PDA

View Full Version : Bloomquist to race the slocum 50 tonight at 34 raceway!!!

34 Raceway
04-18-2015, 01:34 PM
YES, RACE FANS... HE'S HERE IN OUR PITS AT 34 RACEWAY... WINNER LAST NIGHT AT FC.... BUT HE'LL BE COMPETING FOR $10,555 TONIGHT IN HONOR OF BRENT SLOCUM...

PITS OPEN AT 3, GRANDSTANDS 5, TIME TRIALS 6:15

ADMISSION... ONLY $20!!!!

By Matt Levins
The Hawk Eye
MIDDLETOWN — Scott Bloomquist is one of the most well-known and accomplished late
model drivers in the world.

Through the years, the Mooresburg, Tenn., driver has won over 500 feature races, won
over $1 million dollars and raced at more tracks than he can remember.
Bloomquist will make his first stop at 34 Raceway in five years tonight, where he
will compete in the Slocum 50 with $10,555 at stake for the winner.

Bloomquist added 34 Raceway to his schedule when the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt
Series race, scheduled for Friday and Saturday at Batesville Motor Speedway in
Batesville, Ark., was cancelled due to heavy rain.

For Bloomquist, who was born in Fort Dodge and spent plenty of time on his
grandparents’ farm outside of Des Moines, it is a chance to return to his roots. And
it’s a chance to come back to 34 Raceway for the first time in five years.

“We like coming up to that race track,” Bloomquist said Wednesday night in a
telephone interview. “We’ve enjoyed some success there and we’ve always enjoyed the
race track. It’s a little sentimental for me because of my relationship with (former
34 Raceway owner and late model driver) Johnny Johnson. Just being up there again,
we have so many fans who get chance to come out and see us that don’t normally get
to see us.

“My family comes from a long list of farmers. My sister and I spent a lot of time on
our grandparents’ farm. My grandfather used to work the farm and it seemed like he
was always playing horseshoes. I have a lot of fond memories of growing up in Iowa.
I’m really looking forward to coming back there.”

Johnson helped Bloomquist out along the way and Bloomquist returned the favor,
making several stops for big shows at 34 Raceway through the years.

Johnson died in 2011, but Bloomquist has not forgotten what Johnson did to help his
career. Now, Bloomquist wants to be part of another special event — the Slocum 50.
“Johnny Johnson was a hell of a man. He was a very generous man. I learned some
thing from him that have helped my racing career, so I always tried to help him as
much as I could. Losing him was like losing a member of my family, like losing my
father or grandfather,” Bloomquist said. “I was talking to some people about what
the (Slocum 50) is all about . I enjoy being a part of something like that. I’m
looking forward to coming up there. We have a lot of fans and friends up there who
are excited about us coming up and they are looking forward to coming out and seeing
us.”