PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Late Model Triple Crown

Central IL Dirt
06-09-2015, 07:23 PM
With all this talk of the horse racing triple crown, what would you consider the triple crown of our sport?

It's probably safe to say the first leg took place this past weekend...

Scott Boesel
06-09-2015, 07:37 PM
World, Dream and DTWC

pink floyd
06-09-2015, 07:47 PM
World, Dream and DTWC

i'll second that

Pennsboro23
06-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Third that.

SLMDIRTTM
06-09-2015, 08:18 PM
World, DTWC and any other crown jewel than the Dream. One track shouldn't have more than one race!

BadlandsBandit12
06-09-2015, 08:24 PM
I agree with SLMDIRTTM. The World 100, DTWC, and Knoxville Nationals.

Central IL Dirt
06-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Okay, next question. Has anyone ever won your triple crown?

BadlandsBandit12
06-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Bloomquist came close last year!

amalone09
06-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Moyer in 2010 won The Dream, World and all 3 nights at Knoxville.
http://billymoyer.com/schedule2010.html

Catfish N Rice 11
06-09-2015, 11:42 PM
I dont know if you can really call it a Triple Crown, too many good races. DTWC, Dream, World 100, World Finals, Knoxville Nationals, Show Me 100 could be in the mix, i know im forgetting plenty, but out of all of them id say Dream because its $100,000 to win, World 100 Because of the history behind it and the famous globe trophy, and problably the Knoxville Nationals just because theres always great racing there. Just my personal opinion

Highside Hustler25
06-10-2015, 06:34 AM
there are a whole lot of racers that would tell you that they would rather win the Dream than the World. That extra 50 some thousand has some clout.

Oley's Uncle Bloomer would tell ya so himself.

Bforwarned
06-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Any triple crown should occur on 3 different tracks and different part of the country. It should be made to show who is most versatile. I agree 1 of the 3 should be at Eldora. Maybe 1 at Knoxville. Then the last could be possibly Cedar Lake or ???? So long as its a racey track and not a follow the leader track. I would vote for Silver Dollar Nationals. Those who have never been are really missing out as the racing there is always top notch.

W2Racing09
06-10-2015, 08:41 AM
World 100, Knoxville LM Nationals, and USA Nationals.

I think this year the DTWC is more important to many drivers, but most years it does not pay $100k.

Thanks,
Jeff.

zyoung25
06-10-2015, 08:47 AM
I'd have agree with it being at 3 different tracks. The races have to have some history to I'd think to be in this deal. Knoxville is a big one, no doubt about it. But it hasnt been around long enough IMO to be in he triple crown.

World 100 are Dtwc definitely 2 would be in the running. Ceder Lake, North/South, and maybe the Hillbilly would be my other choices. I know the Hillbilly lost some of its luster a few years back, but it's the oldest 100 lapper we have and it does pay good money again now.

This makes for a good discussion though haha.

WVRACEFAN
06-10-2015, 09:03 AM
The World finals doesn't have the large payout, but as far as the drivers the attend it is a crown jewel in my opinion.

TS3g
06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
I would say the World 100, DTWC, and the Show-Me 100

lokwaidid
06-10-2015, 10:44 AM
i'll go with the world 100 and show me 100, but the third one should not be another lucas race. the dtrc would be good , but it's lucas. what race is left that is not lucas?

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-10-2015, 11:00 AM
i'll go with the world 100 and show me 100, but the third one should not be another lucas race. the dtrc would be good , but it's lucas. what race is left that is not lucas?

I dont think the Show Me can really be considered any longer. It just isn't special anymore.

Pennsboro23
06-10-2015, 11:58 AM
In my opinion, the Show me isn't one of the top 3 races. World, Dream, DTWC, Knoxville...

lokwaidid
06-10-2015, 12:10 PM
in horse racing, the idea of the triple crown was 3 different types of tracks. i agree about the show me. lots of other guys just said that. eldora is one type of track. what crown jewels are on 1/4 and 3/8 mile tracks that draw cars from lucas and woo and your so called outlaws, so that all drivers have a chance to win the triple crown.

racenut
06-10-2015, 12:20 PM
In this part of the racing world, those three races would be the Macon Speedway Herald & Review 100, the Fairbury American Legion Speedway Prairie Dirt Classic, and the Eldora Speedway World 100
That's about as different as any three tracks you will find!

JMDraceHD98
06-10-2015, 12:27 PM
World 100, Knoxville Nationals, USA Nationals

W2Racing09
06-10-2015, 01:13 PM
in horse racing, the idea of the triple crown was 3 different types of tracks. i agree about the show me. lots of other guys just said that. eldora is one type of track. what crown jewels are on 1/4 and 3/8 mile tracks that draw cars from lucas and woo and your so called outlaws, so that all drivers have a chance to win the triple crown.

By that criteria would this work?

Firecracker 100 @ Lernerville
Prairie Dirt Classic @ FALS
World 100 @ Eldora

Three great races, but I doubt you could put the PDC and Firecracker on any list and make them mean more than Knoxville, USA Nats and the DTWC.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Highside Hustler25
06-10-2015, 02:37 PM
In this part of the racing world, those three races would be the Macon Speedway Herald & Review 100, the Fairbury American Legion Speedway Prairie Dirt Classic, and the Eldora Speedway World 100
That's about as different as any three tracks you will find!

That's definitely a fine Midwest Triple Crown there.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-10-2015, 04:29 PM

I don't think you can really find 3 races at 3 different tracks. Let alone, 3 different types of tracks. There are very few races that all the big guys attend anymore. Kinda sad...

ride height
06-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Im not sure which three...world for sure...knoxville is a good one.....the third is hard cause it needs to be at another track. Whatever 3. That is something someone should sponsor and actually make it a reality. Would be fun to see if anybody can do it. I bet not. But the fact it IS. A real thing could elevate exposure to the DLM's.

PennDirt
06-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Horse racing's Triple Crown is structured around deep history. If you're going to recreate a fictional Triple Crown, you might as well start there. Three different tracks on three different dates is a must.

If you adhere to prestige and tradition:

1st leg:
North/South 100

2nd leg:
The World 100

3rd leg:
Dirt Track World Championship

No Dream you say? The Dream is more like the Breeders' Cup Classic. It's the richest horse race in North America with a purse of 5 million dollars. The Breeders' Cup is relatively new compared to the Triple Crown history. There has never been a serious consideration to mess with the Breeders' Cup to be a part of anything other than what it is and there never will be.

I have no argument for or against The Show Me, USA Nationals, Knoxville Nationals, The Firecracker and all the other annual 'ABC' 100s but simply Florence has been doing it consistently longer than the rest. Also, any track hosting our sport's Hall of Fame should really be a booming echo to the commitment to dirt late model racing.

If you adhere to a truly time-oriented schedule, it only makes sense to start with The World 100 because it is our Kentucky Derby, Super Bowl or any other sports superlative. The World will always carry the same weight of importance no matter what happens at the next crown jewel. Same with the Kentucky Derby, no matter what happens at The Preakness, the Derby is the one the horse world will flock to and remember. All Triple Crown hopes are started here.

That said, a calendar-correct Triple Crown:

1st leg:
The World 100

2nd leg: (and I disagree it should be but the King family isn't changing its hard-earned date for fan fiction)
The Knoxville Nationals

3rd leg:
Dirt Track World Championship

Josh Bayko
06-10-2015, 10:02 PM

The USA Nationals and Firecracker 100. Out of the two, I'd say the USA Nationals is more deserving, and I'm a Lernerville homer.

BadlandsBandit12
06-10-2015, 10:32 PM
I gotta say this is a great thread and it gives dirt late models new idea's. Something should be done about this and make it a reality!

Cheers

DestinyUnbound
06-11-2015, 11:44 AM
I think you throw out the dream and the world since those two are in a class of their own.

1) North/South
2) USA Nationals
3) Knoxville Nationals

Bonus $500K to win Triple Crown

cmmg42
06-11-2015, 11:48 AM
north/south
world
dtwc

satrdaynitedreamin
06-11-2015, 12:00 PM
These are all great picks. After going to our first PDC at Fairbury last year, I'd have to say they get my vote. We are still talking about that race. In fact we began making plans to go back while we were on the road home.

Barbecueboy
06-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Some racing "FRIENDS" of ours have told us to come with them to the pdc..........word is it's the best show of the year almost every single time.

On the list.

ride height
06-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Yea Fairbury is old and broke in for sure but man that place is awesome. Thats a really really neat venue. Cant explain it, you just have to go see for yourself.