PDA

View Full Version : Tire Bleeders / Needling

ChadJacks
04-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Has anyone in the UMP Modified world ran bleeder valves on their rear tires? Thinking this would be an advantage due to foreseeable issues with the new A40S. Also what are the advantages of needling tires?

LFMotorsports
04-09-2015, 10:00 AM
I believe bleeder's are illegal but I know a few people that run or did run them. Bleeders are suspect to not function correctly with all the dirt flying, but that's an opinion. A bunch use Nitrogen to help with the air pressure gains. Have not heard on the needling side of things.

Dirtrunner35
04-09-2015, 10:31 AM
i use them with no problems

Anonymous24
04-10-2015, 02:07 AM
Just use dry air or nitrogen

ChadJacks
04-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Just use dry air or nitrogen

We currently use nitrogen. Just seeing if bleeders or needling the tires will help reduce tire temps?

Racer96m
04-10-2015, 08:26 AM
I've run bleeders in the past. IMO they are more of a pain than they are worth. If you bang the cushion with the RR it will bleed off, hit a big hole, it will bleed off, you get the idea, so give me a tire that grows a little, at least I can plan for that. Needling, ya I've tried it. To be honest I never saw any advantage.

Dave

demon88
04-11-2015, 07:46 PM
we use to run them a lot at Eldora in the features and win with them seemed to help but had one stick one night leading and tire went flat , never ran them again

Anonymous24
04-12-2015, 03:32 PM
We currently use nitrogen. Just seeing if bleeders or needling the tires will help reduce tire temps?I like to prep the tire with a siping blade to keep temps down. Always use a pyrometer to obtain tire temps. Internal temps of the rubber are often way different than the surface temps. Tire operating temperatures are usually higher than what most of us believe them to be. The temps also can tell us if we have proper air pressures and camber settings. As for bleeders, I do not recommend them. They are very high maintenance and can allow your tire to lose pressure due to malfunction.

7uptruckracer
04-13-2015, 09:42 AM
We run them alot of asphalt but you have to clean them religiously, replace the seals frequently, If you are having a buildup issue you can drop the pressure a pound maybe two and account for buildup you will have a tire thats spongy for maybe a lap or two but by then you've gained your pound or two back. It wont be as quick on dirt as it is asphalt. If our tires on asphalt operate best at 28 29 pounds on the the rights we will start at 21. An improper contact patch due to over inflation is a handling killer. I would never run bleeders on dirt. Use a probe get internal temps. See if the temps are in your compounds range of temp. If you are stuck with a certain compound and can grove or sipe tires use that to help control your temps. You can cut circumferential grooves to help air cool the tires

Dirtrunner35
04-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Im glad i don't have the problems you guys have with bleeders

stock car driver
04-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Im glad i don't have the problems you guys have with bleeders

Im glad siping makes my hard IMCA tires fire sooner and run warmer, if they ran cooler from all the siping Id be in real trouble they might only be good as the features were ending.