PDA

View Full Version : Forward traction

LIS20
05-07-2015, 12:12 AM
When exiting the corner and after a short distance on the straight away the car suddenly looses traction - i have changed bar angles, shocks, lr bite etc..
The only thing i have not done is with the lift bar - 300# spring at 36 inches. The problem is most noticable when the track [florence] slicks off. I have thought about a lighter spring, a progressive spring or a stacked spring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hucktyson
05-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Are you sure your not just hitting the slick part of the race track where everyone else is spinning ?

LIS20
05-07-2015, 09:52 AM
I am almost sure this is not the case - it appears like there is a point where traction just stops and the tire spinning begins ...

Matt49
05-07-2015, 01:24 PM
How much 5th coil travel are you getting? What are you using for a 5th coil shock?

TheJet-09
05-07-2015, 07:44 PM
How about gearing? Does your engine have a high torque curve maybe?

SLM98
05-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Soften the fifth coil that will help. Had that problem would spin tires at the flagstand went down to a 225

Bubstr
05-09-2015, 01:24 PM
How about gearing? Does your engine have a high torque curve maybe?

Good question. Some engines are like March, comes in like a Lyon and out like a Lamb. It's a balancing act between flat torque curve and total HP. You can check this, by raising gear ratio (lower number) and see if traction loss moves down the track some. There are a few things you can do about this. Check with your engine builder. Sometimes a go pedal, that you have to move farther to get full throttle helps. Poor man's traction control. One other thing to look at is ballast height, too low, will lose forward traction. These are if you have big problem. A smaller problem is probably in your set up, bars, springs, and shocks or even tire pressures and grooving.

I like to think the basic balance is a must and it makes all the bells and whistles work much better. Any tool that doesn't have to do much, always works better.