PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier tires mounted opposite

thinkstomuch
06-12-2015, 06:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone ever mounts the Hoosier tires opposite the recommended, mold mark to the outside of the track? I ask because I'll run a D or A40s and the edges will get rounded but the tread is good. My thought is I flip it around and run the fresh edge. I'm not sure if it makes any sense why they could only mount one way

hipower17
06-12-2015, 08:46 AM
we do it. can't tell any difference

BlackMagic
06-12-2015, 08:50 AM
It was my understanding that the tires only needed to be mounted that way for the first heat cycle. Then you could flip them around if need be.

Racer96m
06-12-2015, 09:24 AM
I dont know anyone who doesnt flip there tires to run the best edges.

Dave

sobe92
06-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Mount them with the date code to the infield for the first heat cycle then after that flip as needed. The only tire you can not flip would be a sprint car RR since it has camber built into the tire.

stock car driver
06-12-2015, 04:11 PM
I don't even look for the date code any time, I wouldn't sweat it.

25drtrkr
06-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Hoosier claims the sidewall opposite the date code has more plies, i.e. has a stiffer sidewall. I've never flipped tires but many have, with no claims of lack of traction. So....to each his own, I guess????

Lizardracing
06-12-2015, 11:25 PM
I don't think even Hoosier knows!

I cut them up for disposal and I have never noticed any difference in side walls.

thinkstomuch
06-13-2015, 07:00 AM
I wondered if it wasn't a scheme to just have you replace the tire when the one edge is bad vs. flipping it. Seeing as how they are in the sales business. It's settled, I'm flipping

Anonymous24
06-13-2015, 10:45 AM
never flip rear tires. forward bite causes sidewall distortion which stretches the inner makings of the tire. if you flip it, the inner makings of the tire distort and stretch again, causing the tire to become too compliant. if you take care of the tires, you can easily remove the rounded edge of tread link. a tire that is working well wear the entire contact patch, not just the tread link edges.

stock car driver
06-13-2015, 01:12 PM
never flip rear tires. forward bite causes sidewall distortion which stretches the inner makings of the tire. if you flip it, the inner makings of the tire distort and stretch again, causing the tire to become too compliant. if you take care of the tires, you can easily remove the rounded edge of tread link. a tire that is working well wear the entire contact patch, not just the tread link edges.

Now that's a funny one there, maybe your best yet!

Anonymous24
06-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Now that's a funny one there, maybe your best yet!The joke around here is you Jeff.

HuckleberryB4
06-15-2015, 02:10 PM
What do you mean exactly, by "Too Compliant?"

oldtrackchamp4x
06-15-2015, 02:43 PM
I don't turn mine. The reason i don't is, when Hoosier Tire says: "Circle track racing tires: (includes both dirt and asphalt tires). Hoosier tires must be mounted with the SERIAL CODE located toward the infield." I don't think they are trying to sell more tires or just saying it for the hell of it. I'm pretty sure they know why they want them run that way. JMO

HuckleberryB4
06-15-2015, 02:52 PM
I've flipped them and won features the same night. No negative handling issues when doing so. If I had tons of money, I'd just buy new every 2-3 weeks. But that's definitely not an option.

let-r-eat
06-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Hoosier says this because their is camber built into the tire. Air them up and check it out for yourself.

pig tracker
06-15-2015, 04:04 PM
So if you run a right side tire on the left for whatever reason, you would have reverse camber?

stock car driver
06-15-2015, 05:31 PM
I don't turn mine. The reason i don't is, when Hoosier Tire says: "Circle track racing tires: (includes both dirt and asphalt tires). Hoosier tires must be mounted with the SERIAL CODE located toward the infield." I don't think they are trying to sell more tires or just saying it for the hell of it. I'm pretty sure they know why they want them run that way. JMO

yeah cus nobody false advertises. or puts stupid stuff on the internet or their websites... look up in this thread, camber, cus they say so, to compliant...

pills that guarantee weight loss
fluid dampner piece of junk
burger king has the best food

blncfn57
06-15-2015, 06:31 PM
So if you run a right side tire on the left for whatever reason, you would have reverse camber?

lol too much to grasp I guess....

oldtrackchamp4x
06-15-2015, 06:36 PM
So stock car driver once again you are right, in your mind. It could be proven beyond any doubt, and you would still argue the point. Like i told you before, G O F U C K Yourself. JMO

Bcollins82
06-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Idk what Hoosier mod tires you are dealing with, but the UMP D, A, and H do not have camber built in. I don't know of anyone that doesn't flip their tires to use the best edges. And I've never seen one of these tires flipped and become "too compliant". Hoosier proves over and over that they are about their pocket, not the racers. It's not in their immediate best interest to tell everyone how to make their tires usable for a longer time by flipping them. They aren't referred to as the Purple Mafia for no reason....

let-r-eat
06-16-2015, 12:50 AM
Got some real dandies in here. Hoosier is just saying that to sell more tires. Keep on believing. Air them up and check it. Simple to do.

Anonymous24
06-21-2015, 06:56 AM
What do you mean exactly, by "Too Compliant?"Side wall compliance. The tire is also a spring if you think about it. Sidewall compliance dictates contact patch dynamics. You do not want the contact patch to distort. When this happens you lose traction.

stock car driver
06-22-2015, 05:42 PM
distortion is traction, if the sidewall wasn't compliant you would have no side bite and no forward drive.

zeroracing
06-22-2015, 09:07 PM
I posted but it was lost in that whole missing day issue.

I contacted Hoosier a few years ago about the mounting issue, they recommend serial numbers to infield because the way they put the rubber on the tire carcass. Running it with the serial number to infield runs it with the grain they lay it, premature tire failure could occur if ran opposite. The issue is more pronounced on asphalt or high wear dirt tracks, and is rare. Once the tire goes through a heat cycle your fine to flip it as often as you want to.

They also stated that only some of their sprint car tires are cambered, only some. If you have any mod or late model tires showing camber it is by pure chance.

Yes tire distortion is a major component of traction, a solid rubber wheel has almost no grip because it does not comply, that said too compliant can cause tire shake. You can see it on some slow motion wingless sprint cars.