PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Springs vs 3-Link

dereksehi
06-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Running a IMCA Northern Sportmod just wondering how a stacked leaf would compare to a 3-link with a solid pullbar and the panhard bar behind the rearend as far as forward drive and sidebite and if anyone has driven both.

langdonracing48
06-17-2015, 10:04 PM
There is no comparison. 3 bar is far better, and much easier to tune.

langdonracing48
06-17-2015, 10:07 PM
With the panhard bar behind, you want to start with 180-200# of bite. Try to have at least 55% rear. I scaled mine 58% rear, 53.5% left, I can't remember cross for sure but i think I was around 52%. That was with driver.

dereksehi
06-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Ok that's what I was wondering all I have ever ran is the stacked leaf and I'm seriously considering changing to a 3 bar.

dereksehi
06-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Ok I kind of figured the leafs would have more torque absorption than the solid link but figured with the rear steer and tuning capabilities of the 3-bar the bar car would be able to get through the corner faster or am I mistaken on this?

dereksehi
06-18-2015, 09:55 PM
The last 2 years I had been able to compete with a stacked leaf car but I got a different car and haven't been able to find success with this one in fact went from being a top 5 car to not even making the top 10 that's why I've been considering getting it converted to a 3 bar this winter I've done quite a bit of research on them and believe I understand how they work.

Reddy Powered
07-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Not sure about your rules but if you take the leafs on the LR and move them all forward ( drilling a new hole for the pin) and even add another leaf, you'll really help your forward bite. This is kind of the "fast boys" setup but without doing all the arching of the spring and without floating the RR. what happens is, when you get in the throttle it drives the LR tire down into the track. I did this in a limited late model type class for a few years and won two track champs. Also beat every four bar car I raced against at some other tracks. Loved it.