PDA

View Full Version : bump stops

fordtbirdracer
04-08-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm trying to learn about how to use bump stops on the shocks .what shock valving and what springs

Racer96m
04-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Best advice I can give is talk to a reputable shock guy. Alot goes into it, a million different variables, it has to be set up as a package, you just dont throw a stop on a shock. I know just about enough to make me dangerous, lol

Dave

7uptruckracer
04-09-2015, 02:18 PM
I don't know about you but that's asinine information. My shock builder always asks me what springs I'm running I tune mine myself now to on my non double adjustables. Your shock has to be able to control your spring and if you one a bumpstop thats more rate that is going to need to be taken into account to be able to control the attitude of the car, if you are on a bump of any kind he will also need to know if your using it for a tuning tool or a travel limiter so he knows what kind of bleed you might be looking at. You also need to take into consideration what kind of bump you are using you also have bump springs which require a lot more rebound. I also tell them what kinda of rules I have sometimes you need more bleed if you have ride height rules you need to pass or its its a rough track you don't need a car that will ratchet down over bumps. A good shock builder who works with bumps can give you exactly what you need. There are even guys who have custom builds for stock mounting position shocks. As far as what springs you want one that is going to get you TO the bump then you need to decide how soon you need it to get there. To stiff and you might not even get to the bump. You can always space the bump up but if you want max travel you might not want to do that. IF you go to soft you will contact it too quick and add to much wheel load to quick to stuff and you might contact it to late in the corner and will underload your tire. Find out who in your area works with them a lot of guys on here use them. Provide as much info as possible and know what you have. RE suspension has good charts and info on their different kinds of bumps so does Right Foot Performance. Get as much knowledge as you can and TEST

Racer96m
04-09-2015, 03:01 PM
9x, you are probably correct that not many will have information on using bumps on a "Stock Car". I personally dont think it will work for anything other than a limiter and in that case you probably need more spring. Its not like you have a 4bar rear jacking weight against it on a Stock, but nothing wrong with learning everything you can.

Dave