PDA

View Full Version : correct pump for rack...?

DRTRCR22
05-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Help... I replaced my wore out leaking Woodward rack with a new Sweet 4.5/185 valve unit. Everything was perfect for about 10 races... but last night the wheel kept jerking out of my hands coming out of the corners... pulling very hard left and diving to the infield causing me to spin out. It would clear up on the restart but the next lap would do it again...? It is suggested that it may be the front drive pump, and not the integrated servo or rack...? I have no idea how old the Sweet pump is, as it came with the car when I bought it...? Does anyone else agree it is probably the pump... and what replacement pump is best for this rack...??? thanks...

rakracing
05-03-2015, 02:37 PM
does it seem like it turns on its own, or does it get stiff at times almost like no ps and then you have ps, if it takes off on its then its probably servo or ive had the oring in the ram that keeps the fluid on one side or the other blow out because of wheel contact. if your still looking for a pump set up after years of messing around with v- pulleys and pumps recommend krc pumps with the serpentine pulley system, v-pulleys ,belts slip and make the wheel jerky on rough tracks.

DRTRCR22
05-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Yes... pulling out of the pits and onto the track it feels like it is pulling to the left... I figured it was just my stagger and cross setup... but it is more noticeable last night than ever before. I have had no major wrecks but have jumped the inside berm a couple times and over the cushion a couple times.... never had to repair any front end damage yet. Only jerks to left real hard coming out of the corners stepping in to the throttle...

rakracing
05-03-2015, 07:17 PM
I guess what im asking is does the ps rip the wheel out of your hand or does it get real hard and the car pulls left, have a hard time thinking its the ram, but have seen cheap rubber ps hoses chunk off inside and clog up the servo but usually no ps then.

DRTRCR22
05-05-2015, 07:22 AM
Rips it out of my hands... thought I broke fingers and wrists... :/

rakracing
05-05-2015, 07:43 PM
last time I had that happen it was the ram on the front of the rack, o ring in the center blew out, you said your old rack was leaking all over i'm wandering if you building to much pressure in the system possibly turning the pump to fast.

DRTRCR22
05-05-2015, 10:37 PM
well, the old rack had probably been on about 5 years or so... and was 'oozing - dripping' from the well worn seals and sloppy worn out bushings. After tearing into and seeing the wear I decided to replace it rather than send it in for rebuild at probably half the cost of a new one... plus I wanted a faster and softer ratio. I have not had chance to dive into this problem yet, and hope I can tomorrow. I hope it is something simple and stupid like a crushed line or dirt in the system...??? It seems like I read a thread abut this kind of problem on here a while back, but I can't find it and now think it might have been discussing the metric 605 box on some modifieds...???

rlj
05-25-2015, 09:36 PM
servo on rack and that is very lite valve will break valve and blow out seal i have 200 as a spare

DRTRCR22
05-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Well, finally got the problem solved... it was the pump itself and nothing to do with the new sweet rack. As soon as I popped the lid on the reservoir I could smell the burnt oil, then when I drained it had glitter in it. The belt was also almost burnt off (couldn't see that in the dark at the track). Put new pump and belt, blew out and flushed all the lines, and reloaded with full synthetic, and works perfectly again... won both my heat race and main event last night. Thanks everyone for your replies... ;o)