PDA

View Full Version : sidebite question

taylor2727
06-22-2015, 09:18 PM
I have a generic question without regard to individual setups. What does everyone think the most effective adjustment to get more side bite into car while at the track . Jbar,right side bars, moving lead etc. Thanks for ur input

Matt49
06-22-2015, 10:34 PM
J-bar down on pinion

cjsracing
06-23-2015, 09:00 AM
For me personally it is moving the Jbar down on the pinion or shortening the Jbar.

JustAddDirt
06-23-2015, 11:24 AM
For me personally it is moving the Jbar down on the pinion or shortening the Jbar.

I agree with this

tin man
06-23-2015, 04:21 PM
raising weight up on the frame

25drtrkr
06-23-2015, 06:53 PM
lowering right bottom bar, lowering j-bar on pinion, stiffening lf spring

grt74
06-23-2015, 07:34 PM
springs and weight placement

Matt49
06-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Boys, keep in mind that the O.P. is asking about changes to make AT the race track. Moving weight is a pain the a$s and changing springs gets strange unless you gotta a smasher. I think we can almost all agree that the quickest way to find side bite at the race track is with j-bar. That being said, you can get your car too tight in a real big hurry. Been there, done that, and unfortunately continue to do that :-0

grt74
06-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Boys, keep in mind that the O.P. is asking about changes to make AT the race track. Moving weight is a pain the a$s and changing springs gets strange unless you gotta a smasher. I think we can almost all agree that the quickest way to find side bite at the race track is with j-bar. That being said, you can get your car too tight in a real big hurry. Been there, done that, and unfortunately continue to do that :-0

10-4,thats what i get for not reading or just skimming through,springs are still pretty quick but make sure to do it on the scales and write down all of the rounds,we almost never move the j-bar anymore,unless we go to hard tires

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-23-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't consider a spring change all that tough. I don't seem to have much issue.

taylor2727
06-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys so by a poll it looks like a jbar change is the quickest change at the track for sidebite gain another question would b have u guys ever tried raising both pinion and frame or lowering both at Same Time ( just wondering can pinion b too low and causing car to roll to quick and lose bite . Where raising both sides might help ) thanks ur awesome

PushinTheLimit
06-24-2015, 08:59 AM
As long as you keep the same ride heights when you change springs, shouldn't be that hard I wouldn't think. I've done that at the track a couple of times... maybe not as quick as a J-bar adjustment, but still can be done fairly quick. I also agree with the j-bar down on the pinion for more sidebite.

25drtrkr
06-24-2015, 11:14 AM

I agree with you Matt about moving lead. But I wonder if we're not crutching the setup with j-bar/rear steer adjs. Mark Bush made a comment recently in DLM about the necessity to change %'s when track conditions warrant them. I think I'm going to put the car on scales and figure out where to move lead, and quit being LAZY!

Matt49
06-24-2015, 11:54 AM
I agree with you Matt about moving lead. But I wonder if we're not crutching the setup with j-bar/rear steer adjs. Mark Bush made a comment recently in DLM about the necessity to change %'s when track conditions warrant them. I think I'm going to put the car on scales and figure out where to move lead, and quit being LAZY!

I don't disagree. Mark Bush is one of the best. Personally I think moving weight UP as the track gets slicker may be a better adjustment. Then your percentages are the same but you're promoting weight transfer without mechanically altering the car.

Or...get the weight where your car works best in the slick and the use the "crutches" to help free the car up early on when it's tacky.

PushinTheLimit
06-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Matt, that's kinda where I'm at with mine (weight moved while on the scales). I feel like my slick setup is decent, but I've always been too tight when it's tacky. I've been trying move bars and change springs only to get where it needs to be free enough early in the night. Still not there yet, but getting closer I think.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-24-2015, 03:13 PM
I don't disagree. Mark Bush is one of the best. Personally I think moving weight UP as the track gets slicker may be a better adjustment. Then your percentages are the same but you're promoting weight transfer without mechanically altering the car.

Or...get the weight where your car works best in the slick and the use the "crutches" to help free the car up early on when it's tacky.

I agree. We are trying to get the car in the right state at a dynamic moment in time. The static reference doesn't mean that much. Just so that we wind up in the right place on the track.

m_stagev
06-24-2015, 05:04 PM
I would like an answer to taylor 27 27 question also, it would seem that raising on frame and pinion both would favor the rr tire more but I have yet to see any opinions yet.

save the racers
06-24-2015, 09:41 PM
I think you have to define " sidebite" first.Some people use the term to describe a loose car,others to define a car with an over all lack of grip.

JustAddDirt
06-25-2015, 10:57 AM
does car scotch up on entry through middle in slick?
Does it feel like car is tripping onto RR tire and it is forcing it into track? being able to stay, or get back to throttle and car drive straight off corner?

OR

does it feel like car slides on entry,( depending on how driver enters corner) and through center, and you have to wait to get back on throttle?

billetbirdcage
06-26-2015, 04:23 PM
I would like an answer to taylor 27 27 question also, it would seem that raising on frame and pinion both would favor the rr tire more but I have yet to see any opinions yet.

Raising both ends of the j-bar will reduce lateral transfer by raising the roll center, thus typically loosening entry

save the racers
06-26-2015, 08:45 PM
We've tested raising the j-bar on both ends.It loosen the car in what we call the transition zone,Most people would call that late entry or early apex zone.Maybe just different wording between teams.Reducing lateral transfer, I can't agree with that ,but until I have data acquisition I can't ague it either.

Matt49
06-26-2015, 11:44 PM
CoG and RC. Find the points. Make a line. That line is your "moment arm". Longer it is, the more weight transfers under a lateral force of X. It's that simple.

swartzman
07-04-2015, 01:12 AM
Like grt74 said we very rarely move our jbar either, its just another crutch.(but one alot of people rely on) and yes moving the j-bar to far down will hurt you bad..

musolino21
07-12-2015, 09:24 PM
If I can remember correctly, Rocket suggests starting the J-Bar on the frame at 8.25". By feature time, on a wide-slick track, how far will teams raise the frame height of the J-Bar?

MBR Performance
07-14-2015, 04:49 AM
Rocket actually wants 8 3/4" bottom of frame rail to center of bolt. My guys and pretty much everybody else I talk to are at 9 1/4"