PDA

View Full Version : more or less gear on slick track ?

john94
05-13-2015, 09:37 PM
in a late model ,says car is loose on exit .

TheJet-09
05-14-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers/opinions on this. I believe you gear a car for corner entrance not exit. Taking gear out in the slick is a crutch. Not enough gear will make it harder to get slowed down enough on entry so you'll get on the brakes too hard which will cause a loose condition. Once you have the right gear for that track I don't notice many guys changing it throughout the night.

Dirt36
05-14-2015, 09:55 AM
I agree with Thejet-09, once a proper gearing is established, it is not changed too often. One thing to consider though, is your cam profile. I drove a car this past weekend that I felt the profile was off. I took gear out which resulted in less gear and RPM than I would like, but it helped avoid the sudden spike of power the cam gave the engine at a certain RPM until I was out of the corner. It was only noticeable when the track lost traction but made a big difference to this particular car. Just something to consider and my 2cents.

rakracing
05-14-2015, 04:27 PM
i'm with jet-09 on this gear for the track, adjust your throttle to get more travel, helps control wheel spin, we've even removed the secondary swirter on the carb on the slick stuff.