PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting 5th coil for entry

musolino21
06-26-2015, 05:29 AM
Is it a common adjustment to increase or decrease the compression and rebound of the 5th coil to adjust handling?

For example - Would decreasing rebound help loosen on corner entry?

Thanks for any input

HuckleberryB4
06-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Usually the 5th coil is around a fixed 3 valve on compression side. Increasing rebound will tighten entry. Reducing rebound will loosen entry.

hucktyson
06-26-2015, 09:57 AM
More rebound keeps the rear suspension loaded so tightens entry. If your not lifting it
Will have zero effect. Without checking on a dyno turning a knob might make a significant change or no change at all

billetbirdcage
06-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Is it a common adjustment to increase or decrease the compression and rebound of the 5th coil to adjust handling?

For example - Would decreasing rebound help loosen on corner entry?

Thanks for any input

Tony, typically it's not something I usually change as an adjustment once I find what a driver typically likes for his driving style and car, but doesn't mean it can't be used that way.

For many drivers I have tested this with, it's a bigger change then you'd think. Going from a 3 rebound to something like a 5 to 7, will for many drivers significantly tighten the car on entry. I've never really went a whole lot lower then a typical 3 so if that is roughly where your at, I can't say if you will see a big change going lower trying to loosen entry. However if you are in the 5 to 7 range, then it will likely help you and worth a try for sure.

A quick back up plan: if that doesn't get you where you need to be and your looking for more idea's, try throwing a couple spring rubbers in the 6th coil. I assume since I think you still have a rocket that your likely on a 400# or even a 300# 6th coil.

musolino21
06-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks Kent and thanks guys for your input. Yes Kent, we have a Rocket, bought our first new car this year and won 2nd night out. Car has been consistent, just needs a little fine tune for entry.