PDA

View Full Version : Soft front springs

hunterracing
06-18-2015, 12:06 PM
When goin soft springs what are affects say goin 100 lbs lighter bother sides down to 550 and 500 does it plant front harder in to center and how much does it hurt exit

save the racers
06-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Softer on the front will make the car looser or not as tight.It has the biggest effect in the middle.If the car is bad in the middle and you get it better in the middle, then the exit will be better.If you only soften the l/f entry will be effected the most ,with some effect in the middle.

hunterracing
06-18-2015, 06:42 PM
So softer overall should plant front better in N to middle to turn on and off gas?

save the racers
06-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Off the gas ,yes the front will stick better.On the gas, should stick better.It gets complicated on the gas because the l/r could be driving to hard or a few other things can cause a push in the middle.

hunterracing
06-19-2015, 02:04 PM
So should everything else stay same on exit jst fixing in to to center bcs your keeping same split jst dropping rates on both sides

HuckleberryB4
06-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Exit won't feel as tight because you are reducing LR drive due to the RF being softer. But if you get better through the center, you'll be faster overall by carrying momentum through the entire corner. Reducing both front spring rates will free you up on entry and reduce LR drive off, but it will transfer more weight to the RF (planting the RF) to steer more positive through the corner. Just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

hunterracing
06-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Get front stick better and turn goin without front end washing up I got 650lf 600 rf now I could scoot rr back it's 3/8 forward but that will hurt more side bite

HuckleberryB4
06-19-2015, 03:11 PM
rr back will loosen drive off more than the front spring change. Change the front springs and try it, it should be a start to what you're after.

stock car driver
06-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Get front stick better and turn goin without front end washing up I got 650lf 600 rf now I could scoot rr back it's 3/8 forward but that will hurt more side bite

3/8 lead in the rr?

What rear suspension are you running? Ive never had anything but a push with a street stock and a 4 bar mod if I lead the rr even 1/8 where I measure at about the trailing arm mounts.

dirtracr33
06-20-2015, 11:04 AM
softening rf spring doesn't transfer more weight to that corner..rr maintains more weight on entry making it tighter on entry

hunterracing
06-20-2015, 12:11 PM
But if front is to stuff it's not letting transfer on decel which could Shea contact patch goin in correct? So if you soften both at sane time and amount it shouldn't affect but goin in correct?

save the racers
06-21-2015, 07:14 AM
YOu are always going to have wieght transfer on decel.The spring split will determine which side is getting the most.If you drop both springs the same amount entry won't change very much ,but the center will.Change the l/f spring to a 550 It will loosen the entry up, with the center being a little looser.

save the racers
06-21-2015, 07:24 AM
I think what you are saying about no transfer and shearing the patch would be correct if you had a pair of 1200 springs on the front.You are soft enough that the springs are working.On that little bull ring you are racing on I would be dropping the l/f.

hunterracing
06-22-2015, 08:13 AM
So dropping from 650 lf and 600 rf I went to 559 lf 500rf car wasn't as good off and still tight getting in so when goin softer does springs need to 500lf 550 rf or go back to 600rf an put 550 lf? And they say stiffer lf spring gives more side bite too?

powerslide
06-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Put the 600 back in the RF and put a 500 in the LF. Set the trail even up.

hunterracing
06-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Trial was only 1/8 I rechecked it.. But how much does it really affect having a stiffer lf spring? Does it give car Sidebite like they say

save the racers
06-22-2015, 09:24 PM
That stiff l/f spring stuff was started by Bob Bolles the editor of Circle track mag a few years back.The purpose is to get the front to take a set earlier to stop the front tires from scrubbing.With the higher speeds of an asphalt car and the wide nose pieces they have more down force to help entry.It works on dirt late model for the same reasons, plus they can move the a- arms and spindles to what ever they need.With a mod you have no down force and 1969 chevelle geometry.

TeamGRT12x
06-23-2015, 04:03 AM
That stiff l/f spring stuff was started by Bob Bolles the editor of Circle track mag a few years back.The purpose is to get the front to take a set earlier to stop the front tires from scrubbing.With the higher speeds of an asphalt car and the wide nose pieces they have more down force to help entry.It works on dirt late model for the same reasons, plus they can move the a- arms and spindles to what ever they need.With a mod you have no down force and 1969 chevelle geometry.

If you know what you're doing you can get some pretty good stuff going up front. We run 550-450 depending on track conditions on our RF.

hunterracing
06-23-2015, 08:34 AM
What bout left front spring? I know motor plays big part too.. And another how much should left rear spring be Angeles in at top or better have more straight up down bcs of motion

powerslide
06-23-2015, 08:59 AM
He is on IMCA rules, the corner entry speed is down compared to a USRA car w/ AR tires and a spoiler. IMCA has just come back to our area in the last couple years and that's the big thing I've noticed, the IMCA cars are 10-15 MPH slower on entry with those rock tires, also not having a spoiler really hurts them.

hunterracing
06-23-2015, 09:15 AM
So ur saying softer from springs want work with spoiler and ar tires? Or soft rf

powerslide
06-23-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm not saying it wont work you can never completely rule something out, but we haven't had any luck in our mod with it to date, I'm just pointing out the difference in his car vs yours. Maybe you need a $2000 set of shocks to make it work I don't know. We tried it for a couple years and as soon as we went back to conventional the car was more manageable. I don't think you are that far off from what you have given us. Try even up on the springs or softer on the LF if its tight on entry.

hunterracing
06-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Shocks are jri by bob Harris and probly jst swap them 500 lf 550 rf. other question what bout lr spring angle

hunterracing
06-24-2015, 10:02 AM
What are the affects of spring angles in the back lr and rr leaning in or out

MM90
06-24-2015, 12:17 PM
More angle makes the spring/shock softer. So if you lean the RR sping in it's like putting a softer spring on. The LR spring I don't know if the same is true or not. A couple of years ago it seemed like a lot of mod chassis were leaning in the LR spring quite a bit. Now it looks like a lot have the LR spring near veritical. I welded in a new bracket for my LR spring this year to take some angle out of it. Not really sure if it made a huge difference but the car is working better.

hunterracing
06-24-2015, 01:01 PM
My rr is leaned in but my lr is straight up down didn't know if that might affect car making it bounce from bein so straight up and down or not.. I know on late model I had book said move springs to the left at top for slick

powerslide
06-24-2015, 05:16 PM
If the RR is leaned in and closer to the center of the car you will need more shock to control the car. JRI should be able to get you dialed in give them a call about it.

hunterracing
06-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Rr shock is good jst curious bout angle and how mch lr sprig angle should be to

save the racers
06-25-2015, 09:33 PM
What gear would I need at crawford to turn 7500 with a spec head motor?