PDA

View Full Version : Limited late - z link option

Dirtmod13
04-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Ran 3 practice sessions with the clamped in front of the left rear. Car was really fast. Track owner took away the option to use clamped up. Now Only 2 options are bolted to birdcage ( so it rotates away from the spring in the corner) or z-link. Now i can see how the z- link would rotate into the spring just like a clamped up setup, but is a z- worth trying? Another car there had it and he looked to be quicker than the others. Does anyone still use this setup? What spring?

2old4this
04-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Call cj rayburn he will talk to you no matter what car you have.

Bcollins82
04-29-2015, 06:17 PM
They won't let you put it on the forward arm and run it on swingarm?

save the racers
04-29-2015, 07:57 PM
We ran a z-link with spring on the swing arm car .It was easy to set up and adjust, had a wide sweet spot.Best i remember had a 400 r/s spring,500 l/s with at least 150lbs of bite.

Dirtmod13
04-30-2015, 12:06 AM
We ran a z-link with spring on the swing arm car .It was easy to set up and adjust, had a wide sweet spot.Best i remember had a 400 r/s spring,500 l/s with at least 150lbs of bite.Yeah, rule is 4 link or zlink only. Coil over must attach to birdcage. No clamp.Must be mounted in front of axle on left rear. Everything else is open. But we have a shock rule so no adjustable or re-valved shocks. Installed zlink tonight and cycled it through. Doesn't rotate a whole lot into spring. But definetly more than the 4 link with spring attached ahead of axle on birdcage on LR. Tried soft spring to get some preload and have spring rate on LR at full drop but even at 125# it has a couple inches of gap between spring and top of coil over cup/ mount. 225# had 4" of gap.

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Yeah, rule is 4 link or zlink only. Coil over must attach to birdcage. No clamp.Must be mounted in front of axle on left rear. Everything else is open. But we have a shock rule so no adjustable or re-valved shocks. Installed zlink tonight and cycled it through. Doesn't rotate a whole lot into spring. But definetly more than the 4 link with spring attached ahead of axle on birdcage on LR. Tried soft spring to get some preload and have spring rate on LR at full drop but even at 125# it has a couple inches of gap between spring and top of coil over cup/ mount. 225# had 4" of gap.

Need really long trailing arm.

Dirtmod13
04-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Need really long trailing arm.Top / rear , used the longest bar we could find. Wondering about indexing birdcage a little bit differently, wonder if that'll get the wrap into the spring. Wondering about that for the 4 link also. Since its mandated to be in front- it indexes away from the spring. But maybe indexing and maybe moving one or the other closer/ further from the normal mount on points where bars bolt to birdcage we could lessen that negative effect.

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Top / rear , used the longest bar we could find. Wondering about indexing birdcage a little bit differently, wonder if that'll get the wrap into the spring. Wondering about that for the 4 link also. Since its mandated to be in front- it indexes away from the spring. But maybe indexing and maybe moving one or the other closer/ further from the normal mount on points where bars bolt to birdcage we could lessen that negative effect.

The old Rayburn geometry with 32" trailing arm works pretty well for your application.

You could move the lower link closer to the axle and get a lot of angle in it. 20 degrees at least

save the racers
04-30-2015, 08:39 PM
We added the longer rear bars the second year.The car was very quick on the little bull rings.We could get it to hike the l/r up high if we wanted.It was never any faster like that.

Dirtmod13
05-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Update. First race, first ever feature win in Usra limited late model class. I appreciate all the help and discussion/ ideas all of you have given to my posts and others as well.I think it was possible only because of things you guys have posted and taking the time to help us guys out. Thank you.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Nice of you to let us know. Congrats!

TheJet-09
05-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Congrats on your win! Now your competitors are going to be looking at what you're doing.

Dirtmod13
05-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Congrats on your win! Now your competitors are going to be looking at what you're doing.Right?! So we need to cover the rear end because what we did is so simple if they see it they'll duplicate it. What is the rear cover called and where do u get them. Some are printed.

Punisher88
05-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Modern Images can make them for you and if you get him to do your wrap he can even print them to line up with your wrap and match it when on the car. Tell him Russ Ogletree sent you if you contact him.(706) 681-4665

Punisher88
05-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Kind of interested in clamping the left rear like was discussed earlier? Is there a specific bracket you buy to do this and do you remove the traction shock and just clamp the shock with the spring in front of the axle to wrap into the spring when under throttle? Thanks for any info.

Dirtmod13
05-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Kind of interested in clamping the left rear like was discussed earlier? Is there a specific bracket you buy to do this and do you remove the traction shock and just clamp the shock with the spring in front of the axle to wrap into the spring when under throttle? Thanks for any info.With my car , it has bolt holes on the inside "clamp" of the birdcage. Just pulled bolts out that held shock mount to birdcage and bolted it from the clamp. Clamp is the closest part to the gear case/ center section. Felt really good on my car. But track wouldn't allow it.

Punisher88
05-04-2015, 09:38 PM
So you removed the traction shock and moved that bracket up? Did you do anything on the shock adjustments for rebound or compression. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Krooser
07-04-2015, 03:23 AM
Are you running @ MTS Fountain City?

Molson29
07-05-2015, 01:50 AM
Yes he does run MTS.

Krooser
07-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Kinda figured… thanks.