PDA

View Full Version : Somebody from LaSalle

plunks7
04-01-2015, 03:05 PM
With the weather there predicting (NOAA) for Thurs and Fri. night. How well does the track deal with water run off? Is there sand under dirt? Just curious, might make Sat. show?

HoosierDirtFan
04-01-2015, 03:13 PM
With the weather there predicting (NOAA) for Thurs and Fri. night. How well does the track deal with water run off? Is there sand under dirt? Just curious, might make Sat. show?

From my experience they deal with it pretty well.

Captain Happy
04-01-2015, 03:34 PM
The track can handle quite a bit of rain, it's the pit area that seems to be more of a problem. Rain is expected so at this point keep your fingers crossed, and lets go RACING!!! Friday could be iffy, but Saturday is look pretty good now compared to earlier in the week! Warmer too HH25!!!! :cool:

Captain Happy
04-01-2015, 03:37 PM
From my experience they deal with it pretty well.

It's been very dry here to so it will take some rain with no problem... The field fires have been crazy so far this spring.

Barbecueboy
04-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Field fire?????

What exactly causes all of them to catch fire capt?

Control burns gone wrong or some inconsiderate dk bag flicking a butt out the window?

Captain Happy
04-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Corn stalk stubble from the prior years crop BBQ... It dry's out, the sun hits it, wind ignites it...

huskerdirt
04-01-2015, 05:12 PM
We've had a huge problem with field fires also around these parts.

You definitely can tell the difference between a control burn and field fire.

hpmaster
04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Corn stalk stubble from the prior years crop BBQ... It dry's out, the sun hits it, wind ignites it...

Captain Happy..... the chance of that happening is less likely than your Ford hero Jack Roush ending his flying career with an equal number of take offs and successful landings.

Highside Hustler25
04-01-2015, 05:54 PM

LaSalle seems to be one track that can take a lot of water. You should see how sloppy it is a hour or 2 before race time. I don't expect it to be a problem. They will probably even be watering the track by race time.

Barbecueboy
04-01-2015, 06:00 PM

Well dam, that sux.............friction from the stalks rubbing together from the wind is what I'm hearing you say????

Too costly to plow under after the season I guess??

Learned something new today.........it's a good day!

Barbecueboy
04-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Captain Happy..... the chance of that happening is less likely than your Ford hero Jack Roush ending his flying career with an equal number of take offs and successful landings.

His passengers exit the plane wondering if they actually landed or were shot down!!!

huskerdirt
04-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Well dam, that sux.............friction from the stalks rubbing together from the wind is what I'm hearing you say????

I don't know if it's a cost thing or not. I will say this has been one of driest springs we've had out here. It seemed like there were fire warnings about everyday. Most of time I see a controlled field burn right after the harvest. Or they disc/plow it under before the ground freezes. Depending on the weather sometimes those aren't an option. I know in my state you have to get a permit to do a control burn and if the winds pick up. They'll yank it before you can blink.

Here's an example of a fire warning or what they call red flag...

Captain Happy
04-01-2015, 08:48 PM
BBQ, has nothing to do with friction, or cost. It's as simple as striking a match to gas... The stubble (the uncut portion of the corn stalk) becomes so dry this time of year (especially this year with little to no rain), and the sun heats it up to a very high level it ignites. Add just a little wind and the next thing you know the whole dam field is burning!!! Crazy as hell, but it's natures way of putting it all aside to plant again. Most of the fields do get turned over but with crop rotation farmers leave some fields alone (no till) for a soybean crop. It's not rocket science, it's mother nature man!!! :)

Highside Hustler25
04-01-2015, 09:02 PM

LOL:DWhat kind of drugs were you doing when you posted this:confused:

Highside Hustler25
04-01-2015, 09:03 PM

You do know this is April 1st:D

Captain Happy
04-01-2015, 09:10 PM
LOL:DWhat kind of drugs were you doing when you posted this:confused:

I don't do that! Well, maybe corn silk, but in moderation only.. :p

Captain Happy
04-01-2015, 09:50 PM
This race should be called "The Field Fire 100" :cool:

Barbecueboy
04-02-2015, 10:35 AM
I don't know if it's a cost thing or not. I will say this has been one of driest springs we've had out here. It seemed like there were fire warnings about everyday. Most of time I see a controlled field burn right after the harvest. Or they disc/plow it under before the ground freezes. Depending on the weather sometimes those aren't an option. I know in my state you have to get a permit to do a control burn and if the winds pick up. They'll yank it before you can blink.

Here's an example of a fire warning or what they call red flag...

That's messed up...........I wonder just how many fires are started from dk bags that just flick their butts out the window and just litter at will because they smoke.

I see it all the time where I live also, luckily we aren't living amongst fields of kindling or we would be burning down all the time too......

Highside Hustler25
04-02-2015, 11:10 AM
I know in my state you have to get a permit to do a control burn and if the winds pick up. They'll yank it before you can blink

No such thing around these parts. Folks do controled burns here all the time. I have in the past. Have never heard of or gotten a permit for this. I have even had the fire dept show once. All they said was next time, feel free to call them in advance so they know.

CIRF
04-02-2015, 11:27 AM
We live relatively close to La Salle Speedway and as has been discussed there have been a bunch of field fires in the northern part of Illinois. It's tinder box dry for this time of year. I've seen the local volunteer fire department within 4 miles of home 3 times in the past 4 days putting out field fires.

What happens is farmers that practice no-till leave all the corn residue from the previous year in the fields untouched and plant soybeans, and sometimes corn, into those fields in the spring. As dry as it is around here the least little spark will get a whole field on fire and if there is a bit of a breeze blowing it'll spread with incredible speed.

Most often what happens is someone will light what is supposed to be a controlled burn and it'll spread so fast that they can't keep it contained and before the fire department can contain it there will be 30 or 40 acres engulfed in flames in 10 or 15 minutes.

Happens all the time around here during a dry spring.

Highside Hustler25
04-02-2015, 11:37 AM
We live relatively close to La Salle Speedway and as has been discussed there have been a bunch of field fires in the northern part of Illinois. It's tinder box dry for this time of year. I've seen the local volunteer fire department within 4 miles of home 3 times in the past 4 days putting out field fires.

What happens is farmers that practice no-till leave all the corn residue from the previous year in the fields untouched and plant soybeans, and sometimes corn, into those fields in the spring. As dry as it is around here the least little spark will get a whole field on fire and if there is a bit of a breeze blowing it'll spread with incredible speed.

Most often what happens is someone will light what is supposed to be a controlled burn and it'll spread so fast that they can't keep it contained and before the fire department can contain it there will be 30 or 40 acres engulfed in flames in 10 or 15 minutes.

Happens all the time around here during a dry spring.

Exactly. Most controlled burn offs are done along roadside ditches against fields so that when some moron throws a butt out, it doesn't ignite the whole field.

Still waiting for a explanation as to how corn stubble can suddenly combust without the presence of fire:confused:That's a good one.

Bubstr
04-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Full turn over plowing is pretty much a thing of the past. They chisel plow now days to open the field to suck up the winter moisture and it leaves trash but you keep the top soil, from roots that are left. It's not about cost. it's about dust storms of the 30s and the fact that a lot of the plains states have lost half of their top soil since farming there. When it's gone, it's gone and takes centuries to replace.

As a teen, I pulled that 10 bottom plow and disk and know where that top soil went. All of it went right to the collar of my shirt. lol Anyone that has done it, knows what I'm talking about.

That same black dirt makes good tracks. It can suck up a lot of water and keep it till it's needed at the top. The same reason it's good for farming.

Bubstr
04-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Exactly. Most controlled burn offs are done along roadside ditches against fields so that when some moron throws a butt out, it doesn't ignite the whole field.

Still waiting for a explanation as to how corn stubble can suddenly combust without the presence of fire:confused:That's a good one.

For the same reason the pig excrement steams, old or new, even in the winter. Spontaneous combustion. Simply put, organic material is fuel. Add oxygen, low flash point and a little heat. Waa Laa. Point, Chap stick Oxygen mask and a static spark from a mic, will give you permanent red lips. A polishing rag in the attic. Wen you have Fuel, oxygen and heat, you have oxidation. Increase either oxygen or heat and you have rapid oxidation, depends on flash point.

Highside Hustler25
04-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Full turn over plowing is pretty much a thing of the past. They chisel plow now days to open the field to suck up the winter moisture and it leaves trash but you keep the top soil, from roots that are left. It's not about cost. it's about dust storms of the 30s and the fact that a lot of the plains states have lost half of their top soil since farming there. When it's gone, it's gone and takes centuries to replace.

As a teen, I pulled that 10 bottom plow and disk and know where that top soil went. All of it went right to the collar of my shirt. lol Anyone that has done it, knows what I'm talking about.

That same black dirt makes good tracks. It can suck up a lot of water and keep it till it's needed at the top. The same reason it's good for farming.

You,ve got that right. Thank God for enclosed tractors.

The Illinois river, from up North by LaSalle to down Havana way has absorbed so much topsoil that it is pretty much worthless for any kind of boating activities. Most boating must be done from the narrow channel that barges negotiate. The rest of the river at pool stage is sometimes measured in inches, not feet.

Back to the topic of LaSalle and rain, I've had maybe 1 tenth of a inch 20 miles South of the track. Rain has moved out and it appears to be dry for the next 6-8 hours. Today was when the heavier amounts were predicted, so thats a good sign. I got a good feelin about this race.

Highside Hustler25
04-02-2015, 12:09 PM
For the same reason the pig excrement steams, old or new, even in the winter. Spontaneous combustion. Simply put, organic material is fuel. Add oxygen, low flash point and a little heat. Waa Laa. Point, Chap stick Oxygen mask and a static spark from a mic, will give you permanent red lips. A polishing rag in the attic. Wen you have Fuel, oxygen and heat, you have oxidation. Increase either oxygen or heat and you have rapid oxidation, depends on flash point.

I'll just make this easy. Have you ever witnessed a combined corn field ignite without a flame, spark, or bolt of lightening? Just a yes or no will do:)

Barbecueboy
04-02-2015, 12:16 PM
I'll just make this easy. Have you ever witnessed a combined corn field ignite without a flame, spark, or bolt of lightening? Just a yes or no will do:)

Good luck with that.........

Bubstr
04-02-2015, 12:38 PM

No, but they wouldn't allow that short of a reply. Have you ever been standing there when that bolt of lightening struck? Yes or No will do.

Barbecueboy
04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
I have never seen that one either bubster..........but I have seen a hypocrite choke on a handful of chill pills though.

Barbecueboy
04-02-2015, 01:14 PM
No, but they wouldn't allow that short of a reply. Have you ever been standing there when that bolt of lightening struck? Yes or No will do.

And if you can't make that short of a reply, then how would you expect HH to do the same???

More hypocrisy from the lead hypocrite.............all hh did was disagree.

Somebody call the whaaaaaaaaambulance, there is about to be another choking victim.

Captain Happy
04-02-2015, 03:13 PM

Yes, was mowing a few years back and seen smoke coming from the middle of a cut corn feild. Nobody was there, not lightning, maybe a butt was dropped from outer space :) Don't see how this has you puzzled, but anyway Bubster called it... Spontaneous combustion! Spontaneous combustion, 3rd grade science class ole buddy... :cool:

Here's a brief discretion... Spontaneous combustion... Is a type of combustion which occurs by self heating (increase in temperature due to exothermic internal reactions), followed by thermal runaway (self heating which rapidly accelerates to high temperatures) and finally, ignition.

Like I said... Mother Nature Man.... :)"

Captain Happy
04-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Rained here today so the fields are calm, but for the last week we have hade many more field fire in a long time. We needed that!!! Now I hope we can get the races in at La Salle as scheduled.

Hey HH, be carefull not to bundle up to tighty or POOF you will go up in smoke... Spontaneous Combustion!!! :D

Captain Happy
04-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Friday is still iffy but better!! Tonight's test and tune looks real good, and Saturday... Time to go racing boys!!!! 0% chance of rain, sunny 61 for the high, and 40 for the low. Little windy tho so bundle up... but not to tight!!!!! :D

Highside Hustler25
04-02-2015, 04:07 PM
no, but they wouldn't allow that short of a reply. Have you ever been standing there when that bolt of lightening struck? Yes or no will do.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Highside Hustler25
04-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Yes, was mowing a few years back and seen smoke coming from the middle of a cut corn feild. Nobody was there, not lightning, maybe a butt was dropped from outer space Don't see how this has you puzzled, but anyway Bubster called it... Spontaneous combustion! Spontaneous combustion, 3rd grade science class ole buddy...

Here's a brief discretion... Spontaneous combustion... Is a type of combustion which occurs by self heating (increase in temperature due to exothermic internal reactions), followed by thermal runaway (self heating which rapidly accelerates to high temperatures) and finally, ignition.

I'm callin Bullschnitz on that one:)

Rained here today so the fields are calm, but for the last week we have hade many more field fire in a long time. We needed that!!! Now I hope we can get the races in at La Salle as scheduled.

Hey HH, be carefull not to bundle up to tighty or POOF you will go up in smoke... Spontaneous Combustion!!! :D

ha ha, good one

Captain Happy
04-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Call it what ya will HH, but you can do the research and see for yourself it ain't bs, I wish it was tho bro... :cool:

Captain Happy
04-02-2015, 04:31 PM
yes!!!!!!!!!!!

So you're that guy from the Midwest who lived through a lightning strike!!!! WOW!! You're one lucky nugget!! Xtra crispy!!!!!:D

Highside Hustler25
04-02-2015, 04:35 PM
So you're that guy from the Midwest who lived through a lightning strike!!!! WOW!! You're one lucky nugget!! Xtra crispy!!!!!:D

yep, thats a story for another day. time to hit the road

Captain Happy
04-02-2015, 04:38 PM
yep, thats a story for another day. time to hit the road

Heading that way to in a bit!!! YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

plunks7
04-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Yes, was mowing a few years back and seen smoke coming from the middle of a cut corn feild. Nobody was there, not lightning, maybe a butt was dropped from outer space :) Don't see how this has you puzzled, but anyway Bubster called it... Spontaneous combustion! Spontaneous combustion, 3rd grade science class ole buddy... :cool:

Is this classified under F A R T? You all know what happens when you light one of those babies. There goes the neighbor hood or field in this case. :) Weather does look good thanks Captain Happy!

Barbecueboy
04-02-2015, 05:05 PM
If you watch closely, your about to see DC spontaneously combust very soon!!!!!

Captain Happy
04-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Is this classified under F A R T? You all know what happens when you light one of those babies. There goes the neighbor hood or field in this case. :) Weather does look good thanks Captain Happy!

Yep, gonna be a good two days of racing!!!! Clear sky's all the way through Sunday. Still a slight chance of rain tomorrow but that will be gone mid afternoon. Gonna be a bit cold tomorrow night so bundle up HH25!!! Sat looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Captain Happy
04-02-2015, 09:22 PM
You all pumped about this or WHAT!!!! Lets hear it!!!! :cool:

t3r3e3
04-02-2015, 10:54 PM
BBQ, has nothing to do with friction, or cost. It's as simple as striking a match to gas... The stubble (the uncut portion of the corn stalk) becomes so dry this time of year (especially this year with little to no rain), and the sun heats it up to a very high level it ignites. Add just a little wind and the next thing you know the whole dam field is burning!!! Crazy as hell, but it's natures way of putting it all aside to plant again. Most of the fields do get turned over but with crop rotation farmers leave some fields alone (no till) for a soybean crop. It's not rocket science, it's mother nature man!!! :)

As most farmers on here will tell you, no till actually involves using a no till seed drill to plant crops, and is usually done in concert with a winter cover crop. You are referring to leaving a field fallow/ crop rotation, which is far more common. FWIW I use a no till drill at work for wildlife habitat enhancement. As for the field burning/ spontaneous combustion, I have a veeerrrry hard time buying what your selling. Its far more likely someone is igniting and walking away, a piece of glass is catching sunlight and concentrating it, or equipment is starting the fire. I've worked prescribed fire in several states for about ten years. Never heard of spontaneous ignition of corn stubble. Even Southern Rough (palmetto, gallberry, yaupon), chaparral, tall grass prairie, and pine barrens don't spontaneously ignite from sun exposure, and they're far more flammable than corn stubble.

As for the race, I hope LaSalle gets it in. I'll be at the Pond and Florence.

CIRF
04-03-2015, 07:55 AM
As most farmers on here will tell you, no till actually involves using a no till seed drill to plant crops, and is usually done in concert with a winter cover crop. You are referring to leaving a field fallow/ crop rotation, which is far more common. FWIW I use a no till drill at work for wildlife habitat enhancement. As for the field burning/ spontaneous combustion, I have a veeerrrry hard time buying what your selling. Its far more likely someone is igniting and walking away, a piece of glass is catching sunlight and concentrating it, or equipment is starting the fire. I've worked prescribed fire in several states for about ten years. Never heard of spontaneous ignition of corn stubble. Even Southern Rough (palmetto, gallberry, yaupon), chaparral, tall grass prairie, and pine barrens don't spontaneously ignite from sun exposure, and they're far more flammable than corn stubble.

As for the race, I hope LaSalle gets it in. I'll be at the Pond and Florence.

Add me to the list of skeptics who find it extremely difficult to believe that there is spontaneous combustion happening in harvested corn fields. I was born, raised, lived and worked on the Illinois prairie from day 1 'till this minute and have NEVER heard of a field of corn fodder ignited due to spontaneous combustion. I have also never heard of a field of corn fodder being ignited by a lightning strike, although logic would dictate that a lightning strike ignition is entirely feasible.