw Sprints, Modifieds, etc., etc..

The fast cars will be the fast cars no matter if they put them all in a garage and take the body panels off of them for everyone to see or if they allow them to tarp off their entire pit area so no one can see. Those that work the hardest and have the most knowledge will always be fast (at least IMO), and those that think they can "buy speed" or can look at another car and change something on theirs so it looks the same and expect to be just as fast are fooling themselves,

To me, the tarps were a waste of $$

vande07
03-27-2015, 03:38 PM
In the article on DoD. I get the impression that it does go hand in hand. The article drivers do agree that it does increase the fan experience. I believe they are trying to cater to the casual fan to make the sport grow and maybe potential sponsors.

I do think they need to make a cut off time though. That should been in the rule before they applied it.

If they want to increase the fan experience I have a couple of ideas....

1. No cars can "load up" until 30 minutes AFTER the last checkered flag of the night (how do you get young kids interested in racing? You put them in the drivers seat of a car after the races)

2. Involve the fans in the format. I don't care if they do straight up starts, inverts, time trials, pill draws, etc. for their format. But let that decision be made by those paying to attend via their smartphones or when they purchase their ticket to the event. Announce the decision of the fans prior to hotlaps (if pilldraw), after time trials (if invert or straight up).

3. Open pit area for 2-3 hours every afternoon of a multi-day show (don't make people pay to go to the pits, make it free of charge and encourage teams to have hero cards, candy, etc. for kids under 14. The kids are the FUTURE of the sport (either as spectators or, drivers, team owners, sponsors, crew members, etc. - you lose them or a few generations of them, and the sport will die a quick death)

zyoung25
03-27-2015, 03:44 PM
I never seen any car covers at either race until the races were over.

As far as what they gain....nothing imo. I'm pretty sure it's just a mind game to the ones that do it.

huskerdirt
03-27-2015, 03:52 PM
If they want to increase the fan experience I have a couple of ideas....

1. No cars can "load up" until 30 minutes AFTER the last checkered flag of the night (how do you get young kids interested in racing? You put them in the drivers seat of a car after the races)

2. Involve the fans in the format. I don't care if they do straight up starts, inverts, time trials, pill draws, etc. for their format. But let that decision be made by those paying to attend via their smartphones or when they purchase their ticket to the event. Announce the decision of the fans prior to hotlaps (if pilldraw), after time trials (if invert or straight up).

3. Open pit area for 2-3 hours every afternoon of a multi-day show (don't make people pay to go to the pits, make it free of charge and encourage teams to have hero cards, candy, etc. for kids under 14. The kids are the FUTURE of the sport (either as spectators or, drivers, team owners, sponsors, crew members, etc. - you lose them or a few generations of them, and the sport will die a quick death)

I agree on all of that..... When I went Wheatland a few years ago for the diamond nationals. I kid you not the some of the guys drove there cars straight on the lift after the races. Within 15 minutes there was a traffic jam trying to get out of the pits while the mod feature was still running. Kinda left a sour taste in my mouth. You had these kids that wanted to see drivers and such. Yet apparently most were concerned with getting home.

FlatTire
03-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Black Sunshine is hard at work developing his new motion activated smoke machine that he will strategically position under the car to produce enough smoke to obstruct the view of all the googly eyed chumps trying to copy his innovative ways. This is all in retaliation for Bloomer getting away with his magic Penske sticks. Has little to do with "fan experience". Thats just how they helped sell this to the sheeple. Meanwhile society continues to cater to the slackasses & Obama lubbers.

Captain Happy
03-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Lmao!!!!!!!!!

Escobar
03-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Don O'Neal never used any kind of cover last year and he was able to win the title. The Waaaahhhhmbulance will be here soon for all the aspiring LOLMDS drivers on this thread. We all know it directly affects each one of you on a personal level.

zeroracing
03-27-2015, 06:02 PM
My question is what is to gain by having the tarps?

No other form of racing allows you to "hide" your racecar from officials and competitors on a race weekend do they?

I find it very hard to believe that dirt Late Models have more secrets than F1, NASCAR, IndyCar, Sportscars, World of Outlaw Sprints, Modifieds, etc., etc..

The fast cars will be the fast cars no matter if they put them all in a garage and take the body panels off of them for everyone to see or if they allow them to tarp off their entire pit area so no one can see. Those that work the hardest and have the most knowledge will always be fast (at least IMO), and those that think they can "buy speed" or can look at another car and change something on theirs so it looks the same and expect to be just as fast are fooling themselves,

To me, the tarps were a waste of $$

Your point about F1, Indycar or nascar is not accurate. NASCAR mandates a ton of what you can run so by naked eye almost any of the improvements that a team makes would be impossible to see, also they are aero dependent which can be seen by the exterior body. Indycar is a spec series where all the cars are basically the same. F1 uses private garages for each team and secrecy is government level. They use graphics to hide body contours, they keep underfloors and parts under cover at all times just about. Heck they wI'll hardly let outdated tech out of the house, look at f1 tech forums, a guy gets a part and talks about taking it apart he gets a call from the team offering to buy it or demanding he return it.

Our cars have very little rules so big differences could exist between two chassis that the eye could see. These guys make a living by these cars, it is not a hobby at this level. I would not let my competitors walk behind the front desk in my company let alone check out my business plans.

I say allow rear coves only, cannot go more than 6" in front of spoiler.

RoundNrOUND
03-27-2015, 06:06 PM
^^^^^^^^^ what he said

ride height
03-27-2015, 06:09 PM
While i myself dont own or work on these cars, my bet is...whatever is covered up Is a diversion from whats really the hot little newest go fast adjustment the winners are doing. They have yall too busy trying to see whats covered up and you never look elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

Captain Happy
03-27-2015, 06:16 PM
The magician can only create an allusion... ;)

RoundNrOUND
03-27-2015, 10:41 PM
It's all the small things that add up to victory. The longer you can keep those small things to yourself, the longer you keep getting the victories and keep building onto those small advantages.

Highside Hustler25
03-28-2015, 05:13 AM
The magician can only create an allusion... ;)

It wasn't the Penske shocks, rather the Magic tarp that has ole Scotty off to a bad start:D

Dante Toledo, OH
03-28-2015, 07:41 AM
They had covers on some of the cars at Atomic. If someone would explain how to post a picture off my phone to here, i have pictures of Landers car all tarped up. The back and the rear wheels.

bonz45
03-28-2015, 08:07 AM
In response to the suggested point of the after race time, I have never understood why at least the Outlaws have not followed the sprint lead in this practice. Great PR. Maybe the LM guys just don't want to deal with fans??? I think it would definitely add to the fan experience and would encourage especially kids to return- give them something more to look forward to. On the down side, that would dictate the SLM's getting the last event of the night, meaning sitting through countless support divisions. I guess at some tracks all the kids would be asleep by then anyway...In that case, never mind-just rambling on....

COKEandaSMILE
03-28-2015, 09:53 AM
They had covers on some of the cars at Atomic. If someone would explain how to post a picture off my phone to here, i have pictures of Landers car all tarped up. The back and the rear wheels.

Go advanced button
Manage attachments
Choose file
Documents
Gallery

Think that should do it.

Captain Happy
03-28-2015, 10:23 AM
It wasn't the Penske shocks, rather the Magic tarp that has ole Scotty off to a bad start:D

Don't tell me you're actually thinking Bloomer hasn't a trick or two up his sleeve are ya? He's been running pretty good even in Lucas's radar screen... He'll have them scathing their heads soon enough, if he aleady hasn't. :cool:

VOODOO!!!!! ;)

Captain Happy
03-28-2015, 10:29 AM
This new controlled environment the guys are put into will eventually backfire on Lucas!

vande07
03-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Your point about F1, Indycar or nascar is not accurate. NASCAR mandates a ton of what you can run so by naked eye almost any of the improvements that a team makes would be impossible to see, also they are aero dependent which can be seen by the exterior body. Indycar is a spec series where all the cars are basically the same. F1 uses private garages for each team and secrecy is government level. They use graphics to hide body contours, they keep underfloors and parts under cover at all times just about. Heck they wI'll hardly let outdated tech out of the house, look at f1 tech forums, a guy gets a part and talks about taking it apart he gets a call from the team offering to buy it or demanding he return it.

Our cars have very little rules so big differences could exist between two chassis that the eye could see. These guys make a living by these cars, it is not a hobby at this level. I would not let my competitors walk behind the front desk in my company let alone check out my business plans.

I say allow rear coves only, cannot go more than 6" in front of spoiler.

Hate to break this to you, F1 is more regulated than ANY other type of racing. They have specs for every single part on the car. The big thing with them is, what you start the season with, you can't change until the season is over. You design a part that performs terribly, you're stuck with it until next season. There are very little secrets, the teams that work hard (and have boatloads of $$$$, are the ones that run up front -- and once you get behind, it's hard to get back to the top of the mountain), you have to develop the parts and pieces with no testing and during the short off-season (or have another staff entirely devoted to working on the future parts and pieces while you are racing this season. HAAS will have a very difficult time even coming close to competing even though his a billionaire because they haven't opened up shop yet but plan on racing next year (IMO, they needed to open up shop a year ago and not go racing until next year if they don't want to embarrass themselves with how slow their car is compared to other teams).

NASCAR, rules are also very stringent, but the garage area is OPEN to all teams (you have to pit according to your points standing, so the guy leading the points is pitted beside the the team 2nd in points and on down the line. They are FEET from you on race-weekends and again, all parts have to be NASCAR approved, you run an un-approved part, and they put it on display for everyone to see at the NASCAR hauler.

Last I checked, there isn't an abundance of Engineers running around the pits of a dirt late model race (and I can only think of 2 total in dirt racing that race full-time (Greg Hodnett and Sammy Swindell who are both drivers in Sprint Cars. Just "looking" at a car isn't going to tell people much. The only way to get any real information is to measure things, tear it apart, or buy it and change weld-points and such yourself. Considering most chassis these days are mass-produced (Rocket, Bloomquist by Sweet, Mastersbuilt, Mars, etc..), how could you have any secrets, they could just buy your chassis and truly find out what's different about it.

Like I stated before, IN MY OPINION, the tarp is a waste of $$$$, you can't learn enough by visual or even photos, you gotta tear it apart or run it through some testing to truly learn anything valuable.

vande07
03-30-2015, 11:30 AM
In response to the suggested point of the after race time, I have never understood why at least the Outlaws have not followed the sprint lead in this practice. Great PR. Maybe the LM guys just don't want to deal with fans??? I think it would definitely add to the fan experience and would encourage especially kids to return- give them something more to look forward to. On the down side, that would dictate the SLM's getting the last event of the night, meaning sitting through countless support divisions. I guess at some tracks all the kids would be asleep by then anyway...In that case, never mind-just rambling on....

Totally agree, but I would question why they need countless support divisions. WoO and Lucas should be able to run a 1 division show at a majority of their events. Gotta get kids more interested IMO, or LM's will see decreasing attendance soon.

cgrace
03-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Totally agree, but I would question why they need countless support divisions. WoO and Lucas should be able to run a 1 division show at a majority of their events. Gotta get kids more interested IMO, or LM's will see decreasing attendance soon.good point!!! . plus if you aint in feature you often want to load up and head home specially if it is is two or three day show. people could go in the pits the first couple of nights.

Barbecueboy
03-30-2015, 05:02 PM
Don O'Neal never used any kind of cover last year and he was able to win the title. The Waaaahhhhmbulance will be here soon for all the aspiring LOLMDS drivers on this thread. We all know it directly affects each one of you on a personal level.

Whaaaaaaaaambulance??????

One of the funniest things I've heard on here in a very long time.........

fryefan
03-30-2015, 11:02 PM
I hope that the Lucas Oil officials stand their ground on this issue.

stlracing
03-31-2015, 07:17 AM
UMP has had the NO TARP after drivers meeting rule in the rulebook for a few years. But I don't think I've seen any track enforce it.

hpmaster
03-31-2015, 07:23 AM
UMP has had the NO TARP after drivers meeting rule in the rulebook for a few years. But I don't think I've seen any track enforce it.

UMP has selectively enforced ALL their rules for years....no story here.

zyoung25
03-31-2015, 08:05 AM

If it's the same covers I seen. They aren't like the old ones, the ones from last year were just like blanket they just laid over the back half of the car. The ones you and I probably seen just basically covered up the inside the quarter panels and under the spoiler. Looked like magnets is what held them to the car. Not sure who makes them, Landers and Bloomquist were the only two I seen have these.

Bubstr
03-31-2015, 01:06 PM
I can see why a lot of good racers, don't want the competition to see under their cars. There is a lot of information there, if your smart enough to figure it out. If you know the chassis, you can figure out a out of things, including center of gravity, roll center, spring rates and asymmetrical adjustments to the 4 bar. This does not include tire prep. With that info, you an get close to what they are running in the front, because there has to be a balance between the front and rear. Your there to win races, not teach chassis school.

With that said, I can see why series tech wants it. Someone will run and tell the teacher if they see something illegal. Makes their job easier.

As a fan, I like to see the good stuff and how much it's changed over the years. Nothing prettier than a rolling chassis, ready for skin.

vande07
03-31-2015, 03:51 PM
I can see why a lot of good racers, don't want the competition to see under their cars. There is a lot of information there, if your smart enough to figure it out. If you know the chassis, you can figure out a out of things, including center of gravity, roll center, spring rates and asymmetrical adjustments to the 4 bar. This does not include tire prep. With that info, you an get close to what they are running in the front, because there has to be a balance between the front and rear. Your there to win races, not teach chassis school.

With that said, I can see why series tech wants it. Someone will run and tell the teacher if they see something illegal. Makes their job easier.

As a fan, I like to see the good stuff and how much it's changed over the years. Nothing prettier than a rolling chassis, ready for skin.

With my experience with engineers where are work, there is ZERO gain by looking at pictures, to truly learn something from a competitor's product, you have to use it, test it, and tear it apart to see if they put it together differently than you do and how that makes their product perform better/worse.

But, I work in the manufacturing world, it has no relevance to how race cars are manufactured....

RoundNrOUND
03-31-2015, 04:13 PM
We learn a lot from watching the cars at the track, video and pictures. We don't always need to tear something apart to figure out what they are doing. To be honest though someone comes up with new ideas and innovation so why is it so hard to think that covering up the cars is only for the best for each team?

JokerPrime
03-31-2015, 04:24 PM
UMP has selectively enforced ALL their rules for years....no story here.Green Rep goes here. - Ole JP!!

hpmaster
03-31-2015, 04:53 PM

Yea right...... if it was as easy as you say every GO PRO hooked to roll bars store all of Bloomer's, Lanigans and the Rocket kid's top secret set ups. What do you think drivers are looking at when they sit in the chute? The differences between a winning car can be 3 shock settings, front end alignment and a half inch here or a 1/4" there it isn't some glowing wonder bar of a secret alien origin discovered next to a crashed saucer.

drtrkr244
03-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Am I missing something here? Every race I attend, the cars are backed into their pit. I don't know of too many fans that will walk to the back of the car to snoop around. If its the competition their worried about, what team leaves their car completely unattended! However, I would agree to a tarp covering up the rear open area, like the old days.

Josh Bayko
03-31-2015, 06:05 PM
Am I missing something here? Every race I attend, the cars are backed into their pit. I don't know of too many fans that will walk to the back of the car to snoop around. If its the competition their worried about, what team leaves their car completely unattended! However, I would agree to a tarp covering up the rear open area, like the old days.

This is true. Almost all cars Are backed into the pit stalls.

hpmaster
04-01-2015, 08:12 AM
You can get more hints on whats going on watching DOD videos and pics than you might think. DOD please extend my subscription for the plug.........

buster83
04-01-2015, 08:51 AM
back in the day mostly all had them, even drove onto track with them on for driver introduction then they would take them off.