PDA

View Full Version : Winch battery

Wheelman33
06-19-2015, 11:58 AM
What kind of battery are you guys using on your winches? And how often do you charge them?

TheJet-09
06-19-2015, 12:11 PM
I've just been using an off the shelf 12v which I charge every weekend. I've been meaning to wire a 12v supply from my truck so it charges while going down the road...just been too lazy. I am, however, going to put in the Optima deep cycle I used to have in my car to see if it performs any better.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Optima Red Top date coded 1995. Used to be a race car battery.

06Tireman
06-19-2015, 03:58 PM
There was a 16 volt Turbo Start in our trailer when we bought it.. Wanna talk about pulling a car into a trailer in a hurry.. WOW..

AmickRacing
06-19-2015, 04:54 PM
I've got a regular deep cycle battery in my trailer, got a decent cheapie charger that charges anytime I have 120v to the trailer.

When I was using Dad's trailer we had a couple yellow optima batteries (old ones from the car), we charged them probably once a month, or when it'd barely pull the car into the trailer (aka when we'd forget).

Matt49
06-19-2015, 08:57 PM
We're pretty anal about charging batteries so it is on a 2 amp charge all day/night at the race track while the generator is running. Then all day Sunday at home while cleaning and usually unplug it Monday morning or Monday evening when I get home from work. Nothing worse than the winch quitting on you when you're trying to load up. First-world problems I guess :-)

grt74
06-19-2015, 09:13 PM
There was a 16 volt Turbo Start in our trailer when we bought it.. Wanna talk about pulling a car into a trailer in a hurry.. WOW..

thats what we use but MAKE SURE YOU CHARGE IT,if you let it go dead and put the charger on it and try to pull the car in it will kill the batt,but we only charged it every 3-4 weeks

stock car driver
06-20-2015, 09:23 AM
optima same size as race car so you have a spare if needed

charges with the truck going down the road and charges whenever the generator is running via a charger that's plugged into the trailer wall and wired to the trailer battery.

06Tireman
06-20-2015, 10:23 AM
We throw the charger on it every 2 weeks while at the track for a few hours.. Actually prefer it to not be fully charged..

centralpa43
06-22-2015, 12:57 PM
we run an Optima in the trailer that came out of the car from last year. if for whatever reason the one in the car goes bad we have a backup. also we run a battery tender on it from the time the car is unloaded until it's reloaded.

ledfootproducts
06-30-2015, 12:53 AM
Standard Walmart car battery with a very small trickle charger connected at all times. The trickle charger comes on with the generator. Been running for 3 years.

SRXSRULE
06-30-2015, 11:31 PM
optima was a great battery at one time, Now they have more failures then standard premium batteries. I had great results with Napa Legend batteries. Same battery in the trailer and race car, trailer battery charges anytime the truck is running and you never have to hook up a charger. Eric