PDA

View Full Version : Peoria Speedway and their silly new rule

ptown
04-06-2015, 11:46 AM
I hear they have a new rule where you can't leave and go to your car, if you do you have to pay another 13 bucks to get back in. They say it's because people are going out in the parking lot and getting drunk then coming back in and starting fights, I find that hard to believe and think it's because the want to sell more beer to people stuck inside and unable to go get there own during intermissions. I know I would never go to a track that wouldn't let me go to my car and get a blanket, coat or whatever else I needed. I think they are making a big mistake, all out of towners you have been warned.

Highside Hustler25
04-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Really? Quick fix. Hello Fairbury. And I'm 15 min. from Peoria.

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 01:11 PM
So I guess checking them at the gate to ensure they aren't noticeably drunk prior to coming back in is out of the question????
Let's just penalize everybody..........

Three words for ya..........see ya Peoria.

Kwd1253
04-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Yeah BBQ one would think they wouldn't let drunks back in once they left. This not the first track has done this. But I can see why they doing it if they having that kind of problems. All it takes a couple bad apple make other people punish for it. At same time I don't see no problem with this. They need make money on food and drinks. if it's going be a cold that night bring all the stuff you going need. If you need ear plugs or glasses bring them with you.

J20in1st
04-06-2015, 01:38 PM
You must not travel much. LOTS of tracks do this

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Actually, I travel a lot!!!

I just travel prepared, plus am normally in the pits anyway........

dirtwriter
04-06-2015, 02:22 PM

Oh really, which ones? name them

Mud Packer
04-06-2015, 02:36 PM

I have been lucky enough to travel to over 100 speedways and I have never had a track do this. There are other ways to combat the issue rather than punishing all of the fans. They probably will accomplish their goal though when they start losing fans and end up closing the track. For everyone's sake, let's hope that doesn't happen.

highgroove
04-06-2015, 02:44 PM

I have never been to one ...I have a motorhome and I go out to use bathroom or to get warm or in between races...I follow all summernational races and been to many more tracks and have NEVER been told I can't go out without paying to get back in...I was at Lasalle last weekend and went out several times to warm up....they gave me a blue card to get back in when you return....you CAN"T punish all the people because of the action of a few drunks....I guess that makes putting your blanket down at 4 o'clock and then going back out to the motorhome until race starts out of the question at Peoria Speedway....I think it's a mistake...

Hollis
04-06-2015, 02:54 PM
you also have to open your bag or purse, water candy bars etc. has to be thrown away

Clayton_Wetter
04-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Well I guess people will have to "get tanked" in the parking lot first before entering!! By God that'll show em!!!

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 03:27 PM
you also have to open your bag or purse, water candy bars etc. has to be thrown away

So if I have to go out to my rv and get an insulin shot( which would be in my refrigerator since clearly I'm not allowed to bring a cooler in Peoria) to prevent me from going into anaphylactic shock, then they are going to charge me another entry fee to get back in after I went out to save my own life.

Yep, makes perfect sense to me..................

I look at it like this..............if they are worried about me , you or anybody else sneaking in a candy bar or a certain kind of water or soda that they like because they are afraid of what they are going to loose in sales at the snack bar.
Then they are already in trouble with their money and won't be around much longer to try and improve what they have clearly screwed up already.

They should start frisking people to make sure that they aren't sneaking in any common sense.......I would start with the promotors and owners first.

smoothoperator32
04-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Do not let this happen to your local race track, please support motorsports in your area.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1xyiJ0Fzt-s/VSE4xEK6D1I/AAAAAAAAAQs/8CAokmU5eYY/s1600/i94%2BCorner%2B2.jpg

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Bad owners and or bad promoters making bad decisions are the primary reasons that MOST tracks close to begin with.........I can't think of a single track that is being run correctly ever closing , unless the guy running it or owning it just decided to retire or passed away.

huskerdirt
04-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Now........ Just about every track I've been to do this. Heck, I'm surprise when they don't.

ptown
04-06-2015, 03:58 PM
I agree with not letting you bring any food or drinks in. I've been to at least 25 different tracks in the Midwest and Peoria is the only one I ever seen not let you leave and come back in.

I think Jason Plumer is doing a great job with the track but this is a huge mistake.

Clayton_Wetter
04-06-2015, 04:04 PM
So if I have to go out to my rv and get an insulin shot( which would be in my refrigerator since clearly I'm not allowed to bring a cooler in Peoria) to prevent me from going into anaphylactic shock, then they are going to charge me another entry fee to get back in after I went out to save my own life.

Yep, makes perfect sense to me..................

I look at it like this..............if they are worried about me , you or anybody else sneaking in a candy bar or a certain kind of water or soda that they like because they are afraid of what they are going to loose in sales at the snack bar.
Then they are already in trouble with their money and won't be around much longer to try and improve what they have clearly screwed up already.

They should start frisking people to make sure that they aren't sneaking in any common sense.......I would start with the promotors and owners first.

Is that a Snickers bar in your pants pocket or are you just happy????

Better yet: Are those real or are they just Grapefruits????

sasteveo023
04-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Here is a clue if you don't like what you "heard", Stay away from Peoria.Just be a keyboard jockey and continue hating Peoria. Great news Spoon River will be open soon and you can pay to bring your cooler in EACH time you come back in with it. Waiting for that to blow up and cause issues.

kidrock
04-06-2015, 05:49 PM
How about a sign at the front gate that states, if you fight at the track you will arrested and you will be kicked out for the remainder of the year. No matter if you are in the stands or in the pits.

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Here is a clue if you don't like what you "heard", Stay away from Peoria.Just be a keyboard jockey and continue hating Peoria. Great news Spoon River will be open soon and you can pay to bring your cooler in EACH time you come back in with it. Waiting for that to blow up and cause issues.

Already on my to do list Steve............

Good luck with that new re enter rule.........hope it doesnt add to the misery and put it BACK under water.

Does that track not have a law enforcement presence????? I would think a few hot laps around the parking lot from deputy dog would curtail the drinking in the parking lot scenario as was described being the reason for the rule itself.

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 05:55 PM
How about a sign at the front gate that states, if you fight at the track you will arrested and you will be kicked out for the remainder of the year. No matter if you are in the stands or in the pits.

All rise.............common sense has just entered the courtroom!!!!!

Nice post rock......it's kinda how it's done at a lot of the tracks that I have ever been to on a Saturday night( dirt or asphalt)

The troublemakers get punished, not the people who act right.

kidrock
04-06-2015, 05:58 PM
All rise.............common sense has just entered the courtroom!!!!!

Nice post rock......it's kinda how it's done at a lot of the tracks that I have ever been to on a Saturday night( dirt or asphalt)

The troublemakers get punished, not the people who act right.

Yep why punish those that do what's right. They are just out to have a good time and have a few beers without causing any trouble.

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 06:18 PM
About thirty years ago I met a business owner who was very saavy ...........he gave me his card , and like with most business cards, I filed it away deep in my wallet.

This particular guy ( and his staff) were very good at customer service along with making his business very customer friendly ..........he wasn't the cheapest guy in town, but went on to become a very big player in his arena of business and I always tried to patronize him when possible.

One day when cleaning out my wallet,I ran across his card and was about to throw it away and then I flipped it over to the back side , and the back side read the following..........

WHY CUSTOMERS LEAVE.......
1%.....die
3%.....move away
5%....because of other friendships or relationships from similar businesses
9%....for competitive reasons( better prices somewhere else)
14%...product dissatisfaction
68%....because of the poor attitude or bad service from ONE employee.

It's still in my wallet( laminated for quick reference) to this day.........

highgroove
04-06-2015, 06:34 PM

yea...and that's why sometimes their isn't even 500 fans in the stands there at Spoon....

plunks7
04-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Oh really, which ones? name them

dirtwriter : I can name one 34 raceway in Burlington IA. They started doing this 2 years ago. Not being a smart ass. Just thought I would point that out. :)

$bill
04-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Spoon had the rule for a while......as did J ville years back....Jason is trying it this way to change some folks who attend Peoria.....Some times it gets pretty weird there ......Might work Might not........I hope he can make it work...................BB

GEAR_HEAD
04-06-2015, 06:53 PM

I don't know where you're from, but no, lots of tracks don't do this.

drtrkr244
04-06-2015, 07:04 PM
I don't know where you're from, but no, lots of tracks don't do this.

What he said ^^^^^....I can just see an official telling me I cant go to my truck after spending $30-45 for a pit pass!

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 07:16 PM
I could hear an official telling me that .....................ONCE.

Scott Boesel
04-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Sorry but I travel all over the Usa for late models races and have been to a bunch of tracks all over the country along with every major dirt late model race and have not seen this once sorry but I highly disagree

Captain Happy
04-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Don't you boys pay no mind to ole J20, that boy ain't right:D Also... I'd be very skeptical about what the original poster has to say, he's just a clown on acid!!!! Lmao....

If this is true however, it's BS!!!! How stupid can ya get??? Also if true, I'm canceling my trip down there this weekend, and any other time for that matter, but like I said...;)

Waldo
04-06-2015, 09:10 PM
People won't go if this is true, most people could give a da** if a dirt track closes or not, they will just do something else, this is B.S. Just the way it is.

dirtwriter
04-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Don't you boys pay no mind to ole J20, that boy ain't right:D Also... I'd be very skeptical about what the original poster has to say, he's just a clown on acid!!!! Lmao....

If this is true however, it's BS!!!! How stupid can ya get??? Also if true, I'm canceling my trip down there this weekend, and any other time for that matter, but like I said...;)

It's true. Look at Jason Plumers Facebook page. They are also going through everyone's bags and removing water bottles, candy, or any other food item. $o I wonder what$ making them do thi$. Been going to dirt tracks for 30 years and have never seen this before

drano
04-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Next they will want to do a cavity search, where will it stop.

Barbecueboy
04-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Confiscating candy bars and water bottles ????

If true,Drunkards in the parking lots are the least of their worries

Good luck to all.

Captain Happy
04-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Spoon River is the only place that I know of that does or did something similar. They let ya go out but if you come back with more beer... they charge you for it!! Just ridicules...

kidrock
04-06-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm just curious would people pay more to get in if Tracks did not provide concessions and let you bring your own in. And if one gets to drunk and causes problems should they be banned from coming in?

The margin for profit or even breaking even could come down to concession at some tracks. I know some are thinking that's stupid but, really it's not. If you could get promoters to tell you the truth you may be surprised and then understand why they don't want you brining in your own.

Thunderbolt27
04-06-2015, 10:38 PM
Captain Happy, I don't see anything wrong with Spoon charging $5 to bring a cooler in every time through the gate. Whats that $1.20 a beer for a 6-pack. Its better than not bring any beer in at all since they can't sell it because their in a dry township. Most of the time I attend Peoria but after last Saturday Nights ordeal I will be spending my money at Spoon or Fairbury.

427c.i.
04-06-2015, 10:39 PM
2014: Go to the Bohlander with a group of 15 people. Arrive early since we are all coming from different towns. Go in and save some seats and return to parking lot. Drink some beers, listen to some tunes, laugh, get caught up and have some social time before the races start. Pay for entry into the track, buy plenty more beer and food inside the gate. (DD's are in our group) Watch some races, buy more beer and food, have fun with friends, party responsibly and head to pits after races for some beers and laughs with our racing buddies.

2015: Don't need the hassle...wait until Farmer City next Saturday.

fryefan
04-07-2015, 12:05 AM
34 Raceway in Burlington, IA has the same policy.

Hoosier
04-07-2015, 03:18 AM
The Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway did this last fall for their big show. The minimum wage ladies at the gate were only doing what they were told to do. Several were arguing with them, and finally just went out anyway. There was no problem getting back in - but there were a lot of annoyed fans. This is a speedway struggling to survive and begging for help every off-season.

lokwaidid
04-07-2015, 03:55 AM
this is not exactly the same , but similar. last year we went to lernerville for the first time for a world of outlaw show.. paid admission and went in to look around to see where we would like to sit. we decided and i went back out to get reserved seats and was told that reserved seats were only sold when you buy your admission ticket. so, i would have to buy another admission ticket if i wanted reserved seats. i thought that was the most stupid thing ever.

Captain Happy
04-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Captain Happy, I don't see anything wrong with Spoon charging $5 to bring a cooler in every time through the gate. Whats that $1.20 a beer for a 6-pack. Its better than not bring any beer in at all since they can't sell it because their in a dry township. Most of the time I attend Peoria but after last Saturday Nights ordeal I will be spending my money at Spoon or Fairbury.

What the same hell they doin' charging folks to bring beer into a their track that's sitting smack dab in a dry township??? :)

Highside Hustler25
04-07-2015, 05:08 AM
What the same hell they doin' charging folks to bring beer into a their track that's sitting smack dab in a dry township??? :)

Fulton Co. is not a dry township

Highside Hustler25
04-07-2015, 05:13 AM
Does that track not have a law enforcement presence????? I would think a few hot laps around the parking lot from deputy dog would curtail the drinking in the parking lot scenario as was described being the reason for the rule itself.

Peoria has a Peo. Co. deputy at the track every Sat. night. Guess that's not the answer.

Highside Hustler25
04-07-2015, 05:16 AM
yea...and that's why sometimes their isn't even 500 fans in the stands there at Spoon....

No doubt. Lets not compare the "best track/worst run track into this equation. Spoon is not the answer here folks, try Fairbury.

Josh Bayko
04-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Bad owners and or bad promoters making bad decisions are the primary reasons that MOST tracks close to begin with.........I can't think of a single track that is being run correctly ever closing , unless the guy running it or owning it just decided to retire or passed away.

I've seen well run tracks close for other reasons. Mostly urban sprawl and unsupportive towns and residents.

rc24
04-07-2015, 07:42 AM
I think the deal with Spoon River is the lady that owned the land did not want alcohol sold at the track and in the agreement there where not allowed to sell beer there. Not sure if that is true or not. Just something i have heard through the years. When I bring my Kids to the track it never fails I or one of the kids forget there hearing protection or jacket or something. I sure hope this is not the case with Peoria. If you come back up to the gate and are visible drunk i could see where they have the right not not allow you back onto the property for insurance reasons.

Barbecueboy
04-07-2015, 07:43 AM
I've seen well run tracks close for other reasons. Mostly urban sprawl and unsupportive towns and residents.

Exactly why I said was the primary reason..........there are other reasons like you mentioned, but most closings are a direct result of poor decision making and a bad business plan...........like any other business.

Barbecueboy
04-07-2015, 07:43 AM
I think the deal with Spoon River is the lady that owned the land did not want alcohol sold at the track and in the agreement there where not allowed to sell beer there. Not sure if that is true or not. Just something i have heard through the years. When I bring my Kids to the track it never fails I or one of the kids forget there hearing protection or jacket or something. I sure hope this is not the case with Peoria. If you come back up to the gate and are visible drunk i could see where they have the right not not allow you back onto the property for insurance reasons.

Exactly.............

BadlandsBandit12
04-07-2015, 07:48 AM
WOW that is totally lame, I would not go back either. Sometimes you NEED to go back to your car, charge phones and change glasses. Get extra blanket or jacket. I want to be comfortable but I do not want to carry everything in if not needed. Wake up Promoter of Peoria.....

Just because someone got drunk and started a fight does not mean that one person should wreck it for everyone else.

W2Racing09
04-07-2015, 08:25 AM

What an ignorant post. How long do you think the track would last if everyone took your advice?

That is the problem with a lot of race tracks. They think if they have a dirt oval with a place to sit people are going to show up. I know of many examples of fans and drivers passing by places closer to home that they may like more to go elsewhere just because of poor or nonexistent customer service. Instead of the track or someone associated with the track coming on here and explaining the reason for the rules change they let tools like sasteve here to be the only support for the track.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that race tracks are making money hand over fist, but they are still a business who needs to keep customers happy in order to continue to survive.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Captain Happy
04-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Fulton Co. is not a dry township

Thanks, I can take your word on that! I thought something wasn't right there. Dry township? Isn't allways referred to as Dry County?? Never haerd of it being singled down that way.

Thunderbolt27
04-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Well said W2Racing09 and Spoon is in a dry township. (Liverpool Township) Also I thought this thread was about Peoria not any other track? I guess 4m hasn't change much.

Barbecueboy
04-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Well said W2Racing09 and Spoon is in a dry township. (Liverpool Township) Also I thought this thread was about Peoria not any other track? I guess 4m hasn't change much.

Hasn't changed much since you joined 3 days ago????

Plunks........looks like your UNDER bet was indeed a wise one.

W2Racing09
04-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Hasn't changed much since you joined 3 days ago????

Plunks........looks like your UNDER bet was indeed a wise one.

Whoever it is, what does it matter if they are attemping to be a decent poster. If they are not going to make obnoxious threads and derail every thread then I don't mind anyone being here.

Barbecueboy
04-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Whoever it is, what does it matter if they are attemping to be a decent poster. If they are not going to make obnoxious threads and derail every thread then I don't mind anyone being here.

Maybe it was just a fraudian slip..........but thunderbolt eludes to 4 m ( and nothing much changing) as if he has been here before.

Kind of strange to make a post like that since he is brand new to the site..........my suspicion though, is that he has been here before.........many times.

Hope it's really a newbie that isn't part of the " classic failures"........that would be refreshing.

W2Racing09
04-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Maybe it was just a fraudian slip..........but thunderbolt eludes to 4 m ( and nothing much changing) as if he has been here before.

Kind of strange to make a post like that since he is brand new to the site..........my suspicion though, is that he has been here before.........many times.

Hope it's really a newbie that isn't part of the " classic failures"........that would be refreshing.

Even so, a quick look through his (3) posts and you can see they are making worthwhile posts.

I say even if it is a past member if they are trying to be a productive member of the forum then let them be.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Mud Packer
04-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Next they will want to do a cavity search, where will it stop.

I would suspect somewhere in the small intestine, unless of course they use a long handled probe.

timmayb
04-07-2015, 03:40 PM
It wouldn't do the track any good to come on here and explain, everybody has already formed their opinion in concrete and overblown it.

Certain situations saturday night people were allowed to go to their cars from what i understand. Also, we aren't talking about 1 or 2 people, they would run out of 75 re-entry passes on some nights. To give you a rough idea of just how many people were outside in the parking lot. Obviously not all to go get drunk, but out of 75 how many were there?

Many of the fans were very positive about the whole deal because the experience in the stands was more enjoyable without people way beyond what they should have been served in alcohol roaming around causing problems.

Barbecueboy
04-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Even so, a quick look through his (3) posts and you can see they are making worthwhile posts.

I say even if it is a past member if they are trying to be a productive member of the forum then let them be.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Well, what you say and what I say really doesn't matter in this instance...........it's what the mods have to say.

And if in fact this is who I suspect it may be, then the mods have spoken..........again, and again,and again and again and again.........etc.

Time will tell ..........like always.

SFrancisFan15
04-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Thanks,
Jeff.

Jeffrey for ONCE I agree with you!

Barbecueboy
04-07-2015, 05:00 PM
It wouldn't do the track any good to come on here and explain, everybody has already formed their opinion in concrete and overblown it.

Certain situations saturday night people were allowed to go to their cars from what i understand. Also, we aren't talking about 1 or 2 people, they would run out of 75 re-entry passes on some nights. To give you a rough idea of just how many people were outside in the parking lot. Obviously not all to go get drunk, but out of 75 how many were there?

Many of the fans were very positive about the whole deal because the experience in the stands was more enjoyable without people way beyond what they should have been served in alcohol roaming around causing problems.

I think it would have the exact opposite effect .................if someone from the track that is a credible representative of the track would come on here( or wherever, fakebook etc.) and stated exactly what the policy is , then it would put an end to the speculative assumptions based on what is being said about the new rule.

And again, no deputies or track staff able to make a sweep of the parking lot to make sure no one is getting out of hand????

Highside Hustler25
04-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Well said W2Racing09 and Spoon is in a dry township.

Are you sure about that?

Clayton_Wetter
04-07-2015, 06:27 PM

Yep, if you go to McDonalds and get raw hamburgers consistently, do you just keep going there???

Clayton_Wetter
04-07-2015, 06:33 PM
About thirty years ago I met a business owner who was very saavy ...........he gave me his card , and like with most business cards, I filed it away deep in my wallet.

This particular guy ( and his staff) were very good at customer service along with making his business very customer friendly ..........he wasn't the cheapest guy in town, but went on to become a very big player in his arena of business and I always tried to patronize him when possible.

One day when cleaning out my wallet,I ran across his card and was about to throw it away and then I flipped it over to the back side , and the back side read the following..........

WHY CUSTOMERS LEAVE.......
1%.....die
3%.....move away
5%....because of other friendships or relationships from similar businesses
9%....for competitive reasons( better prices somewhere else)
14%...product dissatisfaction
68%....because of the poor attitude or bad service from ONE employee.

It's still in my wallet( laminated for quick reference) to this day.........

Don't you miss the days when there would ALWAYS be some ridiculous reply to your posts by the sidewalk stumbler???:)

Clayton_Wetter
04-07-2015, 06:45 PM

Actions do have consequences??? And so far for the last two years they have always been the same. Do we reward this kind of conduct without question?

Captain Happy
04-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Are you sure about that?

That's what I'm saying. Thunderbolt insists The Spoon is on dry (no alcohol) land... if so, how it it they can charge you to drink there???

highgroove
04-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Spoon River doesn't have alcohol because the original owner of the land it's on, Morey Denny's mother, made a promise if she gave the land for the track , the wouldn't ever sell alcohol...and the family is honoring her wish... I always said that if Spoon River Speedway sold beer , they would be the finest and busiest racing facility in the central Ill .... they have everything else, just no beer.....oh yea...and they need better food...

Captain Happy
04-07-2015, 07:16 PM
What's the difference between selling it or allowing with payment in? Hows is this honoring any wishes?

Highside Hustler25
04-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Spoon River doesn't have alcohol because the original owner of the land it's on, Morey Denny's mother, made a promise if she gave the land for the track , the wouldn't ever sell alcohol...and the family is honoring her wish... I always said that if Spoon River Speedway sold beer , they would be the finest and busiest racing facility in the central Ill .... they have everything else, just no beer.....oh yea...and they need better food...

This is the exact same story I have heard over the years. I have a friend that owned a bar about 5 miles away. I did not think there were any dry county's, or townships allowed in Illinois. Maybe I'm wrong.
Spoon is a great facility. I've had personal issues that have kept me away except for SummerNationals but have seen some great races there.

And your right about the food too.

Highside Hustler25
04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
What's the difference between selling it or allowing with payment in? Hows is this honoring any wishes?

We always drank in the parking lot. Was told it was OK as others that were camping were doing the same. No one ever said a word.

Barbecueboy
04-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Don't you miss the days when there would ALWAYS be some ridiculous reply to your posts by the sidewalk stumbler???:)

The sidewalk stumbler?????that is a riot Clayton.

I expect more ridulousness to rain down soon..........the thunder clouds are forming.

And sooner or later, out of nowhere................a bolt of stupidity will crash down on 4 m like so many turbulent storms before.

drtrkr244
04-07-2015, 07:28 PM

I expect more ridulousness to rain down soon..........the thunder clouds are forming.

And sooner or later, out of nowhere................a bolt of stupidity will crash down on 4 m like so many turbulent storms before.

Hopefully, the RAINMAKER(mods) will wash away all that stupidity, and continually RAIN on their parade!

Captain Happy
04-07-2015, 08:00 PM
We always drank in the parking lot. Was told it was OK as others that were camping were doing the same. No one ever said a word.

Dry or not the beer still flows at The Spoon.... I think It's a bit weird tho the way they are going about it. What really matters is that The Spoon is a great place, and does produce some really fast action!!!

Peoria as well, that place can be super fast and 2 and 3 lane all night, but wtf are they thinking with this incredibly moronic rule???? When somebody needs to get to their car for forgotten medication or whatever... How is it doing anyone any good by charging them to get back in??? I'm thinking they are shooting themselves in both feet here!!!

Barbecueboy
04-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Dry or not the beer still flows at The Spoon.... I think It's a bit weird tho the way they are going about it. What really matters is that The Spoon is a great place, and does produce some really fast action!!!

Peoria as well, that place can be super fast and 2 and 3 lane all night, but wtf are they thinking with this incredibly moronic rule???? When somebody needs to get to their car for forgotten medication or whatever... How is it doing anyone any good by charging them to get back in??? I'm thinking they are shooting themselves in both feet here!!!

They will figure out a better solution...............everything I've heard about the current promoter has been pretty positive and have always heard the racing there is good.

This is clearly a bad knee jerk reaction to a problem that could most likely be fixed with a little more staff and or law enforcement presence........if the drinking in the parking lot IS what they are really trying to curtail.

And don't know, but will wager a guess on the confiscation of food and drink at the gate..............if folks are bringing in enough food and drink to make the track start banning it, then the food and drink they offer at the track is either un appealing or too expensive or both.

ILRaceFan007
04-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Three 24 ounce beers at average track: $15-$18 dollars, for 72 ounces of beer.

One six pack of beer purchased at gas station: $6 or $7.
Price to take cooler into Spoon River, holding one six pack: $5.
Total cost for 72 ounces of beer that way: $11 or $12.

Not to mention it stays colder.

But yeah, go ahead and bitch about paying to bring a cooler into Spoon. And if you need TWELVE beers during one racing show? Dude, the money isn't your main problem.

ILRaceFan007
04-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Spoon River doesn't sell beer because the township it is in is a "dry" township. Doesn't mean you can't charge people to bring in a cooler, just means you cannot directly sell the beer in the township. Don't think it has anything to do with anyone's mother, but that's a great story.

plunks7
04-08-2015, 12:17 AM

Thanks BBQboy for clearing this storm up. I get sceered when a thunder and lighting storm shows up! :)

Dante Toledo, OH
04-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Three 24 ounce beers at average track: $15-$18 dollars, for 72 ounces of beer.One six pack of beer purchased at gas station: $6 or $7.Price to take cooler into Spoon River, holding one six pack: $5. Total cost for 72 ounces of beer that way: $11 or $12.Not to mention it stays colder. But yeah, go ahead and bitch about paying to bring a cooler into Spoon. And if you need TWELVE beers during one racing show? Dude, the money isn't your main problem.Not arguing, but i live in Ohio. Never heard of a track charging extra to bring in a cooler. Around me the tracks that sell beer do not allow you to bring in a cooler. The tracks that don't let you carry in can beer.

FromIowa
04-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Just checked the Peoria website. Nothing about the new policy. I would be very upset after making the drive and then finding out they have changed the policy.

Josh Bayko
04-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Not arguing, but i live in Ohio. Never heard of a track charging extra to bring in a cooler. Around me the tracks that sell beer do not allow you to bring in a cooler. The tracks that don't let you carry in can beer.

The tracks around me that sell beer let you carry in a cooler, but it can't have any beer in it, for obvious reasons.

highgroove
04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Just checked the Peoria website. Nothing about the new policy. I would be very upset after making the drive and then finding out they have changed the policy.

heres from their facebook page...

Peoria Speedway ... I guess we shoulda waited til somebody got killed to do anything about the problem... Having a liquor license is a big responsibility one not to be taken lightly... With a system of letting people pass through the gates and go out and get drunk at will... My bartenders cannot control someone's level of intoxication... Which is one of a liquor license holders jobs and responsibilities to public safety last night we had no arguments no fights no security concerns at all and I actually slept well last night knowing we served people alcohol in a responsible manner and no fans or innocent families got killed on the way home .. And just maybe some families actually got come out enjoy a nice family facility without having their family outing ruined by some obnoxious drunk person.. Thank you for everyone that attended and that understands that we are trying to make Peoria Speedway family-friendly once again... And a safe place for all

Like · Reply · 13 · April 5 at 12:05pm

CIRF
04-08-2015, 12:37 PM
highgroove, I went to Peoria Speedway Facebook page and found nothing mentioning the new pass-out rules.

Am I on the wrong page? Post a link to the page you referred to.

Thanks.

highgroove
04-08-2015, 12:37 PM
To Peoria Speedway...Maybe just do this on your weekly show...Because I think you are trying to get some bigger races in here, this might not be good idea if you want folks from out of town who travel to the races in campers and motorhomes to abide by this rule....I being one who travels all over to see dirt track racing in a motorhome, it is common practice to go back to your camper or motorhome several times at a event for various reasons....some go back to use the toilet, some go back during intermission instead of sitting in the stands, some go back when it's cold to warm up or get another jacket or something to keep warms. Some only come to watch the Super Late Models and go back to camper until the main events start....Some like to go up early and mark their seat and then go back till races start....and yes they might have a beer or 2 while there back there....But this rule I think would deter some of these folks from coming and spending the night for a Peoria program....Especially on 2 day events like your having in Sept this year....I do understand not wanting folks to bring their own food in, but I would like to see 100 motorhomes sitting in your parking lot at big events like their are at Fairbury and Farmer City...The more popular your track becomes , the more folks will come....

CIRF
04-08-2015, 12:48 PM
hg, do you have a link address to the Facebook page you got this from?

dirtyone
04-08-2015, 01:08 PM
https://www.facebook.com/jason.plumer?fref=tsread some of the speedway owners posts, see for yourself how he feels

dirtyone
04-08-2015, 01:09 PM
https://www.facebook.com/peoriaspeedway?fref=ts

Barbecueboy
04-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Being in the alcohol business for over 30'years and knowing the state and federal laws like I do......the owner has a valid point about verifying someone's alcohol concentration.

That being said, if he doesn't think that someone is sliding in flasks in there boots, mini bottles in there bra , getting hammered prior to even going in, etc etc.......he is fooling himself.

I like his stance on making it family oriented, but his re charge idea is going to drive the folks away, and the non drinkers won't be there when he needs them.

Just put somebody in the parking lot for goodness sake.........and if his bartenders aren't serving the drunks the alcohol ( because they are trained to spot drunkenness) and would be breaking the law to serve somebody already intoxicated then why fight this fight with the folks that support you every week.

Put somebody at the gate.......if they come back in hammered, then they don't get in.

Simple as that.

dirtwriter
04-08-2015, 01:36 PM
being in the alcohol business for over 30'years and knowing the state and federal laws like i do......the owner has a valid point about verifying someone's alcohol concentration.

That being said, if he doesn't think that someone is sliding in flasks in there boots, mini bottles in there bra , getting hammered prior to even going in, etc etc.......he is fooling himself.

I like his stance on making it family oriented, but his re charge idea is going to drive the folks away, and the non drinkers won't be there when he needs them.

Just put somebody in the parking lot for goodness sake.........and if his bartenders aren't serving the drunks the alcohol ( because they are trained to spot drunkenness) and would be breaking the law to serve somebody already intoxicated then why fight this fight with the folks that support you every week.

Put somebody at the gate.......if they come back in hammered, then they don't get in.

Simple as that.

amen!!!!!!

CIRF
04-08-2015, 03:29 PM
https://www.facebook.com/jason.plumer?fref=tsread some of the speedway owners posts, see for yourself how he feels

https://www.facebook.com/peoriaspeedway?fref=ts

Thanks guys.

drtrkr244
04-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Being in the alcohol business for over 30'years and knowing the state and federal laws like I do......the owner has a valid point about verifying someone's alcohol concentration.

Simple as that.

That wouldn't work bbb, its TOO simple. Most track owners/promoters don't understand that principle.

A great business mentor, my dad, taught me along time ago, NOT to base my business decisions on the exceptions. That is what appears this track promoter is doing and will eventually fail!

Barbecueboy
04-08-2015, 08:51 PM
That wouldn't work bbb, its TOO simple. Most track owners/promoters don't understand that principle.

A great business mentor, my dad, taught me along time ago, NOT to base my business decisions on the exceptions. That is what appears this track promoter is doing and will eventually fail!

I've never quite heard it put like that before, but your dad gave you some great advice....

It just seems like there is some other sort of underlying current that is driving this new policy.........

Make the snack bar food worth eating( buy the 20 cent hot dog instead of the 10 cent one, get creative with the nachos ,come up with a signature track menu item,use better ingredients and charge 50 cents more for the quality, people WILL gladly pay extra for quality and taste and creativity).......monitor the drinking situation in the parking lot and ban folks that are causing the problem, I would almost bet that 10 % of the people are causing 90% of the problems.

Better to flush those 10% out of the equation now than make it hard on the other 90% down the road.

Their smart, they will figure it out.........