PDA

View Full Version : Tel Tac problem

Dirt36
06-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Has anyone had an issue with there tel tac not reading RPMs? Took a working one off the shelf to put in my car (of course replaced battery). It turns on when you flip the switch, reads 00 but when you crank the engine it doesn't show any readings? Only difference is this particular car has a 6ALN box instead of the regular 6AL. Thanks

Punisher88
06-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Well if you buy another don't buy a Longacre. I blew 2 motors before I finally realized the tach was ready about 500 rpm off. Really more than that probably. We couldn't get it to show over 75 no matter how much gear we put in and when we finally realized it was a tach issue two good motors were down the drain. I use only the needle tachs now.

Dirtfan04
06-10-2015, 12:54 AM
We have had issues with the Tel Tacs not working correctly with the new Crane optical pickup distributors and Crane ignition boxes that many seem to be going to these days. Crane provided us with some different wiring components that seemed to help the problem. They were very helpful.

centralpa43
06-10-2015, 08:26 AM
did you correct the internal setting? I think it has an A,B,C and D setting under the cover depending on cylinder and ignition. I'd start there.

Dirt36
06-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, it ended up not being hooked up to the pulse wire (brown) for the 6ALN box. I was to use to the older style 6AL boxes and the side plug in.