PDA

View Full Version : hot rr tire

outlaw4j
06-24-2015, 08:26 AM
so if your RR tire is considerably warmer than your left rear, what is this telling you?

I have heard both it needs more loading and less loading, so trying to get to the real deal

WOT114
06-24-2015, 11:20 AM
more cross in the car, you will increase the weight on the left rear and decrease the weight on the right rear

stock car driver
06-24-2015, 12:05 PM
more cross in the car, you will increase the weight on the left rear and decrease the weight on the right rear

From my experience you have it back wards... rr is hot because it is SPINNING.

Lr is hooked up, rr tire is dragging building extra heat. Could be bite, could be too much or too little stagger, could be all 3.

Good luck to the original poster, I suspect youll have to use your own judgment.

outlaw4j
06-24-2015, 02:26 PM
ok...this is where this topic usually ends up is as split.

I believe it is a loading issue because both tires spinning, or both tires are sliding.

So it is easy enough to do a test, but thoughts on if loading would be more from L%? or Cross %?

stock car driver
06-25-2015, 07:49 AM
ok...this is where this topic usually ends up is as split.

I believe it is a loading issue because both tires spinning, or both tires are sliding.

So it is easy enough to do a test, but thoughts on if loading would be more from L%? or Cross %?

If both tires were spinning or sliding then both would have extreme temps.

Racer96m
06-25-2015, 10:09 AM
The rule of thumb is "Feed the Heat" The tire that is hot needs more weight or less scrub in some fashion or another, lead, spring, jack adjustments, stagger, etc.

Dave

outlaw4j
06-25-2015, 03:04 PM
alright I will try both ways and see what works.

best analogy I have heard is to think of it like a bench grinder, both wheels are spinning the same, if you lightly touch something on one wheel lightly it will create a small amount of heat, if you press harder it gets hotter. So same with a spooled rear end.

stock car driver
06-26-2015, 12:08 PM

best analogy I have heard is to think of it like a bench grinder, both wheels are spinning the same, if you lightly touch something on one wheel lightly it will create a small amount of heat, if you press harder it gets hotter. So same with a spooled rear end.

Um I would go back to just reading on here and not posting if that's the best you've heard. That makes zero sense at all in relation to tires a rear end etc.

That's like the other guy who recently started posting and is going to remove his rear end from the car stand it up on end then measure tread to tread to see if its bent.... then hes replying and quoting himself in that same thread....

save the racers
06-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Had this problem earlier in the year on a modified.First thing was to drop 100lbs of spring out of the l/f,this was to free the car on entry.Car was to tight on entry and driver was breaking the r/r loose to turn the car.Next change was to add 25 lbs over l/r.Car needed more forward drive and I could tell by the tire heat the l/r wasn't working hard enough.Look at the overall problem with the car and make adjustments from there.

Dirt Racer
06-27-2015, 04:48 PM

Um OK then! wow!

Dirtwiz
06-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Think about it. The rear end is locked so that means both tires are traveling at the same rpm. The reason one is hot and one is not is because (like your grinder analogy) one tire is overloaded and one is under loaded. The car is loose. The RR has more load than it can handle and the LR isn't doing anything. Put some bite (cross weight) in your chassis and the LR will do some work too. Be careful not to overload the LR tho--your car works like an X and you'll load the RF too much and it'll push. The RF will gain heat and the LF won't.

stock car driver
06-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Think about it. The rear end is locked so that means both tires are traveling at the same rpm. The reason one is hot and one is not is because (like your grinder analogy) one tire is overloaded and one is under loaded. The car is loose. The RR has more load than it can handle and the LR isn't doing anything. Put some bite (cross weight) in your chassis and the LR will do some work too. Be careful not to overload the LR tho--your car works like an X and you'll load the RF too much and it'll push. The RF will gain heat and the LF won't.

In my case when I get this the car is tight and the lr is hooked up like a beast.....

blncfn57
07-18-2015, 08:28 AM
From my experience you have it back wards... rr is hot because it is SPINNING.

Lr is hooked up, rr tire is dragging building extra heat. Could be bite, could be too much or too little stagger, could be all 3.

Good luck to the original poster, I suspect youll have to use your own judgment.

That was my experience as well. The more bite I had, the hotter the rr tire got.

3dinter
04-12-2016, 03:30 AM
Im a lil lost on the fix,,,bigger rate spring on r/r ?