PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Speedway is forced to cancel June 4th AMS Show.

prodirtcar32
05-24-2015, 07:09 PM
For Immediate release:
May 24th, 2015

Cumberland Speedway is forced to cancel their 2015 Appalachian Mountain Speedweek show on Thursday, June 4th; Speedway readily pays total commitment to the series and drivers.

The Loco-Motives Appalachian Mountain Speedweek in conjunction with Cumberland Speedway is unfortunately forced to announce the cancellation of the June 4th Speedweek event at the Maryland track. The speedway was informed this past Saturday morning that their new guardrail will not be delivered in time to have it installed and in place prior to the Series making its first start at the newly revamped speedway. The race will not be rescheduled.

Speedway promoter Craig Knippenberg, General Manager Calvin Davis and Speedweek co-promoter Kurt Smith spent the better part of 36 hours on the phone trying to find a venue suitable for Cumberland to rent on June 4th that would enable the Speedway to keep their commitment to the series and its drivers as well as the fans. Certainly not from lack of trying, that plan could not be put together in the short amount of time prior to the scheduled date. Cumberland Speedway has pledged it's support to the series and its drivers and readily agreed to pay the total track point fund fee even though they were not contractually required to do so.

"It is just one of those deals out of everyone's control" stated series co-promoter Kurt Smith. "Calvin (Davis) called me first thing Saturday as soon as they were informed of the delay in getting their guardrail from the supplier. The last thing they wanted to do was not race and they were willing to do whatever it took and spare no expense to acquire the use of a facility to run under the Cumberland Speedway banner on June 4th. We reached out to Bedford, Lincoln and Hagerstown and twice we were real close to juggling things to make it work, but in the end, we just did not have enough time for the speedways and fairground to make the changes needed to slide Cumberland in on the 4th. I know Calvin and I have not slept much this weekend and Mr. Knippenberg is sick over the deal as everyone was trying to figure out what could be done. It really says a lot for this group that is running the speedway, as they were ready to take the risk of a another speedway's financial hit just to honor the agreement they have with us and our drivers. In the end, they have honored their total financial commitment to the series including their part of the point fund that will be awarded to our top 5 drivers at Hagerstown Speedway on June 6th. I really want to thank Ernie (Davis), Joe (Padula) and Alan (Kreitzer) who bent over backwards to try to help put something together at their speedways on such a short notice. We also have to thank Calvin (Davis) and Craig (Knippenberg) for trying to do whatever they could, I will say there is a lot of integrity in the group of people that is trying to bring racing back to what a lot of us call The Rock. Cumberland Speedway is in good hands moving forward and we can't wait to bring the series back there in 2016" added Smith.

Appalachian Mountain Speedweek Schedule:
May 29th - Bedford Speedway
May 30th - Port Royal Speedway
May 31st - Path Valley Speedway
June 5th - Roaring Knob Motorsports Complex
June 6th - Hagerstown Speedway