PDA

View Full Version : Bert trans Question

04-29-2015, 07:11 PM
when i put the car in reverse it wont move unless i pull back slightly on the forward gear shifter then it will move and it makes a lot of noise then it grabs direct drive and kills the motor i can pop it out of direct drive and try again and its always the same grind then grab then kills the motor. Im gonna open it up tomorrow night, just wondering if anybody has ever had this problem and maybe can point me in the right direction as to what i should be looking for?

Dirtracer50
04-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Has it been rebuilt recently or taken apart for any reason? Sounds like the two shafts that handle the shifting may be installed incorrectly. If they are upside down or something the detent notches wont line up correctly and it may be trying to engage two gears at the same time.

04-30-2015, 05:01 AM
It has been opened up since the beginning of last season. so im pretty sure the shafts are installed correctly since it worked fine all last year.A firend told me maybe a bent shifter fork? Anyone ever bent the direct drive fork and had similar problems?

dirtplay18
05-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Does low work correctly? Is so, it could be a reverse idler issue.

05-04-2015, 10:09 PM
yes low works correctly ...what do you mean by could be a reverse idler issue?

dirtplay18
05-05-2015, 11:30 AM
There may not be any teeth left on it, or it may not be engaging to the rear counter gear. Need to pop the cover off to know.