PDA

View Full Version : Soft tire grooving question

Sciatic nerve
04-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Running 1300s 1325s and 1350s at local track. If the track stays decent on these cold nights I believe you can get away with all 1300s. I'm cutting most rear tires across the factory seam then splitting them for most these compound them double siping each block. How would be a good way to cut the 1300 to make it last longer. It's a non abrasive surface that has long straightaways.

midge43
04-29-2015, 12:50 PM
don't cut the blocks in half and leave them larger but spread your sipes out a little further to heat the entire block so it doesn't blister in the center.

Sciatic nerve
04-29-2015, 03:21 PM
don't cut the blocks in half and leave them larger but spread your sipes out a little further to heat the entire block so it doesn't blister in the center.If you cut just on the factory lines then. How May sipes would you go across each block and what what depth? Thanks.

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-29-2015, 03:37 PM
If you cut just on the factory lines then. How May sipes would you go across each block and what what depth? Thanks.

No one can give you the perfect answer for your driver, setup, and dirt. Start conservative and go from there.

grt74
04-29-2015, 06:38 PM
the problem is your going to waste a tire or two learning,keep cutting them until it chunks and then back up a little

Sciatic nerve
04-29-2015, 08:24 PM
I wasn't so much asking for the perfect answer. Just wandering what kind if siping people have tried that will work on a soft tire with big blocks. I know I got to sipe it some but with a block that big I was curious what all you have found to work good to keep from blistering or chunking. Thanks.

grt74
04-29-2015, 09:51 PM
I wasn't so much asking for the perfect answer. Just wandering what kind if siping people have tried that will work on a soft tire with big blocks. I know I got to sipe it some but with a block that big I was curious what all you have found to work good to keep from blistering or chunking. Thanks.

really not trying to be a wise guy,there are some tracks that we can get away with siping alot and some tracks that i won't sipe any,its very track dependent,keep good notes,also look around at what the guys up front are doing to there tires,as far as cutting and siping

drtrkr25rjr
04-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Be sure to groove the fronts on a 35-45 degree angle and the rears straight across.

Sciatic nerve
05-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Ok. I'll start again. Wasn't posting this in search of finding the magic elixir. Was more so posting this for an answer on what guys possibly could of tried that would make for a good starting point was all. I'm certain I have to sipe the larger blocks but eith that kind of area to cover was just trying to get an idea on what that large of a block would need to handle the heat. Or am I better off splitting the larger blocks and going with a thinner blade and maybe then no sipes. P

midge43
05-01-2015, 01:14 PM
you could try many different things to get it to last. if you go with a larger block you could try no sipes or 1-6 sipes. I've been told circumfrence sipes will release heat and sipes that go across the tire will gain heat. a lot depends on your track surface, how much the driver is sliding the rr, what groove their in, outside temp. It's literally all trial and error. You may have a tire that lasts the whole race but takes 5 laps to fire and is poor on restarts. we have had success on our track when we just ran the bigger block with 2 sipes across the tire. it's important not to cook a 1300 or it goes away in a hurry. they aren't meant to handle a lot of heat but you don't want to give it too many edges with sipes to give it more heat in a smaller area. try to distribute the sipes evenly across the tire and not go too deep. Talk to your local Hoosier tire rep and he will most likely give you a ton of knowledge that will be very helpful. Those guys want to sell you tires and see you succeed with their products because it makes them look good.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-03-2015, 09:04 AM
you could try many different things to get it to last. if you go with a larger block you could try no sipes or 1-6 sipes. I've been told circumfrence sipes will release heat and sipes that go across the tire will gain heat. a lot depends on your track surface, how much the driver is sliding the rr, what groove their in, outside temp. It's literally all trial and error. You may have a tire that lasts the whole race but takes 5 laps to fire and is poor on restarts. we have had success on our track when we just ran the bigger block with 2 sipes across the tire. it's important not to cook a 1300 or it goes away in a hurry. they aren't meant to handle a lot of heat but you don't want to give it too many edges with sipes to give it more heat in a smaller area. try to distribute the sipes evenly across the tire and not go too deep. Talk to your local Hoosier tire rep and he will most likely give you a ton of knowledge that will be very helpful. Those guys want to sell you tires and see you succeed with their products because it makes them look good.

Hoosier don't need you to succeed with their tires. They just give your promoter a little cash to allow no other tires.

zeroracing
05-03-2015, 11:07 AM
They stay very tight lipped when you ask actual questions past the entry level. "Trade secret"

swartzman
05-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Grt74 & mastersbilt both gave you good answers to your question.. Your going to have to figure out what it takes at your track,your driver,and so forth.. Other words like grt74 told you, get ready to trail and error it.. How many thousands deep your cuts are and so forth.. Jackie Boggs can take 1300's and win Lucas oil features at Portsmouth.. But he does not spin a tire while doing it.. Nor does he slide the car, what works for him,chances are will not work for you.. Not trying to be a smarta$$, but like grt74 said just keep trying until you find what works for you..