PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simpson

plunks7
06-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Chris had a fire in the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit last night at Park Jefferson. Came away with 2' burns to his leg. Glad he's ok, could have been worse

Anybody have the picture?

Birky.Fan
06-26-2015, 12:04 PM
DoD has a few

billetbirdcage
06-26-2015, 04:32 PM
The way the fire suit was burning, you'd have to guess the fuel line to the fuel pressure gauge was leaking or ruptured. If that was the case, I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often then it does. It's something very few people think about and check regularly

Glad he's ok

Brian Gray
06-26-2015, 09:04 PM
There is an easy fix

Get a fuel isolator! And get a real fire suit I guess .

It's funny that bill Simpson can set himself on full blaze for nearly a minute and walk away unscathed but Chris had this little fire yet got burned fairly bad.

This speaks tons to the neglect of safety in our sport ! But I guess most people don't care anyway.

Btw he's a club 29er right. You would think those guys knew better! But what do I know?

RRRKKK
06-26-2015, 09:32 PM
WOW what assumptions!

Tireguy17
06-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Brian Gray.....you do realize that Bill Simpson was most likely wearing a suit made for drag racers, much thicker than a dirt racer could wear. Doing some research you'D know your typical multi-layer firesuit that most professional racers wear only gives about 10 seconds of protection from fire.

blncfn57
06-27-2015, 04:54 AM
There is an easy fix

Get a fuel isolator! And get a real fire suit I guess .

It's funny that bill Simpson can set himself on full blaze for nearly a minute and walk away unscathed but Chris had this little fire yet got burned fairly bad.

This speaks tons to the neglect of safety in our sport ! But I guess most people don't care anyway.

Btw he's a club 29er right. You would think those guys knew better! But what do I know?

A real firesuit? Let me guess.... you know by the photo that it is the suit that is on fire and not gas or another flammable fluid burning on it or causing it to burn? You're right, what do you know? I'll take Ronnie and Darrells advice over yours any day. Let us know when you get Rayburn back on track, lord knows there isn't anyone else smart enough to do so.
As they say.... why is it that people that think they know it all don't know that they are stupid?

I just googled "blowhard" and a photo of you popped up.

blncfn57
06-27-2015, 04:55 AM
Brian Gray.....you do realize that Bill Simpson was most likely wearing a suit made for drag racers, much thicker than a dirt racer could wear. Doing some research you'D know your typical multi-layer firesuit that most professional racers wear only gives about 10 seconds of protection from fire.

You are wasting your time posting logic. You can't talk sense into a senseless person.

hucktyson
06-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Gray is too busy designing and building the shocks for the longhorn cars ...

hucktyson
06-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Right this second I'm at the gym. On a daily basis I'm busy designing and building the worlds finest deck and patio roof projects. BUT after the gym today I'm headed to finish my race car to hopefully run next weekend

Brian Gray
06-27-2015, 08:29 AM
I was informed his suit was a 7 layer from design 500.
Also that the fuel line from the gauge ruptured .

So with that info my assumption would be if that 4 layer that bill wore in the Indy test protected him from that inferno why did Chris sustain such a burn?

Why didn't the club install a $30 safety component?

When was the last time you seen a CEO put his a$$ on the line like bill did?

I don't believe there is a fire suit mfg left that would take that challenge. And if there is let's see it !

Baddboy1
06-27-2015, 08:42 AM
IF it was a fuel fire then it does not matter how many layers you have,the fuel soaks into the suit and you get burns.I agree with the fuel isolator. Gloves Should be manditory,but you can run a DOT helmet due to a SA helmet is recommended .

Brian Gray
06-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Bill Simpson dumped gas all over himself to perform the test at Indy. The fuel only burns where O2 is present. That's why we wear under layers.

This should be an eye opener not an argument!

Barbecueboy
06-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Right this second I'm at the gym. On a daily basis I'm busy designing and building the worlds finest deck and patio roof projects. BUT after the gym today I'm headed to finish my race car to hopefully run next weekend

Maybe you could design a nice enclosed decking system complete with wrap around windows to display your pristine race car in for public display.........kinda like a monument to your yourself and what you bring to the party every weekend.

A car that doesn't move , showcased by a guy that's mouth never stops moving.........yep, that's about right

Would look good in front of your double wide all glassed in and showcased like that.

Birky15Bfan
06-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Does anyone make an electronic fuel pressure sensor to go in the fuel line somewhere so you would just have a guage with wires coming to it in the dash?

Brian Gray
06-27-2015, 02:08 PM
^^^ I just put electronic ones from glowshift in the Swartz. I'm yet to see how they perform as I haven't finished this car but give me a couple weeks and I'll know how they hold up.

mcdaddy25
06-27-2015, 03:37 PM
A company called SPEK (?) makes a set of all electric gauges that use remote mounted sending units for all the gauges. This keeps all fluids outside the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit and away from the driver. I think their site is PROPOWERLLC.COM . Let me check.

mcdaddy25
06-27-2015, 03:48 PM
I checked and they are listed as Pro Parts gauges. Oh, I forgot to wish Cris well and a speedy recovery.